The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zoemccarthy34
SJT advice please!!!!!! Cannot shift from band 2 every single time. Would really love a band 1!

I seem to be scoring B2 at the moment, I got B1 last year though.
Sometimes I think overthinking things can get the better of you.
There was some good info in the 1000Qs book. Not sure if this helps you, but to summarise:

- V appropriate: best thing you can do, resolves the issue either fully or the most in part as can be achieved at the time

- Appropriate: yeah sure you can do this, it will go some way towards fixing things, not the best thing you can do, but you tried

- Inappropriate, but not awful: there will definitely be something better you can do, but it's not the worst thing you can do, any consequences will be benign

- V inappropriate: this is the worst thing you can do, you will probably make things worse

Things that merit v inappropriate:

- risking patient care. (acknowledge your own limitations)
- risking patient trust (ie. badmouthing the hospital on the bus, talking badly about one of your colleagues, undermining a senior's decision in front of a patient)*
- breaching confidentiality in any way
- forming relationships with patients

You can white lie, but only if it won't deceive or mislead a person.
You should always speak to the person who is involved in an issue before you speak to their senior. If it's something major that compromises patient care (i.e. prescribing something the patient is allergic to) then you need to speak to the person even if that person is a consultant. If the issue doesn't affect patient care then you can speak to the person several times before elevating it.*

Remember a consultant is unlikely to act in a way that is without integrity ON PURPOSE so if they make a mistake you should give them the benefit of the doubt*
Colleagues' feelings matter, but what matters more is that stuff gets sorted with patient care as the top priority always. This should be seen in the long-run perspective, so for example if a student doesn't pull their weight on a project, by not acting to resolve the situation in some way you have missed an opportunity to ensure they graduate a better doctor, thereby ensuring best patient care.

Another example here is that if a fellow student or jr. dr. has some stuff on their mind and seems to be performing poorly at the min, this should be taken into account as something important because it isn't going to go away by itself.**

The difference between v appropriate and appropriate, but not ideal when reassuring a patient after a poor experience is a sincere apology. If the apology is not mentioned in the response then you should take that to mean the apology isn't given.

Clinical emergencies must be prioritised over anything else*

Never respond to a nurse/receptionist/any other healthcare professional with the assumption that their time is less important than yours.

Cheating is ANY form is bad, there is no mercy and that no current sparkling reputation should mean a person won't be punished to the full extend of the SJT lol An interesting Q I read was about a student who exposed that he wrote his PS with the help of his Uncle who sits on the Admissions of one of the medical schools, in this case not only is the student worthy of wrath, but also his Uncle**

*Sorry if this is just clogging up the pages, hope it helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sunnyrays07
Oh my gosh you are literally my role model! This is amazing!!!! What resources did you use and what scores were you getting in them? I have mine next week but I'm so scared. Would you also say it was easier or harder than the websites and books you used?

Check the last page, she posted a spreadsheet
Original post by sunnyrays07
Oh my gosh you are literally my role model! This is amazing!!!! What resources did you use and what scores were you getting in them? I have mine next week but I'm so scared. Would you also say it was easier or harder than the websites and books you used?

Aha thanks wow feeling so blessed :colondollar::biggrin: check further up the thread, I posted a spreadsheet with all my scores in all my mocks :u: easier than all of them (apart from VR)
When do we get to know everybody's stats?
OMG amazing score! Please give me advice for AR as I can never find patterns. How do you find them? What do you look for? Also QR which questions did you guess and go and how do you answer them so quickly? Can you use the keypad to press the +/- button or do you have to click with the mouse? And lastly SJT how do you get band 1!!!!!!!!!! Stuck on band 2 and never mover up and so far haven't moved down but I wont feel safe until I'm getting band 1. Thank you so much and well done! You should be super proud

Thanks :redface: For AR I did not really have a technique I just started at it seeing if something popped out and if not then I started counting sides. I can't really help you there unfortunately. QR I just did them all in order trying to go as quickly as I can. Luckily the questions were really short so didn't take too long, so timing isn't too bad :smile: SJ is tricky, I just kind of pretended I was someone else who was perfect and always stuck to the rules and tried to answer how they would, as atticus said "climb into their skin and walk around in it" haha :h:thanks :smile:
Original post by isabella1999
Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! :redface: In the end I got:

VR: 680
(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all :frown:passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
AR: 860
(SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
QR: 890
(OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
SJ: Band 1
(The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! :redface: So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!

Very well done on your score! :smile:
What resources did you use to enhance your maths skills??
Original post by L1234567
Very well done on your score! :smile:
What resources did you use to enhance your maths skills??

I used medify, medic portal and official movks. Didn't do any specific maths practice :h:
Reply 3927
Original post by neon_reaper
For SJT I'd recommend making rules out of the ones you get wrong, because a lot of the time there's recurring themes in different scenarios (e.g. calling in sick when you're not is always D), and just practising them enough that you learn them off by heart. From the mocks i've found if you get around 60% right, 30% partial, 10% wrong its a band 1 (could be wrong) and obviously any improvement from that is good

Thank you xx
Reply 3928
Thanks :redface: For AR I did not really have a technique I just started at it seeing if something popped out and if not then I started counting sides. I can't really help you there unfortunately. QR I just did them all in order trying to go as quickly as I can. Luckily the questions were really short so didn't take too long, so timing isn't too bad :smile: SJ is tricky, I just kind of pretended I was someone else who was perfect and always stuck to the rules and tried to answer how they would, as atticus said "climb into their skin and walk around in it" haha :h:thanks :smile:

WOW your so smart!!!! Timing is such an issue for me in QR. Also in the exam can you use the + symbol on the keyboard or do you have to click with the mouse?
I sat my UKCAT and got:
VR: 600 (didn't go too well)
AR:680
QR:790
STJ Band 2
So my overall average is 690

I have 11 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS and am predicted 3A*s at A level. I was thinking of applying to Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Oxford but am concerned about Manchester and Birmingham because my UKCAT score is a little low. Any advice?
I used medify, medic portal and official movks. Didn't do any specific maths practice :h:

Thank You :smile:
Thank you! :colondollar: What have you been getting in mocks? I got 450 in Mock A QR a few days ago, that transformation, it is possible!

NO seriously, I'm jealous but in a nice way. Excellent score and you obviously deserve it! In Mock A on the UKCAT website i got 450 too, thats only 9 correct. But Ive not got any better since. Going to do the UKCAT test B now.

Thanks for the hope! :smile:

*Are you a Undergrad or GEM candidate.*

Sorry, just need to ask one more question.
Is medic portal a course? If so, was it useful?
WOW your so smart!!!! Timing is such an issue for me in QR. Also in the exam can you use the + symbol on the keyboard or do you have to click with the mouse?

you can use the + on keyboard. But make sure you ave num lock on. :-)
Original post by sciencelover99
I sat my UKCAT and got:
STJ Band 2

I have 11 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS and am predicted 3A*s at A level. I was thinking of applying to Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Oxford but am concerned about Manchester and Birmingham because my UKCAT score is a little low. Any advice?

I think you will be okay, it's a competitive enough score.

Of course it depends only on how it ranks when the final scores come out, I think normally Manchester look at the top 3 deciles.*
I sat my UKCAT and got:
STJ Band 2

you get full marks for your gcses at birmingham and only drop like 0.66 of a point for your ukcat. it's worth applying there still!
Original post by ib_hopeful
When do we get to know everybody's stats?

I think it's on the 5th on October that they post the deciles and averages (someone said this on a thread)
I sat my UKCAT and got:
STJ Band 2

UKCAT for bham and manchester is fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys, is 3 weeks enough to revise ??

Hahaha well I wouldn't go that far :wink: aw don't worry it was for me too it got better. No you can use the keyboard shortcuts luckily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending