The Student Room Group

Economics or Computer Science

I'm going into my A2 year studying economics, ict and maths and i needed some advice on whether it is better to pursue an economics or computer science degree...

Scroll to see replies

It depends on which you are more interested in
Computer science easily.

you can apply to everything an Econ grad can (besides economist roles obviously) and far more, you gain actual skills that are very valuable.
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
It depends on which you are more interested in

I would say i'm 50/50 which is the problem
Reply 4
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Computer science easily.

you can apply to everything an Econ grad can (besides economist roles obviously) and far more, you gain actual skills that are very valuable.

ahh really? yea it does seems more valuable
Original post by Ahaitsme
ahh really? yea it does seems more valuable

As long as university prestige wasn't an issue I'd go for CS tbh.

The software skills are incredibly useful, but it is a very hard subject.
Reply 6
Original post by BabyLadDarren
As long as university prestige wasn't an issue I'd go for CS tbh.

The software skills are incredibly useful, but it is a very hard subject.

yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?
All subjects are hard at uni anyways
CompSci >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Econ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?
All subjects are hard at uni anyways

Is it me, or are people now picking comp sci because its just there. idk, it seems really popular here but the turnout is always low when you go visit the uni
Reply 9
Economics
(edited 7 years ago)
All the people I know who do compsci bicep curl less than 10kg.
Econ lads lift more on average.
Original post by Princepieman
CompSci >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Econ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compsci won't get you pussy
Economics will
Original post by Ladbants
Compsci won't get you pussy
Economics will

Brb, when I'm a rich tech billionaire and you're still chasing standard tail :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics definitely
Original post by Princepieman
Brb, when I'm a rich tech billionaire and you're still chasing standard tail :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No LOOOOOL look at mark zuckerberg and bill gates and Jeff bezos and most of the big tech billionaires and they get pretty standard pussy. Meanwhile, bankers be getting quality pussy
Study economics, a proper academic quality subject, everyone knows how to use a computer these days
Original post by Dnkz7
Is it me, or are people now picking comp sci because its just there. idk, it seems really popular here but the turnout is always low when you go visit the uni

It's really weird. I think all the TSR bros who used to go mad for Finance when I was applying (five years ago) have now got a whiff of the high salaries some elite tech jobs offer, and are now going for CS instead. Applications to Oxford CS (apparently the most employable degree in the country?!) tripled in one year, I think, because everyone wants to be a software engineer and earn (they hope) $$$.
Original post by such_a_lady
It's really weird. I think all the TSR bros who used to go mad for Finance when I was applying (five years ago) have now got a whiff of the high salaries some elite tech jobs offer, and are now going for CS instead. Applications to Oxford CS (apparently the most employable degree in the country?!) tripled in one year, I think, because everyone wants to be a software engineer and earn (they hope) $$$.

You know it :smug::cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faston2k16
Study economics, a proper academic quality subject, everyone knows how to use a computer these days

Not everyone can use python, Java, C++, SQL and whatever other rubbish they have these days and have a degree to show that they can.

you can do 99% of things an Econ grad can do and apply to the same roles, but Econ grads can't do the same as Compsci grads

yea igy but do uni rankings matter a lot?All subjects are hard at uni anyways

They matter enough
The only people doing compsci are the ones too awkward to study economics and do finance jobs

Quick Reply