The Student Room Group

How did you cope with Year 11

I'm going into Year 11 and I'm kind of scared. What should I expect and how can I survive?

Scroll to see replies

i didn't cope
Reply 2
Original post by defenestrated
i didn't cope

me af

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I personally found year 11 great! I really enjoyed it. Concentrate on coursework from sept-Dec. Revise well for your mocks. I started revising for my real exams around March/Easter holidays. Prom for me was very good. Summers been great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zanner
me af

Spoiler

Thanks for your advice, I know I'm in safe hands with the teachers at my school so hopefully i'll get good results next year. We've done most of the GCSE course in Year 10 so I guess that its just perfecting the skills and knowledge that we have built up so far. :smile:
Original post by defenestrated
i didn't cope

Oh, well I'm very sorry to hear that :frown:
Original post by amyjf
I personally found year 11 great! I really enjoyed it. Concentrate on coursework from sept-Dec. Revise well for your mocks. I started revising for my real exams around March/Easter holidays. Prom for me was very good. Summers been great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying! I'll try not to get too overwhelmed with panic. :smile:
Reply 7
If you haven't already finished them, make sure you finish your courseworks way before Easter, hopefully if you've done most in year 10, you could finish them before or right after your first set of mocks. I didn't go to a particularly good school so even the brightest of students were still doing their coursework a week before exams begun.
Besides that, make sure you finish homework on time and familiarise yourself with the exam style by doing lots of past papers around Easter.
As long as you finish the course for all subjects before eater you should be fine.
The key is past papers and knowing the content and what the examiners want.
Stick with a positive mindset and you should be fine.
I'm just starting sixth form, and many A-level students tell me the real struggle is A-levels and GCSEs are a walk in the park.
Well I don't know yet but best of luck :biggrin:
Don't leave things to the last minute- if there is one thing I would go back and change, I'd do work the day it was given and relax. I can't stress enough how much you need to try and remain calm, relaxed, and don't let yourself drown in stress and worry like I did- for me that lead to health problems, and no exam is worth your health.
Just try your best. That's all you can do :smile:
good luck! have fun x
Original post by upbeat4
Thanks for replying! I'll try not to get too overwhelmed with panic. :smile:

It's really not that bad at all, tbh think it was one of my favourite years at school! Work hard but also let loose and have fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I would say work hard and take light notes till Easter. But at Easter just say to yourself you will have the worst 3 months of your life cuz that's pretty much what it is. But the actual exams come and go very quickly and u have an amazing summer after (at least I did).

Don't overstudy and make time for friends. My biggest mistake was isolating myself and I had to spend several weeks after I had finished GCSEs mending friendships. Work with them!

Good luck.
Set yourself a goal at the beginning of this year for what you would dream of achieving and seeing in your envelope next August. Then, just take everyday as it comes, work steadily but sustain focused study throughout the year. When mocks are approaching, take them seriously. If you have a test out of 20 - take it seriously and revise like they were 20 marks of your GCSE. By doing this, you are constantly refreshing older content and by the end of the year, you will find it much easier to revise and it will be a quicker process also.

Make notes whenever you can and ensure that when you are making your notes, work alongside the specification so you are confident you have covered all of the required content, even if you teachers didn't!

Every evening, set yourself a cut off time and don't go over it unless absolutely necessary so you get enough sleep to feel refreshed and ready for the next day. In the holidays, do some revision but also go out with your friends a couple of times so your maintain a balance in all aspects of your life.

Don't worry too much about year 11, all you need to do is work hard and you will be happy once you have finished the year! Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
This, basically what i did. It will feel like revision will never end but it does!

Original post by leopard923
Set yourself a goal at the beginning of this year for what you would dream of achieving and seeing in your envelope next August. Then, just take everyday as it comes, work steadily but sustain focused study throughout the year. When mocks are approaching, take them seriously. If you have a test out of 20 - take it seriously and revise like they were 20 marks of your GCSE. By doing this, you are constantly refreshing older content and by the end of the year, you will find it much easier to revise and it will be a quicker process also.

Make notes whenever you can and ensure that when you are making your notes, work alongside the specification so you are confident you have covered all of the required content, even if you teachers didn't!

Every evening, set yourself a cut off time and don't go over it unless absolutely necessary so you get enough sleep to feel refreshed and ready for the next day. In the holidays, do some revision but also go out with your friends a couple of times so your maintain a balance in all aspects of your life.

Don't worry too much about year 11, all you need to do is work hard and you will be happy once you have finished the year! Good luck!
Year 11 was my ultimate fave year, don't believe the hype. GCSEs are easier than people make out.

Original post by Jj2478
But at Easter just say to yourself you will have the worst 3 months of your life cuz that's pretty much what it is.

What
Original post by upbeat4
I'm going into Year 11 and I'm kinof scared. What should I expect and how can I survive?

Hey you just need to chill! I finished year 11 last year and I loved it; I wasn't worried or stressed at all! Gcse's are not as hard as everybody makes out- I did no revision and I managed to get 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs. So its not all bad! And I'm not saying you shouldn't work like me , yes work but also enjoy your last year of school! Best of luck, you'll be absolutely fine!:h:

Spoiler

Original post by upbeat4
I'm going into Year 11 and I'm kind of scared. What should I expect and how can I survive?

Here's what I suggest, don't stress and don't revise too hardcore yet. Just begin to revise little bits at a time and then at the end of February so in March start revising even more. Idk I shoulda just relaxed at the beginning of the year instead of relaxing during my exams. I revised late and didn't get the grades I want. That's all I regret.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Year 11 was my ultimate fave year, don't believe the hype. GCSEs are easier than people make out.

What

Yep yr 11 was definitely the best year!:smile:
Original post by upbeat4

I would love to be in yr 11 again! Definitely one of my best school years, some pretty good memories!:wink:
I didn't cope with it aha, but still managed to come out of it with good grades even if I know I could have done better. Revise for mocks, I dismissed them as pointless but they really do help and mean there's less work for when you're revising for actual exams. But don't put too much pressure on yourself. At the end of the day you only need to get the grades to get into whatever college course or apprenticeship you want to do so focus on getting the grades for them and don't worry too much about the others. Teachers tell you GCSEs are super important but really they're just a stepping stone to post 16 education, don't completely dismiss them but don't overwork yourself :smile:
just go in the flowwww
well thats what i did until i panicked in the last few months lol

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest