The Student Room Group

I got a very high B in AS Maths - can I get an overall A?

Scroll to see replies

I got a high B at AS (3 ums off an A), basically because I scraped an A in C1, did a bit better in S1 and then got a low B in C2.
I resat C2 - I didn't put much work in, just looked over stuff that isn't in the A2 modules and did some past papers. The work seemed so much easier this time round and I came out with 98 UMS in the resit, so I got an A overall despite only getting Bs in C3 & 4. I would definitely recommend resitting at least one module because it allows for any blips in your A2 exams.

Don't worry too much about workload - I kept all 4 A levels to A2, plus doing EPQ and compulsory general studies and didn't find 3 resits (2 were biology) added massively to the workload. Also, remember your resit grade doesn't count if its lower so there's no harm in doing it even if you're end up not putting much work in beforehand.
Reply 21
Yes.

Spoiler

Reply 22
Original post by tryingandfailing
I got a high B at AS (3 ums off an A), basically because I scraped an A in C1, did a bit better in S1 and then got a low B in C2.
I resat C2 - I didn't put much work in, just looked over stuff that isn't in the A2 modules and did some past papers. The work seemed so much easier this time round and I came out with 98 UMS in the resit, so I got an A overall despite only getting Bs in C3 & 4. I would definitely recommend resitting at least one module because it allows for any blips in your A2 exams.

Don't worry too much about workload - I kept all 4 A levels to A2, plus doing EPQ and compulsory general studies and didn't find 3 resits (2 were biology) added massively to the workload. Also, remember your resit grade doesn't count if its lower so there's no harm in doing it even if you're end up not putting much work in beforehand.

What were your other subjects?
Reply 23
Wait - if I did worse in a C2 resit for eg, they use my best grade?! I didn't know that wow

Original post by Rajive
What were your other subjects?

I did biology, maths, psychology and English Lit
Original post by Yusufff
Wait - if I did worse in a C2 resit for eg, they use my best grade?! I didn't know that wow

That's what it was for my year, I don't know if it's changed at all with the new a level structure - but my friend retook an AS to improve her C, got a D or E in the resit but they took the C for her final grade. Check with your maths teacher in case it's changed but otherwise your grade for that unit can't get lower than what you've already got!
Reply 26
That's what it was for my year, I don't know if it's changed at all with the new a level structure - but my friend retook an AS to improve her C, got a D or E in the resit but they took the C for her final grade. Check with your maths teacher in case it's changed but otherwise your grade for that unit can't get lower than what you've already got!

Nah Maths is on the old spec so it should be the same, thanks for the info! I will double check but I'm so happy to see that the best grade is used

Quick Reply

Latest