The Student Room Group

Scotland to England University

Hi,

I've been hearing that if you want to study in England and you're from Scotland then the university course length will be one year shorter. Is that true?
Original post by johnlin2000
Hi,

I've been hearing that if you want to study in England and you're from Scotland then the university course length will be one year shorter. Is that true?

Yes, but you won't get in to an English university with just Highers. You need Advanced Highers. Scottish university courses are taking younger and less qualified students than English courses.
Reply 2
Hi,

One year shorter than courses in Scotland, yes.

It's because A-levels are equivalent to Advanced Highers (sort of). So you will usually need to do Advanced Highers to apply to an English university to study Engineering. Alternatively you can apply with Highers to their Foundation Year (if they have one, many do) which adds back that extra year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the replies, so If I were to apply for a 4 year chemical engineering course in England I only do 3 years? I heard that advanced highers are like the 1st year of uni?
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, so If I were to apply for a 4 year chemical engineering course in England I only do 3 years?

No. See my edited post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the replies, so If I were to apply for a 4 year chemical engineering course in England I only do 3 years? I heard that advanced highers are like the 1st year of uni?

No. They are broadly equivalent to A levels. An English four year engineering course is likely to be either a masters or a sandwich course; you cannot shorten it. English A level students, on the other hand can often apply for Scottish degree courses and miss out the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest