The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Racoon
How has your year been? :smile:

It's been overall, pretty awesome because I'm living in Him. :smile: How are you?
Reply 6261
Original post by TheDailyMan
snip

Nope. Not here thank you. This thread is a friendly ecumenical thread.
Original post by *Deidre*
It's been overall, pretty awesome because I'm living in Him. :smile: How are you?

That's such a good answer:h:. Its so tempting to live in what we actually see around us rather than the things hoped for. God does call us to live expecting good things to happen.

I'm ok thanks, or should I say great, life's never been better :biggrin:
Original post by queen-bee
I hope you all have a blessed and productive Sunday :h:

Thank you, I hope you did too. Have you managed to get along to HTB yet? They are starting their Alpha course soon, you might have seen Bear Grylls advertising it.

http://alpha.org/watch/
[video]http://alpha.org/watch/[/video]
Ignore the trolling above, peeps :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finding it hard at the minute with faith and things. I've never been one of those people who is loud and proud (no hate intended, you do you man) about their religion which is why I'm struggling to talk about it.
Original post by vanderwoodsen
Finding it hard at the minute with faith and things. I've never been one of those people who is loud and proud (no hate intended, you do you man) about their religion which is why I'm struggling to talk about it.

Sorry to hear you are finding things hard :console: Are there specific things you are struggling with? Or more a general sense of struggling? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry to hear you are finding things hard :console: Are there specific things you are struggling with? Or more a general sense of struggling? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you <3 Yeah, like, I'm from a Catholic background, raised Catholic and all, but in my early teens I sort of strayed from the idea of religion, and now I'm older I'm trying to go back to it. My nanna passed away this time last year, and she was heavily religious, and I'm finding it difficult to cope with that. I sort of want to go back to religion because I want to feel closer to her, if that makes sense?
Thank you <3 Yeah, like, I'm from a Catholic background, raised Catholic and all, but in my early teens I sort of strayed from the idea of religion, and now I'm older I'm trying to go back to it. My nanna passed away this time last year, and she was heavily religious, and I'm finding it difficult to cope with that. I sort of want to go back to religion because I want to feel closer to her, if that makes sense?

I'm so sorry for your loss - that must have been - and continue to be - incredibly difficult for you :frown:

Bereavement can often raise a lot of questions as to whether there is anything beyond this life and whether we will ever meet our loved ones again. It's natural to wonder/doubt, depending on one's beliefs.

It's very natural to want to come back to religion as a means of feeling closer to a departed loved one. My advice would be to explore around, and to try and figure out your feelings about religion when separated from your grief. Religion is a very personal thing, so you have to want/believe it for yourself, as well as it being a means of feeling close to your nan.

Any questions or prayer requests : we are here to help. Most people in here are various kinds of Protestant but Aula and I are Roman Catholic :yes: There's also a separate Catholic Society too :yes:

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm so sorry for your loss - that must have been - and continue to be - incredibly difficult for you :frown:

Bereavement can often raise a lot of questions as to whether there is anything beyond this life and whether we will ever meet our loved ones again. It's natural to wonder/doubt, depending on one's beliefs.

It's very natural to want to come back to religion as a means of feeling closer to a departed loved one. My advice would be to explore around, and to try and figure out your feelings about religion when separated from your grief. Religion is a very personal thing, so you have to want/believe it for yourself, as well as it being a means of feeling close to your nan.

Any questions or prayer requests : we are here to help. Most people in here are various kinds of Protestant but Aula and I are Roman Catholic :yes: There's also a separate Catholic Society too :yes:

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you <3 It is really hard, I thought I would have dealt with it by now but clearly I've not haha :/

Yes, that's how I'm feeling right now. Very questioning and unsure, wishing I had as much faith as my nanna did for her entire life.

You're absolutely right about religion being a personal thing. I had to figure out for a while if I just wanted to try and get back in the swing of things because of her or if I was doing it for me, but I feel I would be doing this for myself.

Thank you, that's ever so lovely of you <3 I'll be sure to check it out :smile:
Reply 6270
Thank you <3 It is really hard, I thought I would have dealt with it by now but clearly I've not haha :/

Yes, that's how I'm feeling right now. Very questioning and unsure, wishing I had as much faith as my nanna did for her entire life.

You're absolutely right about religion being a personal thing. I had to figure out for a while if I just wanted to try and get back in the swing of things because of her or if I was doing it for me, but I feel I would be doing this for myself.

TLG has pretty much said what I was going to say, but if you ever want to PM me, feel free :cute:

It might be worth doing something like a rosary? There are some fantastic guides on the Internet on how to pray, and it's a good way to pray without having to think about what you're saying/thinking/doing too much. It's also something people often do in memory of others, so saying a rosary and offering up the intention for your nana could be a good move for you.

I'll keep you/her in my prayers, and try and remember to put her as my intention when I say my rosary tomorrow.
Original post by Aula
TLG has pretty much said what I was going to say, but if you ever want to PM me, feel free :cute:

It might be worth doing something like a rosary? There are some fantastic guides on the Internet on how to pray, and it's a good way to pray without having to think about what you're saying/thinking/doing too much. It's also something people often do in memory of others, so saying a rosary and offering up the intention for your nana could be a good move for you.

I'll keep you/her in my prayers, and try and remember to put her as my intention when I say my rosary tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, that's really lovely❤

Your idea is a fantastic one. My nanna was absolutely dedicated to Mary and the rosary, so saying a rosary would be a lovely way to remember her and sort of start the process of getting back into things.

I said the rosary tonight. It was nice, it's just hard to explain how I feel. It feels like there's some sort of wall between me and God, and I'm struggling to break it down and feel any sort of connection. :/
Reply 6272
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much, that's really lovely❤

Your idea is a fantastic one. My nanna was absolutely dedicated to Mary and the rosary, so saying a rosary would be a lovely way to remember her and sort of start the process of getting back into things.

I said the rosary tonight. It was nice, it's just hard to explain how I feel. It feels like there's some sort of wall between me and God, and I'm struggling to break it down and feel any sort of connection. :/

I completely understand what you mean! The huge resource of written prayer we have is something I find really useful when I struggle. It's worth remembering that (Saint!) Mother Theresa felt the same, as have many saints and holy people throughout history.

An important thing to remember is that any block or wall is there because of you/Satan, and not because of God.

Sorry for the late reply - was travelling to the USA. Replies will be slow for the next 10 days but so glad you've met Aula now - she's wonderful and been very supoortibe of my own faith journey.

It's hard when you feel a block but persevere in faith. I feel a block a lot of the time and I know it's not easy. But God is there and He hears you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon
Thank you, I hope you did too. Have you managed to get along to HTB yet? They are starting their Alpha course soon, you might have seen Bear Grylls advertising it.

http://alpha.org/watch/
[video]http://alpha.org/watch/[/video]

I'm all honesty,I haven't as I've a hectic life right now. Thank you for reminding me,I will make sure I go some time this month.*
I'm all honesty,I haven't as I've a hectic life right now. Thank you for reminding me,I will make sure I go some time this month.*

:smile::borat::biggrin:
Original post by Racoon
:smile::borat::biggrin:

do you visit frequently?
do you visit frequently?

I do when I'm local. :smile:
Has anyone ever visited Barcelona?

I went last week. On the first day we decided to visit Gaudi's Sagrada Familia.......... what can I say.

I had the most amazing encounter with God. As soon as I saw the building up close I was overwhelmed with the goodness of God. When I say overwhelmed, I mean completely enveloped in God's love. I felt Gaudi's love for God and his understanding of God, through this structure, his visual devotion.

Gaudi knew God.

I find it fascinating that people throughout history (Michelangelo is another one) have personal encounters with God and dedicate their lives to sharing with us the wonder of God.

In heaven I can't wait to talk to Gaudi about his faith and how he came to know God in such a real way.:smile:
Reply 6279
Original post by Racoon
Has anyone ever visited Barcelona?

I went last week. On the first day we decided to visit Gaudi's Sagrada Familia.......... what can I say.

I had the most amazing encounter with God. As soon as I saw the building up close I was overwhelmed with the goodness of God. When I say overwhelmed, I mean completely enveloped in God's love. I felt Gaudi's love for God and his understanding of God, through this structure, his visual devotion.

Gaudi knew God.

I find it fascinating that people throughout history (Michelangelo is another one) have personal encounters with God and dedicate their lives to sharing with us the wonder of God.

In heaven I can't wait to talk to Gaudi about his faith and how he came to know God in such a real way.:smile:

Augustus Pugin is another good one for that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending