The Student Room Group

people only talk to me to show off

I am tired of people showing off.For example i may get an A* in something yet i do not go around showing off yet people with A's for example go showing off I hate it they never think how others around may feel if things did not go well for them.
You are doing the right thing. #StayHumble
Original post by Anonymous1502
I am tired of people showing off.For example i may get an A* in something yet i do not go around showing off yet people with A's for example go showing off I hate it they never think how others around may feel if things did not go well for them.

They may just be proud of there grade because they worked hard for it? I know it can get annoying but it's not going to kill you.
The humble brag suggests otherwise.
Original post by Hayley Williams
They may just be proud of there grade because they worked hard for it? I know it can get annoying but it's not going to kill you.

I am proud too but i take how others feel around me into consideration.
Original post by NotNotBatman
The humble brag suggests otherwise.

I am giving an example ok.
I am proud too but i take how others feel around me into consideration.

To be honest, i don't know what you want me to say. Some people just like to tell people how they have done and you should just be happy for them, or you could make the savage move of telling them that it's not an A* ahaha :biggrin:. That one usually shuts them up.
Some people want to say what they got because well they are proud of themselves and well they worked hard for it, i mean yes it can be irritating and annoying but for the time being let them have their time in the sun.
Original post by retro_turtles
Some people want to say what they got because well they are proud of themselves and well they worked hard for it, i mean yes it can be irritating and annoying but for the time being let them have their time in the sun.

The point I want to make is that I could be in someone's class for 2 years they only come to me and actually give me attention and realise I exist when they want to show off and make others feel bad if things go bad for you for some reason.I just think it would be nice if people spoke to me for reasons other then to brag.
Your achievements make them feel insecure in themselves, take it as a compliment
The point I want to make is that I could be in someone's class for 2 years they only come to me and actually give me attention and realise I exist when they want to show off and make others feel bad if things go bad for you for some reason.I just think it would be nice if people spoke to me for reasons other then to brag.

fair enough
People show pride in different ways, I never liked the straight-A* students who would **** over their straight-A* results that they knew they were gonna get and post "Oh I guess all my hard work paid off didn't it!! SO PROUD!! x" on Facebook with their 800 likes and their 100 comments (I'm not salty at all.. no..). I once got a D in a History module and almost snapped my phone in half when I was looking through all the posts of people saying they got A*s and 95 UMS. To be fair I showed them when I got A* in the retake of the module :biggrin:.

Really the best thing to do is just ignore them, there's no point getting so worked up about it. Trust me telling people who like to show pride externally that they're showing off too much will probably just make their head twice as large and they'll show off even more.
Original post by Bonoahx
People show pride in different ways, I never liked the straight-A* students who would **** over their straight-A* results that they knew they were gonna get and post "Oh I guess all my hard work paid off didn't it!! SO PROUD!! x" on Facebook with their 800 likes and their 100 comments (I'm not salty at all.. no..). I once got a D in a History module and almost snapped my phone in half when I was looking through all the posts of people saying they got A*s and 95 UMS. To be fair I showed them when I got A* in the retake of the module :biggrin:.

Really the best thing to do is just ignore them, there's no point getting so worked up about it. Trust me telling people who like to show pride externally that they're showing off too much will probably just make their head twice as large and they'll show off even more.

Thank you and well done on that a*.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Maybe you should get more A*s, and make sure people know about it, then they won't brag to you (since they'll think you'll bring up your better results and make them feel bad).

Works for me and my 999A*s :u:

but what if I got an a and they got an a*?
Thank you and well done on that a*.

It was four years ago but thanks, ended up getting a B overall which I was still happy with, it's a GCSE anyway
Arrogant people eh? Don't you just find them sooo annoying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on being modest, it's the right thing, keep it up!!

Quick Reply

Latest