The Student Room Group

Anybody going to Oxford that's neither sporty nor musical?

Hi, I have recently recieved confirmation of my offer to study at Oxford University but I wondering if there was anyone heading there that isn't quite good at either sport or music (i.e. play instrument/ sing) I know this may seem stereotypical however many of the societies listed for my college in my fresher handbook appear to be very music/ sport orientated. I am considerably awful at both (big understatement), due to both a lack of interest and lack of skill, and I am quite concerned that I may be seen as odd and that there will be no societies available for me to join in freshers week.
The most popular societies are always the one listed. There'll be plenty of more niche ones better suited to your tastes. If you don't make a big deal about not being interested in those things no one else will.
Original post by Parrotperson
Hi, I have recently recieved confirmation of my offer to study at Oxford University but I wondering if there was anyone heading there that isn't quite good at either sport or music (i.e. play instrument/ sing) I know this may seem stereotypical however many of the societies listed for my college in my fresher handbook appear to be very music/ sport orientated. I am considerably awful at both (big understatement), due to both a lack of interest and lack of skill, and I am quite concerned that I may be seen as odd and that there will be no societies available for me to join in freshers week.

yo i'm not an oxford student but i go to camb and i can say that when i started uni i was thinking exactly the same as you lol
most of my friends are either sporty or play an instrument (makes me feel so inadequate) but honestly it really doesn't matter as there's loads of other socs to join - normally college socs tend to be more music/sport focused but uni wide socs tend to be much more diverse so just hop down to your freshers fair when you arrive and you'll be fine!!

last year i decided to start an art soc for my college so there's always that option too!

also there's no pressure to join a soc anyway - i didn't in first year
although i definitely would recommend looking and maybe trying something new! i always wanted to take up archery but it didn't fit in my uni timetable :frown:
Original post by DJMayes
The most popular societies are always the one listed. There'll be plenty of more niche ones better suited to your tastes. If you don't make a big deal about not being interested in those things no one else will.

That's good to hear :smile: I guess I thought I would stand out, but I'm glad it's not like that :smile:
Original post by PurpleSquid
yo i'm not an oxford student but i go to camb and i can say that when i started uni i was thinking exactly the same as you lol
most of my friends are either sporty or play an instrument (makes me feel so inadequate) but honestly it really doesn't matter as there's loads of other socs to join - normally college socs tend to be more music/sport focused but uni wide socs tend to be much more diverse so just hop down to your freshers fair when you arrive and you'll be fine!!

last year i decided to start an art soc for my college so there's always that option too!

also there's no pressure to join a soc anyway - i didn't in first year
although i definitely would recommend looking and maybe trying something new! i always wanted to take up archery but it didn't fit in my uni timetable :frown:

That's a relief to hear I'm not the only one. That's good to hear, I'm looking forward to freshers week a lot more now :smile:

Wow that's amazing :smile: Coincidentally art is my other passion in life (other than my degree course) - particularly drawing and painting. What sort of art do you enjoy?

That's good and I'm definitely going to get stuck in. I'm probably not going to join too many societies though as I'm very conscious of the workload ahead of me. What course are you studying?
Yeah you meet a lot of incredibly multi-talented people in Oxford, but it's not everyone.

If you did want to take up a sport/activity though its a place where you can try almost anything! Things like pool, archery, orienteering, gliding, hiking, battle re-enactment, croquet... and about 100 others. And I haven't even mentioned rowing yet!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Parrotperson
That's a relief to hear I'm not the only one. That's good to hear, I'm looking forward to freshers week a lot more now :smile:

Wow that's amazing :smile: Coincidentally art is my other passion in life (other than my degree course) - particularly drawing and painting. What sort of art do you enjoy?

That's good and I'm definitely going to get stuck in. I'm probably not going to join too many societies though as I'm very conscious of the workload ahead of me. What course are you studying?

awesome! yeah you should be excited!! i remember being hella nervous but honestly first year is so fun because it doesnt really count towards anything compared to 2nd and 3rd year so make the most of it :smile:

*oh cool!! yeah i love drawing and painting (i hold weekly drawing and watercolour sessions at my college which is so awesome especially since its all funded by college)
but outside of that i mainly draw digitally using my wacom tablet :smile:

yeah first year is tougher at the start bc everything feels so unknown but the workload itself becomes manageable and youll probably look back wishing that you stopped worrying about work so much and had more fun so keep that in mind!!
im doing natural sciences and am about to enter my third year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending