The Student Room Group

Today I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome

I always knew I had a slight social deficiency, but never thought it woyluld be this.

Please could someone explain this more to me?

I feel so confused/upset/scared/worried.

Which jobs will this bar me from? Someone told me that only 10% of people with AS are in employment. I worked so hard at School - I haven't even finished Uni yet and I am scared that I have ruined everything because of this. :frown:
Err it won't affect your chance of getting a job unless you have it severely and your symptons affect your performance. That 10% figure is total bull****.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
I always knew I had a slight social deficiency, but never thought it woyluld be this.

Which jobs will this bar me from? Someone told me that only 10% of people with AS are in employment. I worked so hard at School - I haven't even finished Uni yet and I am scared that I have ruined everything because of this. :frown:

PM me,

Honestly I don't know why people care why have special needs, my mum never did, I actually see it as a protection barrier for when I do things wrong, anyways I have never felt self-concious about it - only when i'm felt into some really dark modes, just
Hi,

I am really sorry to hear about this. I don't much about AS, but I hope that it does not negatively impact on your life.

All the best.

PM me,

Honestly I don't know why people care why they have special needs, my mum never did, I actually see it as a protection barrier for when I do things wrong, anyways I have never felt self-concious about it - only when i'm felt into some really dark modes, just
This dx makes absolutely no difference to you.
Asperger's syndrome is a disorder on the autistic spectrum which is characterised by a variety of traits, the main ones being difficulty with social interaction, repetitive patterns and/or behaviours, and physical clumsiness. Other common traits of AS (Asperger's) are obsessions, difficulty understanding figures of speech such as metaphors and similes, a liking/need for routine and sensory issues (e.g. disliking loud noises, bright lights etc).

Please don't be worried about your diagnosis! There are many ways to help people with Asperger's, and I know that although it can be a shock to learn that you have it, it really isn't so bad once you understand how it affects you and what you can do to manage it.

I'm not sure where that person got the 10% figure from, but that's certainly not true. Having AS isn't likely to bar you from most jobs, although I know that you can't join the RAF if you've got it. People with AS can find jobs which suit them, as AS affects each person differently and they are good at different things.

I have Asperger's syndrome too, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it :smile:
No job is allowed to not hire you because you have Asperger's, the only time it would impair you from getting a job unless your symptoms will severely affect your ability to do the job properly. Lots of people with Asperger's have jobs which they love and which suit them :smile:
Its against the law to discriminate against disability.
I hope you are ok about this whole situation.

Please note that having AS is not the end of the world

hey, i have an inkling that i might also have aspergers and i'm pretty sure that that figure is bull because asd is a spectrum and so many people are on it - its peoples symptoms that stop them from getting a job and if you think about it you've always had aspergers and just never know so it won't change anything at uni, you'll just get some extra help:smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Asperger's syndrome is a disorder on the autistic spectrum which is characterised by a variety of traits, the main ones being difficulty with social interaction, repetitive patterns and/or behaviours, and physical clumsiness. Other common traits of AS (Asperger's) are obsessions, difficulty understanding figures of speech such as metaphors and similes, a liking/need for routine and sensory issues (e.g. disliking loud noises, bright lights etc).

Please don't be worried about your diagnosis! There are many ways to help people with Asperger's, and I know that although it can be a shock to learn that you have it, it really isn't so bad once you understand how it affects you and what you can do to manage it.

I'm not sure where that person got the 10% figure from, but that's certainly not true. Having AS isn't likely to bar you from most jobs, although I know that you can't join the RAF if you've got it. People with AS can find jobs which suit them, as AS affects each person differently and they are good at different things.

I have Asperger's syndrome too, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it :smile:

i just looked up the list of medical disorders which would prevent you from being in the RAF and I'm surprised they have anyone, severe acne or a food intolerance are on there...
Original post by alohalily
i just looked up the list of medical disorders which would prevent you from being in the RAF and I'm surprised they have anyone, severe acne or a food intolerance are on there...

Yeah, it does seem a bit over the top to me!

Quick Reply

Latest