The Student Room Group

Tried hard- mediocre As grades.

What to do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't say anything about maths as I did not take maths, but I took both chem and bio.

I would say you should resit all the modules you did not get A's in. Thats what i did. I got AABBC at AS, resat everything apart from the A in bio (it was 94%ums). I ended up doing 7 resits, along side my A2 exams and I managed to cope. In all honesty it isn't as hard to do as they say, take lots of resits whist doing A2 exams at the same time. I didnt even start revising for the resits until a few weeks or even a week before the exam. As I know they didn't really count as much, I was relaxed and clear minded and aced all of them getting above 90% ums in all of them.

As for your A2 exams, they are the priority. Bio and Chem, lots of past papers. The same questions styles come up each year, just different examples used in them. Work harder than you did for AS for A2. Let your AS levels of effort be your baseline and just do it!

With this method of resisting basically everything, and working as hard as I possibly could for A2's I turned my AABBC into A*A*A. You can do the same too!!!!!!! Don't let AS grades get you down.
For maths just do every past paper and you're almost guaranteed an A. With chemistry work hard on your understanding of the content and then make sure you are comfortable with calculations. Then do loads of past papers. Finally for biology I find it helpful to look at lots of different resources ( different textbooks, YouTube ect ) as this helps you to fully understand the concepts by seeing them explained differently. And of course do plenty of past papers
Original post by soLit
I can't say anything about maths as I did not take maths, but I took both chem and bio.

I would say you should resit all the modules you did not get A's in. Thats what i did. I got AABBC at AS, resat everything apart from the A in bio (it was 94%ums). I ended up doing 7 resits, along side my A2 exams and I managed to cope. In all honesty it isn't as hard to do as they say, take lots of resits whist doing A2 exams at the same time. I didnt even start revising for the resits until a few weeks or even a week before the exam. As I know they didn't really count as much, I was relaxed and clear minded and aced all of them getting above 90% ums in all of them.

As for your A2 exams, they are the priority. Bio and Chem, lots of past papers. The same questions styles come up each year, just different examples used in them. Work harder than you did for AS for A2. Let your AS levels of effort be your baseline and just do it!

With this method of resisting basically everything, and working as hard as I possibly could for A2's I turned my AABBC into A*A*A. You can do the same too!!!!!!! Don't let AS grades get you down.

I'm not resitting biology and chemistry because it is the reformed A level, so it doesn't count towards my final grade. Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on resitting maths though (which has not changed) . How did you study throughout the year and how did it change right before the exams (if there was any change in method)?
Original post by HopelessMedic
For maths just do every past paper and you're almost guaranteed an A. With chemistry work hard on your understanding of the content and then make sure you are comfortable with calculations. Then do loads of past papers. Finally for biology I find it helpful to look at lots of different resources ( different textbooks, YouTube ect ) as this helps you to fully understand the concepts by seeing them explained differently. And of course do plenty of past papers

Ok, thanks for this answer. I will keep this in mind. Did you work more on a particular one?
Also,I have a problem with my REVISON timing. I spend a long time doing hardly anything, do you know how to change this? Have you had issue with this at all?
Original post by Onthedancefloor
Ok, thanks for this answer. I will keep this in mind. Did you work more on a particular one?
Also,I have a problem with my REVISON timing. I spend a long time doing hardly anything, do you know how to change this? Have you had issue with this at all?

I worked more on the sciences during the year, but then I revised more for maths as it counts for 50%. It sounds like you procrastinate a lot, I did the same until I decided to leave my phone in another room and only check it when on a break.
Reply 6
Original post by Onthedancefloor
I'm not resitting biology and chemistry because it is the reformed A level, so it doesn't count towards my final grade. Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on resitting maths though (which has not changed) . How did you study throughout the year and how did it change right before the exams (if there was any change in method)?

Ahh, I don't really understand the new a levels.

I would say, make sure you are learning the correct way. Take time to actually find out how you learn. I used to always make notes, condense them to one page, learn them and then do past papers. I found out that I am quite a visual and audial (is that a word) learner. So now I make notes and talk out loud to myself over and over and listen to myself and I learn it so much faster that way. Either way, past papers are the way to go! Although, you are a bit limited in resources with the new spec :/

Also, condensing your notes is very important. Try make your notes for each topics only one side of A4 ,or it turns into a copy of the textbook!
Original post by HopelessMedic
I worked more on the sciences during the year, but then I revised more for maths as it counts for 50%. It sounds like you procrastinate a lot, I did the same until I decided to leave my phone in another room and only check it when on a break.

Aha that's funny actually because I'd rather be bored then study, so i often find myself with work infront of me but I'd rather watch paint dry to be quite honest :tongue:.

Also, it's just that I take a while to process things and write😔.
Got an A in maths. not amazing UMS- C1- 85 (I lost 5 marks for incorrect addition_ C2- 87 Stats- 96. All I can advise is keep going over the exam papers. No matter how mind-numbing it is, it's the best way to enhance your technique! Exam solutions is incredible for this as it goes through questions you may not understand.
Original post by soLit
Ahh, I don't really understand the new a levels.

I would say, make sure you are learning the correct way. Take time to actually find out how you learn. I used to always make notes, condense them to one page, learn them and then do past papers. I found out that I am quite a visual and audial (is that a word) learner. So now I make notes and talk out loud to myself over and over and listen to myself and I learn it so much faster that way. Either way, past papers are the way to go! Although, you are a bit limited in resources with the new spec :/

Also, condensing your notes is very important. Try make your notes for each topics only one side of A4 ,or it turns into a copy of the textbook!

Very Good point :biggrin:. I started making my biology notes for AS on A3 paper. I've included most of two textbooks and some of specification but I'm already 2 double sided A3 papers in, and it's only the first (and smallest) section out of 4! 😕

Yess, my teachers don't really know how to approach the exam because of the new spec. We are just trying to practise on old papers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply