The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey can anyone tell me what the QR in the actual UKCAT exam is like in terms of difficulty compared to sources like medify?
Original post by Mulbkat84
Why is Glasgow considered a heavy UKCAT university? Last year was quite high in terms of the lowest score they considered but the two previous years, the lowest scores considered were around the average?

Is it because they rank the first 700 (who meet the other qualifications) for interview based on UKCAT score?

Yes i class a UKCAT heavy uni as one who only considers the top ranked applicants in terms of UKCAT score. Whether their cut off is high or low they still consider the UKCAT as a large part of their admissions criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsmad123
Hey can anyone tell me what the QR in the actual UKCAT exam is like in terms of difficulty compared to sources like medify?

Generally easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stone101
the published lowest scores they consider is quite surprising though. my sister is a 3rd year medic at glasgow and she was very surprised to hear about the lowest score that they have said they considered for her year as pretty much everyone she had talked to in her year scored near or above 700. it may be coincidental but it is interesting and strange.

Also its important to remember glasgow is a scottish uni who consider RUK and scottish/EU applicants on a different quota depending on how many they are wanting to let in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FIRST POST EVER!

Short and sweet- 760 avg. 10a* 40+ points in IB (enough for everywhere i need to go for all the a level students). HOWEVER.... Band 3 ukcat! Will that hinder my application much?I'm currently looking at Kings, Bham, UEA, Imperial (BMAT ofc)Or are there better universities that i should be looking at with my score?

1 week Hospital,1 week Womens Hospital (including theater),1 week GP, First Aid course done, 1STxv rugby, Karate, Oxford essay competition applicant- didn't win :frown: , Mentor, Medical society, Vice house cpt, Took part in Birmingham Mini medical school, Part of territorial army, Read medical literature, Care home for 1yr+, Funded water well in India, Gold DofE.

Thanks for all the help.
Original post by medic99
So a scores of 540 and 720 are of equal worth!? That can't be right?
1621/3=540 and 2160/3=720
Surely they need a way to distinguish betweenn applicants with such contrasting scores?

Why would I lie to you? That doesn't benefit me or you. This is verbatim from the admission tutor when I asked him about it. Whether they've changed it due to removing 900 from the overall score due to removing Decision Analysis, I'm not sure.

But by saying 540 = 720, you're ignoring how Birmingham uses your result. They don't take your average, they take your overall. That's how it's done. Consider it in terms of your overall score, not your average, because that's not how Birmingham does it.

EDIT: Just making sure you know, but this is for Dentistry, not sure for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediocreman
FIRST POST EVER!

Short and sweet- 760 avg. 10a* 40+ points in IB (enough for everywhere i need to go for all the a level students). HOWEVER.... Band 3 ukcat! Will that hinder my application much?I'm currently looking at Kings, Bham, UEA, Imperial (BMAT ofc)Or are there better universities that i should be looking at with my score?

1 week Hospital,1 week Womens Hospital (including theater),1 week GP, First Aid course done, 1STxv rugby, Karate, Oxford essay competition applicant- didn't win :frown: , Mentor, Medical society, Vice house cpt, Took part in Birmingham Mini medical school, Part of territorial army, Read medical literature, Care home for 1yr+, Funded water well in India, Gold DofE.

Thanks for all the help.

great score! well done, honestly depends some unis dont look at it at all and others like Edinburgh basically require band 1
Original post by emelinaw
Another wannabe medic here!:biggrin:

GCSE: 6A* (English x2, French, German, Biology, Chemistry)
7A (Maths x2, Physics, History, Drama, Dance, Music)
A2 predictions: AAA (but could probably be pushed to A*AA)

UKCAT: VR - 670
QR - 800
AR - 640
(2110 total and 703 average)
SJT - Band 2
Unsure where to apply - I feel like my UKCAT is better than average, but not quite good enough for the really UKCAT heavy unis:s-smilie:

Your score is really good :smile: What did you use to help you achieve 800 in QR?
Original post by xJessScott
great score! well done, honestly depends some unis dont look at it at all and others like Edinburgh basically require band 1

Thanks for the response. Are there any other universities that i should look to avoid? Or better universities that i should look at, since my UKcat score is good and it's only just the SJT letting me down?
Original post by L1234567
Your score is really good :smile: What did you use to help you achieve 800 in QR?

Honestly I did limited revision- about 2-3 days of Medify was enough! QR is definitely easier in the actual exam - I was getting about 600 in my mocks for reference!
Original post by L1234567

i got 830 in my QR (and 890 in my AR). For qr, the questions were a lot easier than i anticipated. Easier than medify and a lot easier than the official practive mocks and the 600/1000 Q book.
Reply 4031
Original post by &Hope
is it worth applying for medicine for a Ukcat average of 590? I did it today and it went horribly wrong for some reason.... practiced sooo much but don't know what happened

GCSE's: 5 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs
AS levels: As in biology and chemistry, B in ICT (maybe I'll get that remarked and push it to an A) and a C in maths which I'm retaking all the exams for this year

Yes. Keele only require you to be in the top 80%, there are BMAt unis, Bristol only put 10% emphasis and Cardiff only use as a tie breaker!!!!!!! If medicine is what you love and you are dedicated then don't give up, give it your best shot. If you get rejected take a gap year and redo the UKCAT and reapply!!!!! However, if you were never sure or have something else in mind you might want to go for that if you don't want to take a gap year. Id say if you really want it go for it!!!!
Original post by emelinaw
Honestly I did limited revision- about 2-3 days of Medify was enough! QR is definitely easier in the actual exam - I was getting about 600 in my mocks for reference!

Original post by mediocreman
i got 830 in my QR (and 890 in my AR). For qr, the questions were a lot easier than i anticipated. Easier than medify and a lot easier than the official practive mocks and the 600/1000 Q book.

What sort of topics came up? Thanks!
Just did the UKCAT:VR: 530 (it was hard)QR: 850AR: 600 (disappointing)SJ: Band 2AVG: 660AS: AAAAAA2 predictions most likely to be A*A*AAGCSEs: 6A* 4AGood PSWhere should I apply? I wanted to apply to London unis like Queen Mary/St Georges/King's
Original post by zoemccarthy34
Yes. Keele only require you to be in the top 80%, there are BMAt unis, Bristol only put 10% emphasis and Cardiff only use as a tie breaker!!!!!!! If medicine is what you love and you are dedicated then don't give up, give it your best shot. If you get rejected take a gap year and redo the UKCAT and reapply!!!!! However, if you were never sure or have something else in mind you might want to go for that if you don't want to take a gap year. Id say if you really want it go for it!!!!

so I wouldn't be aiming unrealistically high if I apply for Keele, cardiff and bristol?????
well now I have no choice except to do the BMAT and apply for one Bmat uni (probably imperial) as I heard they focus on GCSE grades and my grades are not that strong

another question... I looked at the decision analysis section that's been excluded this year and it seems easy compared to the other 3 sections.... so don't you people think that averages must have been higher the previous years considering averages this year are based only on the hardest 3 sections? or am I wrong?
what about Leicester university with average.590???
would I have any hope in applying there?
Hi,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and it worries me that some people are going to be lulled into a false sense of security reading other peoples comments like 'the real thing is waaaaay easier than the mocks!' 'You're likely to get 50-100 points higher than your average mock score so don't worry if you're not doing well in the mocks' 'this section is so much easier/harder than the mocks' etc. etc.

A lot of the comments/tips on here ARE great and helpful - however comments such as the above are NOT helpful. Everyone has a different experience which I fully appreciate & I'm not trying to scare anyone (honestly :colondollar:) - but if you've not done the exam yet please do not rely too much on these amazing success stories people are sharing.

p.s. sorry for being a bore - I mean well I promise!
Did the UKCAT today, posting my scores here for the mocks:

MOCK A: VR = 830, 12 QR = 500, 37 AR = 670, Average: 667
MOCK B: 39 VR = 850, 20 QR = 630, 33 AR = 630, Average: 703
MOCK C: 30 VR = 670, 24 QR = 670, 39 AR = 700, average = 680 (QUITE TIRED)
Medify 1:VR = 800, QR = 800, AR = 750, average = 783
Medify 2:VR = 730, QR = 730, AR = 670, Average = 710
Medify 3:VR = 700, QR = 730, AR = 770, average: 733
Actual: VR = 610, QR = 890, AR = 750, average: 750

As far as the test goes, VR was very difficult as everyone had said. About 8 of the passages went from the top to the bottom of the page, 2 were 3/4 of the page and 1 was between 1/2 and 3/4. For lots of the questions the answers weren't decisive (could've been one of two answers) and from talking to my friends, i think i got quite a hard set of questions (2 or 3 true/false). Frankly i thought i did better than 610.

QR, as everyone said, was easy. Simple maths but sometimes time consuming, quite a lot was repetitive. However some of my friends did get some harder questions on this, so I'm guessing i had an easy set and they had a medium/hard.

AR unlike what most people said, didn't have many simple patterns for me. Quite a few were conditional, some were complex, some had multiple rules, some were very time consuming (number of intersections = number of parallel lines - 2). The simplest one I had was number of segments was even/odd. However this did balance out because I only had 1 set 4, and then three set 2 or 3s which were all quite easy, so altogether I'd say i had a medium set.

And just for anyone that wants a score reference: [without DM]
2015 average = 632.75 [634], 10th decile = 712.5 [713.9 approx]
2014 average = 626.25 [630.3]. 10th decile = 707.5, [711.8 approx]

so Decision Making did pull the scores down ever so slightly, but its pretty insignificant. And the score given is the lowest score you could've got to be in the 10th decile (top 10% of people) so bear in ming the scores on here are not representative. Good luck everyone
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Herbie9
Hi,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and it worries me that some people are going to be lulled into a false sense of security reading other peoples comments like 'the real thing is waaaaay easier than the mocks!' 'You're likely to get 50-100 points higher than your average mock score so don't worry if you're not doing well in the mocks' 'this section is so much easier/harder than the mocks' etc. etc.

A lot of the comments/tips on here ARE great and helpful - however comments such as the above are NOT helpful. Everyone has a different experience which I fully appreciate & I'm not trying to scare anyone (honestly :colondollar:) - but if you've not done the exam yet please do not rely too much on these amazing success stories people are sharing.

p.s. sorry for being a bore - I mean well I promise!

I agree, yes QR is easier in the real things, yes VR is harder in the real thing, but that doesnt matter. Just do you and go for it regardless of what everyone else is doing or saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending