The Student Room Group

Black lives matter storm runway

Scroll to see replies

Meh, I support Black Lives Matter in the US but why are they here too? When was the last time a police officer killed someone in the UK, 2011? And it led to insane riots. This lot sounds extra.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why BLM are here? Are they a huge movement in the UK or just a few?
I would've let the planes carry on landing and taking off. See how much they value their protest then.
Black LIES matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Black people. Amirite?
Original post by Dom2375
Black people. Amirite?

I'm black and support the BLM movement in America but honestly don't understand why it's here in the UK where there is no concrete indication that black lives are being oppressed.
It's just causing more bad than good in my opinion and could well be on the way to increasing stereotypical and racist views.
Original post by abc_123_
That's the point ... i don't believe that only the elite are enabled to go on a plane so why did they have to talk about elitism in their tweet

I think their argument was supposed to be that only the elite fly from London City.

But 4.3 million people flew from there last year, so that elite must be pretty fecking huge.
Jail them
Original post by WBZ144
Meh, I support Black Lives Matter in the US but why are they here too? When was the last time a police officer killed someone in the UK, 2011? And it led to insane riots. This lot sounds extra.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why BLM are here? Are they a huge movement in the UK or just a few?

There have been a few, it's usually 1-3 per year. But most of them were perfectly justified responses where there was a genuine threat to life and a weapon unlike the American approach...

I worked it out a while ago, I can't remember the exact number but more of those killed since Mark Duggan have been white than black.

The most recent a few weeks ago was black (was tasered by police and went into cardiac arrest) but he had mental health problems and was threatening to kill his dad at the time he was tasered..
Original post by 1010marina
Many of the people dying in the Mediterranean are breaking the law. It's tragic, but they are still criminals.

i agree with all of your posts
Original post by WBZ144

I think a big part of the problem is people throwing around statistics without really looking into them deeply enough, with social context.

If (accounting for population sizes), black people are more likely to be killed than white people, is that representative of police brutality? Some would argue yes, some would argue no.

The questions you then ask are - do more black people get arrested than other ethnicities? Is this because they commit more crime, or because the police are biased? If they are committing proportionally more crime than other races, why? If you take into account financial demographics too, say a poor black family and a poor not black family, could this account for the difference? If a larger proportion of black people are living in poverty than white people, surely they're more likely to commit crime? Then you have this whole gang, crime worshipping, police disrespecting culture among these communities... Because we still see this in poor white areas too...

I think these are the questions BLM need to ask - straight up black vs white comparisons are just not that clear. There's a lot going on beneath the surface. If someone can look into these and say, no, actually it's just that white police officers hate black people, then ok. But if not, BLM would do better trying to get more minorities into the police, helping to get people out of poverty, getting young kids off the street, away from knives and drugs and guns. Closing roads and airports isn't helping anybody.

And that is why I do not support them. In answer to your question I think they are quite small, a few weeks ago a few thousand were out...
Original post by lawyer3c
i agree with all of your posts

Are you sure about that
Original post by 1010marina
I think a big part of the problem is people throwing around statistics without really looking into them deeply enough, with social context.

If (accounting for population sizes), black people are more likely to be killed than white people, is that representative of police brutality? Some would argue yes, some would argue no.

The questions you then ask are - do more black people get arrested than other ethnicities? Is this because they commit more crime, or because the police are biased? If they are committing proportionally more crime than other races, why? If you take into account financial demographics too, say a poor black family and a poor not black family, could this account for the difference? If a larger proportion of black people are living in poverty than white people, surely they're more likely to commit crime? Then you have this whole gang, crime worshipping, police disrespecting culture among these communities... Because we still see this in poor white areas too...

I think these are the questions BLM need to ask - straight up black vs white comparisons are just not that clear. There's a lot going on beneath the surface. If someone can look into these and say, no, actually it's just that white police officers hate black people, then ok. But if not, BLM would do better trying to get more minorities into the police, helping to get people out of poverty, getting young kids off the street, away from knives and drugs and guns. Closing roads and airports isn't helping anybody.

And that is why I do not support them. In answer to your question I think they are quite small, a few weeks ago a few thousand were out...

I think the case for a mass BLM protest is much more tenable in the US than the UK. UK blm is just a case of self victimization
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Lol

A bunch of white cucks virtue signalling. How embarrassing.

They all got arrested, so that's a good thing.
Original post by WBZ144

They're here to claim their inherent victimhood.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Are you sure about that

all that I've seen, yes :smile:
Should have just shot them to give them the police brutality they so desperately desire.
Original post by Willy Pete
Should have just shot them to give them the police brutality they so desperately desire.

But most of them seem to be white so that would be supporting 'white lives matter' no?
Original post by ManiaMuse
But most of them seem to be white so that would be supporting 'white lives matter' no?

No, because that would be racist. Obviously.
Original post by Dodgypirate
They're here to claim their inherent victimhood.

Most of the people in that picture are White.

Quick Reply