The Student Room Group

Spending £4K on dental treatment ?

I will be going to university this year with around £7.8k in my bank account. My teeth are at a point where I have to hide my smile because my teeth are overlapping and protruding backwards and the smile is just really bad. So my question is should I spend £4k on the treatment now or later ? Will I be ok with £4K for the year ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Mehtd3529
I will be going to university this year with around £7.8k in my bank account. My teeth are at a point where I have to hide my smile because my teeth are overlapping and protruding backwards and the smile is just really bad. So my question is should I spend £4k on the treatment now or later ? Will I be ok with £4K for the year ?

Can you not get it on the NHS if they really are that bad?

£4000 is a lot, but feeling comfortable with your teeth is so important for all aspects of your life.

£4000 will not be enough for a year at uni, I doubt that will even cover your rent. You will probably need a part-time job to supplement that remaining £4000 if you do go ahead with the treatment (or support from family).

Can you not take out a maintenance loan and are you not eligible for a maintenance grant? Another solution is to ask your parents to help fund it.
Pics :colonhash:
If it will make you feel more confident then go for it, just make sure you can afford it.
Reply 4
Original post by Mehtd3529

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're going to spend £4k on your teeth at some point, then it makes sense to spend it sooner given you'll get the benefit for longer.

However, you clearly want to avoid getting into any financial difficulties. If you haven't already, set up a decent budget for the year. If it turns out you can't afford the dental work, then you can either postpone it or earn extra money part time to cover the costs.
Reply 5
Original post by lawyer3c
Can you not get it on the NHS if they really are that bad?

£4000 is a lot, but feeling comfortable with your teeth is so important for all aspects of your life.

£4000 will not be enough for a year at uni, I doubt that will even cover your rent. You will probably need a part-time job to supplement that remaining £4000 if you do go ahead with the treatment (or support from family).

Can you not take out a maintenance loan and are you not eligible for a maintenance grant? Another solution is to ask your parents to help fund it.

Um I don't qualify under the NHS because of their strict guidelines but I am currently working as a part time assistant and on an average I make about £400 a month and plus I won't be moving out for my first year because my uni is in central London so I will hopefully be keeping my job for weekends which will see me earning around £300 a month. I will be also getting a grant of £3000 for the year and I don't have a lot of other things that I spend my money on for thanks for your input !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by duncan_h
If you're going to spend £4k on your teeth at some point, then it makes sense to spend it sooner given you'll get the benefit for longer.

However, you clearly want to avoid getting into any financial difficulties. If you haven't already, set up a decent budget for the year. If it turns out you can't afford the dental work, then you can either postpone it or earn extra money part time to cover the costs.

Thank you for your help, I will be probably getting the dental treatment !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 8
I think Invisalign braces is around £4K but braces like stainless steel is around £3.4k and this is mainly due to my case being very severe. There are other options like ice ceramic , Damon braces but they are around the same mark of £4K

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending