The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend some skin care products?

Hi, I have very oily skin with bad acne, can anyone recommend me which cleanser, toner, moisturiser, exfoliating products etc I should use as I am a bit new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Are you willing to try a medical treatment? Duac is a very effective topical treatment- really starts to clear it up within about 4-6 weeks. Otherwise in terms of moisturiser, you won't want anything too heavy- maybe a Ren gel one. For exfoliation, again you won't want anything too abrasive- maybe try a mask? The Liz Earle Deep Cleansing mask is really good and calming. For a toner, I would go with something that contains tea tree oil... Hope this helps. I know how deflating having acne can be.
Reply 2
Original post by Ellipses
Are you willing to try a medical treatment? Duac is a very effective topical treatment- really starts to clear it up within about 4-6 weeks. Otherwise in terms of moisturiser, you won't want anything too heavy- maybe a Ren gel one. For exfoliation, again you won't want anything too abrasive- maybe try a mask? The Liz Earle Deep Cleansing mask is really good and calming. For a toner, I would go with something that contains tea tree oil... Hope this helps. I know how deflating having acne can be.

The body shop have a great tea tree section including a tea tree toner
As drugstore would recommend brands like simple and neutrogena

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parrotperson
Hi, I have very oily skin with bad acne, can anyone recommend me which cleanser, toner, moisturiser, exfoliating products etc I should use as I am a bit new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi

You didn't mention what your diet or skincare routine were like but in order for you to achieve some level of improvement, you will need to address these two factors and consider taking some additional supplements to control your acne.

1. Improve Your Diet

Increasing water intake is important. In addition to staying hydrated, there are some foods that should be included in your diet e.g. those containing omega 3's and 6's. They are also available as supplements. They will help dryness and reduce inflammation of any spots. Have more fruit and veg. The water content in these as well as the vitamin C and antioxidants will help.

2. Improve Your Skincare regimen

The key thing about improving your skincare is that:

1. You need to be committed to a routine
2. You need to apply quality products in the right order
3. The products you use need to be suited to your skin which you describe as oily
4. The products you use should "compliment" each other i.e. in terms of their formulation

If I were to recommend a routine for what you describe, it would be something like this:

Pre-Cleanser: (I'm not sure if you are male or female so this may be an unnecessary step!) This is an oil based product which helps to dissolve makeup or sunscreen. Not necessary step if makeup/sunscreen not worn

Cleanser: Should be pH balanced. Purpose is to remove dirt / debris etc. Helps unblock pores. Must be done 2x daily.

Toner: Use toner containing AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) e.g. salicylic acid (suitable for oily/combination skin) - this removes dirt and unclogs pores. AHA's cause gentle chemical exfoliation which helps to unblock pores. This is better than the exfoliation caused by abrasive facial scrubs.

Topical gel: Apply salicylic acid gel to the affected part - helps unclog pores, is anti-inflammatory, it's calming and reduces chance of scarring. Alternatively benzoyl peroxide can be used directly on the affected part as it has anti-bacterial properties. (Please note that benzoyl peroxide can be very drying for the first few days of use)

Moisturiser: Apply moisturiser which contains vitamin A to the entire face - vitamin A helps to normalise, repair the skin, stimulates collagen to be produced therefore reduces scar severity (ensure you also apply sunscreen during the day when using creams which contain vitamin A)

I have also written a blog post on overhauling your skincare routine - you may find this useful too:
https://www.madameskin.com/blogs/madame-skin-blog/121656385-is-it-time-to-overhaul-your-skincare-routine

3. Take Supplements

As mentioned above, omega 3 and 6 fish oil caps help to reduce inflammation and are good for dryness.

I hope this was useful.

Feel free to ask for further advice

Liz
Reply 4
Original post by Madame Skin
Hi

You didn't mention what your diet or skincare routine were like but in order for you to achieve some level of improvement, you will need to address these two factors and consider taking some additional supplements to control your acne.

1. Improve Your Diet

Increasing water intake is important. In addition to staying hydrated, there are some foods that should be included in your diet e.g. those containing omega 3's and 6's. They are also available as supplements. They will help dryness and reduce inflammation of any spots. Have more fruit and veg. The water content in these as well as the vitamin C and antioxidants will help.

2. Improve Your Skincare regimen

The key thing about improving your skincare is that:

1. You need to be committed to a routine
2. You need to apply quality products in the right order
3. The products you use need to be suited to your skin which you describe as oily
4. The products you use should "compliment" each other i.e. in terms of their formulation

If I were to recommend a routine for what you describe, it would be something like this:

Pre-Cleanser: (I'm not sure if you are male or female so this may be an unnecessary step!) This is an oil based product which helps to dissolve makeup or sunscreen. Not necessary step if makeup/sunscreen not worn

Cleanser: Should be pH balanced. Purpose is to remove dirt / debris etc. Helps unblock pores. Must be done 2x daily.

Toner: Use toner containing AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) e.g. salicylic acid (suitable for oily/combination skin) - this removes dirt and unclogs pores. AHA's cause gentle chemical exfoliation which helps to unblock pores. This is better than the exfoliation caused by abrasive facial scrubs.

Topical gel: Apply salicylic acid gel to the affected part - helps unclog pores, is anti-inflammatory, it's calming and reduces chance of scarring. Alternatively benzoyl peroxide can be used directly on the affected part as it has anti-bacterial properties. (Please note that benzoyl peroxide can be very drying for the first few days of use)

Moisturiser: Apply moisturiser which contains vitamin A to the entire face - vitamin A helps to normalise, repair the skin, stimulates collagen to be produced therefore reduces scar severity (ensure you also apply sunscreen during the day when using creams which contain vitamin A)

I have also written a blog post on overhauling your skincare routine - you may find this useful too:
https://www.madameskin.com/blogs/madame-skin-blog/121656385-is-it-time-to-overhaul-your-skincare-routine

3. Take Supplements

As mentioned above, omega 3 and 6 fish oil caps help to reduce inflammation and are good for dryness.

I hope this was useful.

Feel free to ask for further advice

Liz

Any specific products you'd recommend for someone with combination skin?
Apply homemade masks on a regular basis. It works!
Reply 6
Original post by ashleysummer
Apply homemade masks on a regular basis. It works!

Any good recipes?
Original post by 12284
Any good recipes?

Here are my fave:

1. Oatmeal, Lemon Juice And Honey Facial Mask For Oily Skin: This is a very effective oily skin face mask. Simply combine organic oatmeal, honey and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your face, taking care around and on the eyes area. Let the mask sit on your face for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Pat your face dry with a soft absorbent cloth. This natural oatmeal, honey and lemon juice face mask will keep your face clean, oil free and fresh.Use this natural remedy once a day, or as often as you need to keep your face skin free of sebum, soft and fresh.
2. Cucumber Oily Skin Natural Face Mask: Take half cucumber, 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of mint. Make puree of all these natural ingredients in a blender and keep it in refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Apply the mixture on your face, taking care over and around eyes area. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm and then cold water to keep your face skin oil free, even-toned and supple.
3. Apples And Honey DIY Facial Mask For Oily Skin: Peel and remove seeds form an apple and blend it in a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of honey and stir the mixture thoroughly. Apply it on your face leaving it there for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ashleysummer

Here are my fave:

1. Oatmeal, Lemon Juice And Honey Facial Mask For Oily Skin: This is a very effective oily skin face mask. Simply combine organic oatmeal, honey and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your face, taking care around and on the eyes area. Let the mask sit on your face for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Pat your face dry with a soft absorbent cloth. This natural oatmeal, honey and lemon juice face mask will keep your face clean, oil free and fresh.Use this natural remedy once a day, or as often as you need to keep your face skin free of sebum, soft and fresh.
2. Cucumber Oily Skin Natural Face Mask: Take half cucumber, 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of mint. Make puree of all these natural ingredients in a blender and keep it in refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Apply the mixture on your face, taking care over and around eyes area. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm and then cold water to keep your face skin oil free, even-toned and supple.
3. Apples And Honey DIY Facial Mask For Oily Skin: Peel and remove seeds form an apple and blend it in a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of honey and stir the mixture thoroughly. Apply it on your face leaving it there for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.

thanks!
Original post by 12284
thanks!

You're welcome:smile:
Boots has some nice witch hazel based products that are usually on some kind of offer- they work wonders on my oily skin :smile: You could also try looking in an Avon catalogue to see if there's anything you'd like, but that might be a bit expensive.

Also, remember to patch test any products you buy, otherwise your skin might react negatively.
I take a nuclear dose of medications to sort out my skin but the things I find improve my skin slightly are Aloe Vera gel and Sudocrem. These are both cheap products that I find work equally as well as some of the more expensive ones I've tried.
As someone said above, the Witch Hazel products from Boots are fab.
Sometimes it's worth going to the doctor and getting something topical, Benzoyl Peroxide Gel is brilliant if you can get your hands on it but often rare to find, although the Boots Pharmacies tend to have it in stock. I've looked at the prices of this stuff and what it would cost in America and it certainly is expensive, so utilise our healthcare system whilst it's still available and free! :smile:
If some of your spots are hard red lumps that stay for a week or so I would suggest seeing if you could get prescribed antibiotics, but if they're only small ones topical solutions usually work~

Quick Reply

Latest