The Student Room Group

Uni in 3 weeks, I need a job/ source of money what can I do?

I came back from holiday really late and I really need some more money for uni as I don't want to rely too much on my parents. What can I do till then?
Trade forex
Original post by BigDuckGuy
Trade forex

dont do that
Reply 3
Sell things you don't want on eBay
work dat street corner hard?
"Well, you could whore yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for 50 bucks apiece. Or - or - or 50 *really* fat chicks for a thousand bucks."

"What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But they gotta pay!"

2016-09-06-01-23-47--402791651.png
Budget?
Look on your university's website, they may have a careers/jobs page with a listing of jobs in the university and local area for students.

Go on the websites of common retail shops and see if they have any openings in the area you're moving to. Apply for any jobs you find so you'll already have interviews lined up when you arrive.

Maybe go for a day or two to the city you're moving to give your cv out? It'll give you a chance to get to know the place and find a job before the herds of students who'll inevitably be doing the same thing when they arrive.
Set up an ant circus, take it global
Original post by DanB1991
work dat street corner hard?

I swear every time someone creates a 'Help, I need money for university' thread, someone says the phrase verbatim EVERY TIME!

- Sell on Etsy or Folksy if you have vintage/handmade stuff
- Freelance work, e.g. Fiverr
- Sell photos on a stock photo app like Foap
- Sell on Amazon/eBay
University students want weed. Become the dealer
I applied to 40+ retail jobs before I got my first job.
If you want a job fast, tuition is the best, any tuition centre would take you - unless you can't teach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
I swear every time someone creates a 'Help, I need money for university' thread, someone says the phrase verbatim EVERY TIME!

- Sell on Etsy or Folksy if you have vintage/handmade stuff
- Freelance work, e.g. Fiverr
- Sell photos on a stock photo app like Foap

- Sell on Amazon/eBay

None of these are immediate money making ideas. I've used all of these. Ebay is the best out of all of them for a decent amount of money in a short space of time - but OP would actually need something valuable to sell.

Etsy and other making/selling websites actually charge you to advertise your product - I was charged something like 12p per item which may not seem like a lot but if I have 10 handmade items them I'm spending at least £1 just to attempt to sell them plus the cost of materials and the labor time. So it's no way to make a quick buck. Etsy etc are for long term projects that you are passionate enough about to actually work on everyday - from the labor of making, to the quality of the images of your product/social media accounts/self promotion etc etc. It's not a get rich quick thing.

The quickest way to make a decent amount of money per day, i.e 50 quid, is with a job. The hardest part is getting the job. My advice - apply for jobs that no one wants to do where your competition in terms of numbers and quality is low and the turn over of staff is high i.e. cleaning, manual labor, fast food or personal care. Then research online CVs of people with those jobs - replicate those skills on your CV, be enthusiastic, apply for dozens. You will get a job - it won't be immediate, but you will. If you struggle, then do a couple of days voluntary work and big it up on your CV. This has never failed me and I'm not outgoing or whatever - I just work hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gooney82
I came back from holiday really late and I really need some more money for uni as I don't want to rely too much on my parents. What can I do till then?

Hello :smile:,

If you need money quickly I'd suggest selling items on eBay/Gumtree or to Cash for Gold shops to get cash in hand. You could also look at getting quick cash in hand jobs - look on websites and newspapers etc.

Also, try 'Indeed.com' - that's what I use and have found a few jobs through that.

Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest