The Student Room Group

How much extra time should I spending a day practicing maths?

I start college this Monday and my subjects include OCR MEI Maths and Further Maths. People that are doing or have completed maths, how many hours do I need to spend extra in order to gain an A at AS for both?

Also, what month do they normally finish everything to cover in the AS? I just want a rough idea so I know how much time after I have covered everything, the exam season starts.
Original post by r.cornish
I start college this Monday and my subjects include OCR MEI Maths and Further Maths. People that are doing or have completed maths, how many hours do I need to spend extra in order to gain an A at AS for both?

Also, what month do they normally finish everything to cover in the AS? I just want a rough idea so I know how much time after I have covered everything, the exam season starts.

The time you need to put into maths depends on you, and it's a bad way to structure your work. When you learn a new topic do questions until you know you understand it, and can do any exam question on it- that may take less than an hour for some simpler topics or many hours for the harder ones.

We were finished teaching shortly after Easter.
Reply 2
Original post by sindyscape62
The time you need to put into maths depends on you, and it's a bad way to structure your work. When you learn a new topic do questions until you know you understand it, and can do any exam question on it- that may take less than an hour for some simpler topics or many hours for the harder ones.

We were finished teaching shortly after Easter.
Yeah, that is a good idea and how often do you do past papers?
Reply 3
You can try past paper questions as soon as you've learned the material. But personally I preferred to save them for practice under timed conditions in the revision break. You can get practice questions from your textbook until then.
Original post by r.cornish
Yeah, that is a good idea and how often do you do past papers?

I agree with the poster above- when you're learning the material do all the past questions in the textbook but save most of the past papers until you've finished teaching so you can do all the questions timed and get a grade. If you have mocks in January do a couple of past papers for each one you're being examined in, and leave the rest for starting at Easter. Maths has loads of past papers and they don't change much over time, so you should be able to do one or two a week until the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest