The Student Room Group

English lit a good third option for medicine?

at AS I've just received AAAB with three As in biology chemistry and lit and the b in maths. I'm seriously considering medicine and i can't decide if i should drop maths in favour of lit. It comes so easily to me whereas maths definitely does not.
I don't know if i should play to this advantage and go with lit which is the easy route or stick with maths chem and bio as this is the typical offer.I have all A* and A grades at gcse and I've done a tonne of voluntary work so I'm dead set on med, idk what to do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no maths is better just try your best
Cambridge says 'Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.' So you can do English literature. It would be better to get 3 A*s than to get 2A*s 1B
Original post by Sharmiin1226
at AS I've just received AAAB with three As in biology chemistry and lit and the b in maths. I'm seriously considering medicine and i can't decide if i should drop maths in favour of lit. It comes so easily to me whereas maths definitely does not.
I don't know if i should play to this advantage and go with lit which is the easy route or stick with maths chem and bio as this is the typical offer.I have all A* and A grades at gcse and I've done a tonne of voluntary work so I'm dead set on med, idk what to do

Take whichever you will get an A in. Maths is not needed except for one college at Cambridge (and Cambridge are the only ones who want three sciences). English lit is perfectly fine and won't disadvantage you in any way, as long as you get an A in it.

Original post by Evess
no maths is better just try your best

No, its not.
Reply 4
English lit was my favourite A level. I you like it you should do it

So long as you have chemistry and biology your other subjects don't matter. The most important thing is to get those A/A* grades
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
Take whichever you will get an A in. Maths is not needed except for one college at Cambridge (and Cambridge are the only ones who want three sciences). English lit is perfectly fine and won't disadvantage you in any way, as long as you get an A in it.

No, its not.

yes it is
Original post by Evess
yes it is

No its really not... We could go on all day, go check a couple of admissions policies and come back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Natalierm2707
No its really not... We could go on all day, go check a couple of admissions policies and come back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes.... just because it isn't required doesn't mean maths isnt better for medicine than english lol
Original post by Evess
yes.... just because it isn't required doesn't mean maths isnt better for medicine than english lol

Your punctuation already suggests that you need an extra English lesson or two. If you already have two sciences (which are already heavy with maths on their own) and at least took and passed maths at AS Level, I do not see the need to take it over literature if you are sure you're going to get an A in the latter one.
Reply 9
Original post by Metalfros
Your punctuation already suggests that you need an extra English lesson or two. If you already have two sciences (which are already heavy with maths on their own) and at least took and passed maths at AS Level, I do not see the need to take it over literature if you are sure you're going to get an A in the latter one.

maths is better than english, english is mickey mouse
Original post by Evess
maths is better than english, english is mickey mouse

Really? *Maths *English *English. Ever heard of capital letters? I dare you to come and sit in my English Language class one time, you would lose your mind.
Reply 11
Really? *Maths *English *English. Ever heard of capital letters? I dare you to come and sit in my English Language class one time, you would lose your mind.

stop resorting to correcting grammar because you have no argument. english language is a mickey mouse and not even a facilitating subject
Reply 12
Original post by Evess

A valid argument. But define "better".*
Original post by Evess
stop resorting to correcting grammar because you have no argument. english language is a mickey mouse and not even a facilitating subject

English A Level is one of the most respected qualifications among top Universities. Only thing you have said and I quote: "Maths is better than English."
Reply 14
Original post by giella
A valid argument. But define "better".*

because maths is related to science, so it would make more sense to take maths than english... i never said you absolutely have to take maths or that you won't get in if you take maths, i just said it is better for the course
Reply 15
English A Level is one of the most respected qualifications among top Universities. Only thing you have said and I quote: "Maths is better than English."

english literature is respected, not english language
Original post by Evess

Medicine requires basic GCSE level maths as well as some maths from chemistry. Never in medical school have I needed to know how to differentiate, integrate, factorise, integrate, transform trig graphs etc. the only thing I have ever needed to do which is relevant for a-level maths is rearrange equations. I did AS maths and hated it, and I can tell you now that it is better to do a subject you enjoy and are more likely to get the A in than one that you dont enjoy just because you think its more relevant. I hated AS maths and got a B then dropped it, never have I ever needed it for medicine and in my exams this past year I got 97% of the maths questions correct, missing only 1 question to do with stats... so your point is honestly invalid.

I would argue english lit is great for medicine, you are required to write extended essays, reflective pieces as well as scientific papers during your time at medical school, and english allows you to critically analyse text and information as well as format your thoughts into long prose which is arguably a very important skill required for any science degree.
Reply 17
Original post by Natalierm2707
Medicine requires basic GCSE level maths as well as some maths from chemistry. Never in medical school have I needed to know how to differentiate, integrate, factorise, integrate, transform trig graphs etc. the only thing I have ever needed to do which is relevant for a-level maths is rearrange equations. I did AS maths and hated it, and I can tell you now that it is better to do a subject you enjoy and are more likely to get the A in than one that you dont enjoy just because you think its more relevant. I hated AS maths and got a B then dropped it, never have I ever needed it for medicine and in my exams this past year I got 97% of the maths questions correct, missing only 1 question to do with stats... so your point is honestly invalid.

I would argue english lit is great for medicine, you are required to write extended essays, reflective pieces as well as scientific papers during your time at medical school, and english allows you to critically analyse text and information as well as format your thoughts into long prose which is arguably a very important skill required for any science degree.

so?.... you don't need to differentiate or integrate in physics either, but it doesn't mean maths isn't a good subject to have. i dont even know why you are bothering to argue. its clear that maths is the better subject for medicine..............
Original post by Evess
english literature is respected, not english language

Lol dude. OP asked about English lit and you mocked him for considering it over Mathematics. Maybe rethink your points.
Original post by Evess
so?.... you don't need to differentiate or integrate in physics either, but it doesn't mean maths isn't a good subject to have. i dont even know why you are bothering to argue. its clear that maths is the better subject for medicine..............

But it's literally not, that's just been explained to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending