The Student Room Group

Please help: Art or Further Maths A level?

Hi there,

I'm about to start sixth form and currently my choices are maths, physics, biology and art and in the future I want to study Biomedical Engineering at a Russell group university.

In year 13, I will just continue with maths, physics and biology. However, I am concerned about choosing art as an AS level due to the work load and whether or not it is suited to my career choice. Having done art at GCSE, I know it is a lot of work but it was nice to have a more recreational subject. I really enjoy both maths and art and got A*s in both at GCSE. Please could anyone tell me about their experience with these subjects and give any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have an idea of what universities you'd like to go to? I suspect some will require further maths, but others won't. Check the entry requirements on websites before you make a decision. If the universities you're interested in don't ask for further maths then doing art won't hurt your application, go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Do you have an idea of what universities you'd like to go to? I suspect some will require further maths, but others won't. Check the entry requirements on websites before you make a decision. If the universities you're interested in don't ask for further maths then doing art won't hurt your application, go for it.

I have had a look and all want 3 science/maths a levels and do not ask for a fourth. Does that mean if a person did the same as me but did further maths and I did art that they would more likely choose them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you enjoy maths you might as well do further maths
Original post by Snufkin

I agree
Original post by leopard923
I have had a look and all want 3 science/maths a levels and do not ask for a fourth. Does that mean if a person did the same as me but did further maths and I did art that they would more likely choose them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, basis of results are made on 3 A2's.
If you feel you enjoy art more then by all means keep it up but a lot of uni engineering courses especially russell group ones, say that further maths is very beneficial and it will make your first year of maths slightly easier.

You'll end up covering all the further maths content eventually at uni but you wouldn't be struggling as much but saying that if your maths ability is very secure you'll be okay conceptually anyways but there would just be a lot of maths to cover.

I do recommend if its possible you take AS further maths in year 13 as the more maths the better basically.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for replying !! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest