The Student Room Group

To drop or not to drop? [URGENT]

I'm hoping to apply for Vet Med at Cambridge, but my teacher says I should drop Product Design to increase the chance of me getting A*s in my A2 exams. I'm hoping to not drop Product Design and study it alongside Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I achieved four As at AS, but since 3 of my courses are linear, they will not count as part of my final A level grades. I'm already at a minor disadvantage as I only take two 'actual' sciences instead of the more desired 3. Would I be considered as a better applicant for Cambridge by showing that I am taking four A levels or is that a risk I shouldn't take? I need to make my decision today, so I'd appreciate the help!!!!
you need a-level maths for cambridge vet medicine, i'm afraid. the cambridge website specifies that you must have chemistry and 2 of maths, physics, biology or human biology. you only have one.
Reply 2
Original post by tanyapotter
you need a-level maths for cambridge vet medicine, i'm afraid. the cambridge website specifies that you must have chemistry and 2 of maths, physics, biology or human biology. you only have one.

It's also written on the website that some colleges do consider applicants with two sciences, but their success rate is lower.
I've not done a levels yet but I am starting the new linear courses. Our school has strongly advised us to do 3 not 4 as it gives us more time to concentrate on the subjects and not one that we won't probably need. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drop it like it's hot.
Reply 5
Original post by amyjf
I've not done a levels yet but I am starting the new linear courses. Our school has strongly advised us to do 3 not 4 as it gives us more time to concentrate on the subjects and not one that we won't probably need. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my teacher has been saying the same. It would be pretty great to have that extra time free now that I think about it… thanks!
Original post by iShaz_
Yeah, my teacher has been saying the same. It would be pretty great to have that extra time free now that I think about it… thanks!

The frees I think will be very useful! As I'm doing 3 subjects I have 23 frees a fortnight! If I did 4 I would have only 14 and as I do lots outside of school I thought this would be better. Good luck with your final year, I hope you achieve your goals!

Posted from TSR Mobile
depends, do you think you'll be able to cope? 3 amazing grades is better than 4 pretty good grades, but of course 4 amazing grades (if possible) is even better.
As others have said, I would recommend dropping product design in order to increase your chances of doing really well in your three other subjects.

Unfortunately the combination of biology, chemistry and psychology does not make you eligible to apply to Cambridge for vet med, however. Their website. Says "Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. We do not count Psychology."

You can look at other vet schools' requirements here. Your subject combination is fine for all of the others.

Quick Reply

Latest