The Student Room Group

grades to get into a course like mathematics A level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jtk101
English literature, art and Business all A levels but sadly i failed english literature and business i admit its my fault for letting my anxiety and depression getting in way therefore causing self harm. The school won let me continue the courses English and business, i really wanted to do mathematics and that was all that was in my mind at the time business was soon boring and literature i barely had time for it basically the school had too many crap teacher they never supported me one bit

The A levels you are doing, won't get you into a Computer Science/Programming degree!

You should try to find another sixth form preferably. Sixth forms are better than colleges in terms of support.

Don't get too worried about this, you can always just self teach and sit exams at a centre or something...
Reply 21
Original post by swagmister
Possibly if the requirement is a B but tbh I think even if one had a B in GCSE maths they would be likely to struggle at A level

^
Yeah, my college would make B grade students take extra classes to help them keep up.

OP, could you retake the GCSE, or do another maths qualification for a year? It means you would finish A-levels a year later, but worth it if maths is your interest.
Reply 22
Original post by Naruke
The A levels you are doing, won't get you into a Computer Science/Programming degree!

You should try to find another sixth form preferably. Sixth forms are better than colleges in terms of support.

Don't get too worried about this, you can always just self teach and sit exams at a centre or something...

Yeah i guess your right tomorrow i have a college appointment and if i can't get into mathematic my life is as good as non existent
Reply 23
Original post by jtk101
Yeah i guess your right tomorrow i have a college appointment and if i can't get into mathematic my life is as good as non existent

Stop talking like that

Let me know how it goes
Reply 24
Original post by Ezme39
^
Yeah, my college would make B grade students take extra classes to help them keep up.

OP, could you retake the GCSE, or do another maths qualification for a year? It means you would finish A-levels a year later, but worth it if maths is your interest.

I'll see but i doubt i can even get off my house to do that I'm far too anxious with every step i take i think ill look for another college but thanks for your suggestion
Reply 25
Original post by Naruke
Stop talking like that

Let me know how it goes

Ok i will, if i don't get a place ....i guess suicide is my only option ....
Reply 26
Original post by jtk101
Ok i will, if i don't get a place ....i guess suicide is my only option ....

Oh my god :colonhash:

Why don't you self teach
Reply 27
Original post by Naruke
Oh my god :colonhash:

Why don't you self teach

ok How much would i have to pay for the exam
Original post by jtk101
I've been wondering if its possible to get into A level mathematics if I had a C grade that was one mark of a B I've been suffering from anxiety and depression throughout secondary but ofcourse no one cares so would I still be able to do the course?

Depends on your schools policy.

If you have depression and anxiety issues, then for the school to take notice they needed to have been backed up by a leter from a medical professional like your GP. Presumably you made an application for special circumstances in your exams?

If your issues havent been dealt with, then you will need to convince them you have it under control as the course will be more stressful and likely more pressured, which will affect your performance even more.
Reply 29
Original post by jtk101
ok How much would i have to pay for the exam

Getting a full A level in Maths would cost £97 and you'd have to arrange a price to actually sit the exams at a local school or centre.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Centre%20administration/Edexcel-Quals-Pricelist-2015-2016.pdf
Reply 30
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on your schools policy.

If you have depression and anxiety issues, then for the school to take notice they needed to have been backed up by a leter from a medical professional like your GP. Presumably you made an application for special circumstances in your exams?

If your issues havent been dealt with, then you will need to convince them you have it under control as the course will be more stressful and likely more pressured, which will affect your performance even more.

I've recently got a counsellor/physiologist who's been helping me deal with stress so i know i can handle the course and i think th reason my anxiety and depression was worse was because i hated the subject business which was a filler i had to do
Reply 31
Original post by Naruke
Getting a full A level in Maths would cost £97 and you'd have to arrange a price to actually sit the exams at a local school or centre.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Centre%20administration/Edexcel-Quals-Pricelist-2015-2016.pdf

O_O wow i gotta pay that i guess its good to take risks sometimes *gulps*
Reply 32
Original post by jtk101
O_O wow i gotta pay that i guess its good to take risks sometimes *gulps*

Get a job or trap in the bando
Reply 33
Original post by Naruke
Get a job or trap in the bando

Lol i'll just pay it off easily
Reply 34
But it won't come to that because you'll be successful in your interview :smile:

tbh, I don't know why you don't just stay in your original sixth form and self-teach AS maths...
Original post by jtk101
I've been wondering if its possible to get into A level mathematics if I had a C grade that was one mark of a B I've been suffering from anxiety and depression throughout secondary but ofcourse no one cares so would I still be able to do the course?

My school would let you - yes they'd ask you whether you're sure you could handle it but they'd let you i mean if you were a high performing student overall who seemed to be facing such circumstances then they'd help you too
I got a C in bio and i guess being an internal student made it easier for me to still do it - I wasn't even persuaded to not take instead just put down for extra bio classes with minimal hesitation :smile: ask ur sixth form I'm sure they'd help you
Original post by jtk101
I've recently got a counsellor/physiologist who's been helping me deal with stress so i know i can handle the course and i think th reason my anxiety and depression was worse was because i hated the subject business which was a filler i had to do

You didnt really answer my question, but that aside, then you can make the point about getting a counselor in support of why you should be let on the course. A ketter from either the counselor or your GP would help. Your teacher at GCSE would probably have some input as well as to your ability to cope.
Reply 37
Original post by Naruke
But it won't come to that because you'll be successful in your interview :smile:

tbh, I don't know why you don't just stay in your original sixth form and self-teach AS maths...

coz their evil all i see is favouritism everywhere, they favour some students over others thats why i didn't bother they never helped me out when i asked they told me to go away, i mean who wouldn't be pissed off.
Original post by jtk101

Depends on the college as they'll all have different requirements (mine asked for a B at GCSE for example). Contact them and explain the situation and see what they say - if you were only 1 mark off a B it might sway things in your favour.
Reply 39
Original post by 999tigger
You didnt really answer my question, but that aside, then you can make the point about getting a counselor in support of why you should be let on the course. A ketter from either the counselor or your GP would help. Your teacher at GCSE would probably have some input as well as to your ability to cope.

i should be let on the course because I really interested in maths, more than 90% of the topics interest and i am willing to spend an 1 hr a day for mathematic additionally it would be beneficial for programming. i wasn't able to study as hard because of anxiety and depression triggered by the people around me i felt alone and unwanted plus my teacher wasn't able to teacher all the topics due to constant disruptions by students

Quick Reply

Latest