The Student Room Group

Are you bothered by Weeaboos and Koreaboos?

Don't worry, I am not one. However, I do have a Koreaboo friend and it can get really annoying sometimes.

But what I notice is that actual Korean people are not bothered by what she does. Maybe they are inside, but they definitely don't show it. It made me wonder a little whether they see it as offensive or not.

What are your feelings on Weeaboos and Koreaboos? Mine are that I don't like them at all. I find it a bit creepy, and sometimes disrespectful to the Korean and Japanese culture.
There's nothing wrong with being interested in cultures of other countries. I must admit, I am very interested in anime and manga, Japanese video games, the Japanese language and some of the country's culture and history myself (I think my Youmu avatar is a bit of a giveaway lol) ,and I can get rather obsessive when talking about them...I don't know too much about the country and I'm definitely not going to pretend I do, but I would like to know more in the future. I don't like anime because it's from Japan; I like it because it tends to be a lot more diverse in terms of genres and be more serious than Western cartoons, and the aesthetic is nice.
But when people overboard and start believing that they know everything about them when they don't, that's a bit of a problem.
For example, I don't like it when people act like stereotypical 'weeaboos' who are crazy and think they know all about Japan or Korea, when really they only care about anime and K-pop music respectively. Japan and Korea are both countries with a lot of culture and very interesting histories, and to act like you're Japanese or Korean just because you like their media, that might be offensive to people who are actually from Japan or Korea. It's pretty much saying straight to their face, "the only interesting thing about your culture is your cartoons" or "Korea's just all about pop music". It's like saying the only significant thing about Italy is the food, and the UK is just drinking tea, talking posh, and the Queen. That is not only annoying, but very, very ignorant, and to be honest, makes you look a complete wazzock.
Some people, though, have the notion that being obsessed with Japan, and being a 'weeaboo' are one and the same, when that is not the case at all. That's not a good thing to do either.
The person I know who is the most interested in Japan is this girl at my school who is 2 years younger than me. Her backpacks have always featured anime characters, she often eats Japanese food, likes to draw manga, and she is taking Japanese lessons. But she is one of the nicest, most level-headed girls I have ever spoken to, and actually a lot more mature than some girls in my year...
(edited 7 years ago)
It is very cringy. Depends... watch videos on women who are weebos... god its cringy as ****. They clearly have mental issues.
idk I feel these weaboos are linked with introverts
Original post by bookooo
Don't worry, I am not one. However, I do have a Koreaboo friend and it can get really annoying sometimes.

But what I notice is that actual Korean people are not bothered by what she does. Maybe they are inside, but they definitely don't show it. It made me wonder a little whether they see it as offensive or not.

What are your feelings on Weeaboos and Koreaboos? Mine are that I don't like them at all. I find it a bit creepy, and sometimes disrespectful to the Korean and Japanese culture.

Most people in Korea and Japan are unaware of the existence of 'weeaboo' culture in the West, and if they have any opinion of it, they are just pleased to find out that their culture is known and enjoyed abroad beyond Gangnam style and karate/Miyazaki. The idea of 'cultural appropriation' and any negative associations thereof doesn't really exist in East Asia.
Reply 5
Original post by RCLeahcar
There's nothing wrong with being interested in cultures of other countries. I must admit, I am very interested in anime and manga, Japanese video games, the Japanese language and some of the country's culture and history myself (I think my Youmu avatar is a bit of a giveaway lol) ,and I can get rather obsessive when talking about them...I don't know too much about the country and I'm definitely not going to pretend I do, but I would like to know more in the future, I don't like anime because it's from Japan; I like it because it tends to be a lot more diverse in terms of genres and be more serious than Western cartoons, and the aesthetic is nice.
But when people overboard and start believing that they know everything about them when they don't, that's a bit of a problem.
For example, I don't like it when people act like stereotypical 'weeaboos' who are crazy and think they know all about Japan or Korea, when really they only care about anime and K-pop music respectively. Japan and Korea are both countries with a lot of culture and very interesting histories, and to act like you're Japanese or Korean just because you like their media, that might be offensive to people who are actually from Japan or Korea. It's pretty much saying straight to their face, "the only interesting thing about your culture is your cartoons" or "Korea's just all about pop music". It's like saying the only significant thing about Italy is the food, and the UK is just drinking tea, talking posh, and the Queen. That is not only annoying, but very, very ignorant, and to be honest, makes you look a complete wazzock.
Some people, though, have the notion that being obsessed with Japan, and being a 'weeaboo' are one and the same, when that is not the case at all. That's not a good thing to do either.
The person I know who is the most interested in Japan is this girl at my school. Her backpacks have always featured anime characters, she often eats Japanese food, likes to draw manga, and she is taking Japanese lessons. But she is one of the nicest, most level-headed girls I have ever spoken to.

Yes I agree, it is one thing to genuinely love the country but another to obsess over only specific things and act like a know it all. Koreaboos also have fetishes for Korean men specifically, which creeps me out. I think it's not a big deal to have a preference, but they completely act as if men from other races are non existent, and make comments about them while praising and admiring Korean guys, no matter the personality or appearance. I've seen this happen in real life and it's just... ugh
Reply 6
Original post by Copperknickers
Most people in Korea and Japan are unaware of the existence of 'weeaboo' culture in the West, and if they have any opinion of it, they are just pleased to find out that their culture is known and enjoyed abroad beyond Gangnam style and karate/Miyazaki. The idea of 'cultural appropriation' and any negative associations thereof doesn't really exist in East Asia.

Hmmm this makes sense. Because I've never seen anybody offended in real life. But I have seen many angry online. Which they have the right to be, of course. I guess it can go both ways, they either feel happy or amused, or just upset and annoyed by Koreaboos and Weeaboos.
A Koreaboo is an online term for somebody obsessed with Korean culture (especially the K-pop scene) to the point where they want to be Korean themselves.
A weeaboo is the same thing, but with Japanese culture instead, especially anime (cartoons from Japan) and manga (comics and graphic novels).
Had to google it

Most weaboos are uneducated about their obsession of choice and are often noobs who are overly zealous, trying to impress others with their otaku knowledge. Another trait of a weaboo is their desire to "be Japanese"

Yep still unclear
Original post by RCLeahcar
There's nothing wrong with being interested in cultures of other countries. I must admit, I am very interested in anime and manga, Japanese video games, the Japanese language and some of the country's culture and history myself (I think my Youmu avatar is a bit of a giveaway lol) ,and I can get rather obsessive when talking about them...I don't know too much about the country and I'm definitely not going to pretend I do, but I would like to know more in the future. I don't like anime because it's from Japan; I like it because it tends to be a lot more diverse in terms of genres and be more serious than Western cartoons, and the aesthetic is nice.
The person I know who is the most interested in Japan is this girl at my school who is 2 years younger than me. Her backpacks have always featured anime characters, she often eats Japanese food, likes to draw manga, and she is taking Japanese lessons. But she is one of the nicest, most level-headed girls I have ever spoken to, and actually a lot more mature than some girls in my year...

Yes. Sometimes it borders on a mental illness. People think they can actually be Japanese even though they're extremely white. Just because you watch Attack On Titan, have a body pillow and know simple Japanese phrases, it does not mean you're Japanese. Same goes for Koreaboos. You can respect Japanese and Korean culture without claiming it as your own.

Quick Reply

Latest