The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sububzi
1 week in C&W hospital

Which ward? I'm wondering if I ever bumped into you now... :holmes:
Original post by usycool1
Which ward? I'm wondering if I ever bumped into you now... :holmes:

I bumped into an Imperial medic in the Paediatrics ward actually xD I doubt that was you though... she comforted me cos one of the doctors rejected letting me shadow him. She told me she didn't know what was happening either :')

I was mainly in the Plastic surgery one though :smile:
Original post by sububzi
I bumped into an Imperial medic in the Paediatrics ward actually xD I doubt that was you though... she comforted me cos one of the doctors rejected letting me shadow him. She told me she didn't know what was happening either :')

I was mainly in the Plastic surgery one though :smile:

My tutor is a plastic surgeon there! Maybe you met him (Dr Nightingale?). I'm usually in the Ron Johnson ward (HIV basically), sometimes in plastic surgery but often in A&E too. :smile:

When doctors don't let you shadow them, it feels horrible :emo:
Original post by usycool1
My tutor is a plastic surgeon there! Maybe you met him (Dr Nightingale?). I'm usually in the Ron Johnson ward (HIV basically), sometimes in plastic surgery but often in A&E too. :smile:

When doctors don't let you shadow them, it feels horrible :emo:

There are some awesome doctors in plastic surgery. I haven't met Dr Nightingale but I was with like Dr Ian King and his consultant was Mr Collier (who is a dentist and a doctor and something else he's so cool).
Reply 844
Hello,
I did my ukcat last week and got:
VR- 640
QA- 680
AR- 750
Average- 690
SJT- Band 1
My stats are:
S4; AAAAAAA ( National 5 Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Modern Studies, German, Acoounting) and a B in National 5 English
S5: AAAAB ( Higher Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and a B in Higher Modern Studies)
S6: AAA ( Advanced Higher Chemistry, Advanced Higher Biology, Higher Psychology
4 weeks of work experience.
First Aider
1 year volunteering at children's charity.
Gold d of e award etc
Any advice of which universities I should apply to with these stats. I was thinking Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Sheffield. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 845
Hi , i would really appreciate is someone could give me a hand selecting the right universities to apply for given my stats as i am completely lost here , do let me know if you think i am wasting my time applying for this course (a100).

GCSE's : 5 A*'s 3 A's 2 B's - my school was under special measures and these were the best grades in the year .
AS AAABC in Biology , maths , polish ,psychology ,chemistry

Predictions - AAA could be pushed to A*AA

Experience - one week in an intensive care unit in a large hospital

UKCAT- yet to take .

I am very interested in Birmingham however i believe my gcse's are too low, would they consider me despite this, also thinking of manchester and uea

thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HT98
Hello,
VR- 640
QA- 680
AR- 750
Average- 690
SJT- Band 1
My stats are:
S4; AAAAAAA ( National 5 Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Modern Studies, German, Acoounting) and a B in National 5 English
S5: AAAAB ( Higher Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and a B in Higher Modern Studies)
First Aider
Gold d of e award etc
Any advice of which universities I should apply to with these stats. I was thinking Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Sheffield. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You will definitely get an interview at Dundee and Aberdeen. Why aren't you applying to St Andrews you will most definitely get an interview there and they will look at your SJ which you have a band 1 in post interview.
Original post by HT98
Hello,
VR- 640
QA- 680
AR- 750
Average- 690
SJT- Band 1
My stats are:
First Aider
Gold d of e award etc

Sound like great choices. Edinburgh is so so so conpetative though so be wary with your UKCAT average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adamj21
Hi , i would really appreciate is someone could give me a hand selecting the right universities to apply for given my stats as i am completely lost here , do let me know if you think i am wasting my time applying for this course (a100).

GCSE's : 5 A*'s 3 A's 2 B's - my school was under special measures and these were the best grades in the year .
AS AAABC in Biology , maths , polish ,psychology ,chemistry

Predictions - AAA could be pushed to A*AA

Experience - one week in an intensive care unit in a large hospital

UKCAT- yet to take .

I am very interested in Birmingham however i believe my gcse's are too low, would they consider me despite this, also thinking of manchester and uea

thanks!

Without your UKCAT its very hard to advise you.

I would say from the go avoid oxford, birmingham, cardiff, QUB, kings and edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sububzi
GCSE: 7A* 3As
AS: AAAA
Predicted: Probably A*AA (maybe A*A*A if my teachers adore me)
UKCAT: 2040 total (VR:590 AR:650 QR:800 SJ:B1) AVG: 680

WE: 1 week at UCL hospital & 1 week in C&W hospital; 2 weeks in Nursery; Volunteering at a playground for kids with special needs; 6 months volunteering at care home

Unis?
Kings (idk if my UKCAT is good enough)
Imperial (I'm not sure... is it just BMAT I need to do well in now?)
Sheffield (idk about this)
Leicester
Southampton

What do you guys think about where I should apply?

Southampton and sheffield are both UKCAT heavy this year, i would advise only applying to one of these as your UKCAT is not amazing (not bad at all, but not over 700 which is what a lot of people who apply to UKCAT heavy unis have).
Kings may be risky but if you love it go for it. I would advise only 1/2 risky applications though!
Leicester looks like a good choice, what about HYMS, nottingham, UEA? You will have good stats for these unis.

Imperial only care about the BMAT. Honestly i wouldnt advise applying to imperial, KCL and sheffield/southampton as it will be 3 riskier applications, aim for 2 safer ones as a medical degree is a medical degree at the end of the day, getting in is so difficult so at least give yourself 2 sure shots at an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 850
Original post by OneAfrica
You will definitely get an interview at Dundee and Aberdeen. Why aren't you applying to St Andrews you will most definitely get an interview there and they will look at your SJ which you have a band 1 in post interview.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about st Andrews as well. Between St Andrews and Sheffield, which one do u reckon is most competitive.
Reply 851
Original post by Natalierm2707
Sound like great choices. Edinburgh is so so so conpetative though so be wary with your UKCAT average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. Yeah Edinburgh is a big risk, what other unis would you advise me to apply to instead of Edinburgh?
Reply 852
Hi guys,
Does anyone know if Liverpool University require any specific national 5 subjects because they only mention advanced highers and highers on their website.
Hi I just did my UKCAT and I got 650 VR (very dissapointed as it was my strongest part), 740 QR and 650 AR (unreal guessing luck) so total 2040 680 avg.

My gcses were poor at 1 A* 10 A's and a B and for AS for the 2 offical exams I took i got a B in Latin and a B in Psychology (remarking) .
I will be able to persuade my school to predict AAA (I am capable of it but my alis test predictions suggest otherwise).

I really want to apply to ST. andrews for medicine but Im looking for other options as well that may suit my stats. I only plan to apply for 2 medicine this year and have 3 medical science backup's but I am also applying to buckingham university for medicine.

My extracurriculars are (not to sound arrogant) pretty good:
Grade 5 piano,
Self taught guitar, bass guitar, drums
Psychology of criminal profiling diploma
Brown belt Karate
County golfer _ 1st team (women's) and Junior squad
county junior captain (golf) and club junior captain
Former England squad player
British sign language certificate

School extra curriculars;
Orchestra
Prefect
Head of House
Latin tutor

Work experience:
8 days Pediatrics
1 day opthalmology
1 day enablement clinic
1 day ENT
1 day Audiology
(in novemeber) day or 2 in Neurosurgery
6 months in care home with school (2 hours a week)
Events first aider for the Red Cross
Volunteer at christmas wrapping presents for the homeless

Please can anyone give any advice would be greatly appreciated?
Original post by HT98
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about st Andrews as well. Between St Andrews and Sheffield, which one do u reckon is most competitive.

As a Scottish applicant and with your grades and UKCAT you will have a great shot at st Andrews. However i don't know enough about Sheffield to tell you to pick st Andrews over it.
Reply 855
Original post by OneAfrica
As a Scottish applicant and with your grades and UKCAT you will have a great shot at st Andrews. However i don't know enough about Sheffield to tell you to pick st Andrews over it.

okay. Thanks for your help!
Original post by HT98
Thank you for your reply. Yeah Edinburgh is a big risk, what other unis would you advise me to apply to instead of Edinburgh?

St andrews definetly with your stats, if not st andrews why not try glasgow, manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 857
Original post by Natalierm2707
St andrews definetly with your stats, if not st andrews why not try glasgow, manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. I think Manchester want Higher Physics :frown:. What do you think of my chances of getting an interview at Hull or Barts?
Reply 858
Does anyone know of unis which don't focus too much on extracurricular activities? I feel like everyone on here has a gold medal at the olympics already :colondollar:
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Does anyone know of unis which don't focus too much on extracurricular activities? I feel like everyone on here has a gold medal at the olympics already :colondollar:

Any unis which look at PS heavily will judge extra curriculars so places like Manchester, liverpool, lancaster, bristol, edinburgh and nottingham off the top of my head

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending