The Student Room Group

Black lives matter storm runway

Flights disrupted at London City Airport after Black Lives Matter protesters storm runway

Flights in and out of London City Airport were disrupted on Tuesday morning after a group of activists stormed the runway.It has been reported that the protesters bypassed security by using a rubber dinghy to cross the docks.

Activists from the Black Lives Matter movement have claimed they are behind the protest, saying their supporters have "shut down London City Airport to protest the UK's environmental impact on black people".

Police said the protesters have locked themselves together and erected a tripod on the runway.The group, which launched a series of protests around the country last month, said on Twitter: "At London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean."

By 2050 there will be 200 million climate refugees. Black people are the first to die, not the first to fly, in this racist climate crisis."

Read more here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/06/flights-disrupted-at-london-city-airport-after-protesters-storm/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really don't understand why there are BLM protests here in the UK? Police brutality is a US problem, not a UK problem. I think the BLM has some merits, and to disagree that the US police doesn't have a problem with racism is absurd, BUT this is just hilariously ridiculous: "shut down London City Airport to protest the UK's environmental impact on black people." LMAO :rofl:
Reply 2
Thankfully white people are immune to the impact of climate change and pollution.....

This is not a race issue and I cannot help but feel BLM in the UK are attempting to turn it into one because they have nothing on the scale of race issues in the US to define themselves by.
Original post by drowzee
I really don't understand why there are BLM protests here in the UK? Police brutality is a US problem, not a UK problem. I think the BLM has some merits, and to disagree that the US police doesn't have a problem with racism is absurd, BUT this is just hilariously ridiculous: "shut down London City Airport to protest the UK's environmental impact on black people." LMAO :rofl:

This right here is Middle-class white people claiming to represent poor and impoverished black people & claim their issue is air pollution.

Air Pollution, not the alarming rates of fatherlessness in the black community, or the massive amount of welfare requirements they have or the soaring rates of stabbing and school exclusion from black youth in the ghetto.

No, it's air pollution.

Give me a break
I'm personally of the opinion that in the UK, this whole thing is just desperate attention-seeking.

Ok, the photos from the Telegraph aren't a vista of the situation or anything - but it looks to me like all the protesters at the airport are white.

Say what you like, but to me this is just people who aren't part of a marginalised constiuency who aren't part of another marginalised constituency trying to be outraged.

We've got white people in Britain causing trouble in Britain over an issue that largely exists in the United States.

This movement is discrediting itself.
Original post by Aj12
Thankfully white people are immune to the impact of climate change and pollution.....

This is not a race issue and I cannot help but feel BLM in the UK are attempting to turn it into one because they have nothing on the scale of race issues in the US to define themselves by.

I think the Black morons movement in the UK is forgetting the fact that the airport they are apparently "shutting down" probably has black, white, asian, hispanic, arab etc races present, so they are already making a mistake claiming that it's a race issue.

For me, the UK movement is just a bunch of unemployed millennial hipsters, trying to get on national newspapers.
Many of the people dying in the Mediterranean are breaking the law. It's tragic, but they are still criminals.
Original post by Trinculo
I'm personally of the opinion that in the UK, this whole thing is just desperate attention-seeking.

Ok, the photos from the Telegraph aren't a vista of the situation or anything - but it looks to me like all the protesters at the airport are white.

Say what you like, but to me this is just people who aren't part of a marginalised constiuency who aren't part of another marginalised constituency trying to be outraged.

We've got white people in Britain causing trouble in Britain over an issue that largely exists in the United States.

This movement is discrediting itself.

Yes they are all white people, about 10 or 11. Who apparently see natural climate conditions as a primary issue affecting black people
Nahh im black myself but this is too much
Original post by abc_123_
Surely the BLM tweet on twitter ("At London City Airport a small elite is able to fly, in 2016 alone 3,176 migrants have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean.":wink: has more to do with people's economic situation and whether they are able to afford flying than their race or the environmental impact on black people because they're highlighting how only a small elite can fly (personally I dispute the fact that only 'elite' people can fly ... this campaign sounds like a load of bull to me

I would as BLMUK to higher actual writers and proof-readers, but sadly most of the people operating their twitter account are unemployed
Lock them all up, or just keep taking planes off. Surely a handful of people is no match for a plane?

Plus, flying is so cheap - what are they on about, "a small elite"? :lol: :facepalm:

#AllLivesMatter
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vividly clear
This right here is Middle-class white people claiming to represent poor and impoverished black people & claim their issue is air pollution.

Air Pollution, not the alarming rates of fatherlessness in the black community, or the massive amount of welfare requirements they have or the soaring rates of stabbing and school exclusion from black youth in the ghetto.

No, it's air pollution.

Give me a break

but wtf does storming a runway have to do with a single one of those issues.

there are, undeniably, multiple issues and things that need to be recognised and addressed which result in prejudice towards people of colour and black people particularly

but what part of your brain made the jump from fatherless children and stabbings to storming runways??????

edit: i realised you might have been addressing the fact tue protester were white lol not that person's post, sorry about that

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Lol
Original post by vault111
Dem boys wanting der fried chicken

Posted from TSR Mobile

The people protesting today were white you F*cking racist idiot.
Lol, these white BLM hooligans are disgraceful cucks.
Here's the ultimate irony:

If they had tried to storm an airport in the United States - what do you think is the most likely outcome?
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Lol

This picture is the definition of an Oxymoron, or an orgy of morons
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Lol

Funny how they're all white lol

Silly liberals
Declare BLMUK a terrorist group as their only actions in the UK to date have been disruption of motorways in August and now this racist, elitist nonsense. They have no legitimate aims. Arrest, try and jail those found guilty.
Original post by Duncan2012
Declare BLMUK a terrorist group as their only actions in the UK to date have been disruption of motorways in August and now this racist, elitist nonsense. They have no legitimate aims. Arrest, try and jail those found guilty.

Don't be silly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending