The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get 5 top grades in A-levels?

Some girl in my school got 4 A*'s and 1 A. She worked non stop all the time.
Original post by 171819

Well yes, it takes a lot of effort, but it's also partially down to skill. One of my friends got 5 A*s this year in his A levels, in Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He worked very hard, but far from non-stop, and his natural intelligence certainly helped.
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Well yes, it takes a lot of effort, but it's also partially down to skill. One of my friends got 5 A*s this year in his A levels, in Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He worked very hard, but far from non-stop, and his natural intelligence certainly helped.

wow thats impressive, how much time did he spend working
Original post by 171819
wow thats impressive, how much time did he spend working

I don't know how much time he spent working, but it was certainly a lot. He'd have been prepared for exams quite a while before they took place, so that's probably the main thing to learn from it.

Lemme guess, Cambridge, Oxford, what?

Spoiler

Original post by fandom-queen
Lemme guess, Cambridge, Oxford, what?

Spoiler

He's going to Cambridge to study Natural Sciences, no surprise there! Though he was initially pooled by Cambridge if I recall correctly - rejected by his original college and given an offer by a different one - which was quite surprising considering his grades. If he'd done a sixth A level, in any subject, I'm sure he'd have got an A* in that too. He certainly made the rest of us look bad... with his A levels, he even outshined the person in my year who's going to study medicine at Cambridge, with a mere 3 A*s!
f us look bad... with his A levels, he even outshined the person in my year who's going to study medicine at Cambridge, with a mere 3 A*s!

Hi this person going to cambridge with 3A*s, do you know what subjects they did? I'm in a dilemma of how many A-Levels to do and seeing this just made me want to find out! Thank you :smile:
Original post by jazz_xox_
Hi this person going to cambridge with 3A*s, do you know what subjects they did? I'm in a dilemma of how many A-Levels to do and seeing this just made me want to find out! Thank you :smile:

The med student did Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A2, and did AS Physics in year 12. In most circumstances there really is no need to do more than three A levels; the person who did five did so because he wanted to, and it didn't place him at an advantage.
There is no need to do 5 A-levels.
I got 5 A*s. Didn't find it too hard at all. There wasn't that much content to the A levels I took.

If you are naturally good so you can understand it all, just memorise the textbook and do all the past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got 5A* and also didn't find it too hard but you need to be naturally good at the subjects you take I think
The med student did Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A2, and did AS Physics in year 12. In most circumstances there really is no need to do more than three A levels; the person who did five did so because he wanted to, and it didn't place him at an advantage.

Ah thank you! I am doing the same A Levels but at the moment not doing an AS because of my sixth form. Physics is an option but I wanted to do an essay subject like RS but this wasn't possible. But I don't enjoy physics as much...undecided:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by Sternumator
I got 5 A*s. Didn't find it too hard at all. There wasn't that much content to the A levels I took.

If you are naturally good so you can understand it all, just memorise the textbook and do all the past papers.

Well done, what subjects?
You can get into Cambridge with four A-Levels- you do not need a fifth A Level and it does not benefit your application.
Original post by Rajive
Well done, what subjects?

Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and economics.
Reply 15
The difficulty depends on your school, I guess the more your school can help with the endeavour the easier the task becomes.
If you go to a very bad school (as in A* grades a very rare, maybe 1 or 2 people achieving them yearly) obtaining 5 top grades would be very difficult even if you are a 'genius'.
However, if you are in a fortunate enough position to attend a good school (let's say A*A*A*-A*AA are achieved by 10ish people per year) the likelihood of you achieving 5 'top grades' will be more probable.
My Maths teacher said today that it is extremely hard to get an A* in FM because you have to get 90% in 3 really hard modules :redface:
So you guys must go to a school with some insanely smart people :biggrin:
Original post by 171819

I don't think it's that hard. All you have to do is work consistently and efficiently from September and you won't be spending much time. EFFICIENCY is key I believe. Assuming you are moderately good at your subjects because you did choose them.
My friend is doing 6 A2's this year (maths, further, statistics, physics, french and economics) and he'll undoubtedly get 6A*'s. It's even more impressive when you learn he should be in year 12 but skipped ahead a year. I feel like he could be the smartest person our age in the country, any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest