The Student Room Group

What's the better combination??

What's the better combination: Maths, economics, business studies and accounting. Or Maths, Business studies, ICT and accounting?? I have to pick one out of these 2 combinations!!
Original post by varshan_k
What's the better combination: Maths, economics, business studies and accounting. Or Maths, Business studies, ICT and accounting?? I have to pick one out of these 2 combinations!!

So the key difference I guess is Economics vs ICT.. which do you think you would enjoy more? What kind of area do you want to go into after your studies? Do you feel confident to do coursework?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
So the key difference I guess is Economics vs ICT.. which do you think you would enjoy more? What kind of area do you want to go into after your studies? Do you feel confident to do coursework?

If I'm being completely honest, I enjoy maths related subjects the most like economics but I'm also fascinated with technology, at uni i want to do computer science and I feel completely uncomfortable doing coursework I suck at it.
If I'm being completely honest, I enjoy maths related subjects the most like economics but I'm also fascinated with technology, at uni i want to do computer science and I feel completely uncomfortable doing coursework I suck at it.

It seems that ICT does have a bit of coursework in it... have a look at both specs, Ideally you want a good grade - ICT (from looking at the spec and at a few entry requirements for some unis) doesn't seem to be that important so all that really matters is a good grade, particularly in maths. So.. pick the one you think that A. You'll enjoy the most and B. get the better grade in.
Reply 4
thank you, so much, you made me less stressful and stopped me from procrastinating! Thank you.
Original post by SeanFM
It seems that ICT does have a bit of coursework in it... have a look at both specs, Ideally you want a good grade - ICT (from looking at the spec and at a few entry requirements for some unis) doesn't seem to be that important so all that really matters is a good grade, particularly in maths. So.. pick the one you think that A. You'll enjoy the most and B. get the better grade in.

Why Business, Accounting and Economics? Unless there's a reason I'd say go for Maths, ICT, Economics and Business. I doubt there's much in accounting that won't be covered in Maths, Econ and Business. ICT is gonna get you way further than Accounting will imo as long as you get the grades.
Reply 6
economics, business AND accounting is not a very good combination.

Personally I would do ONLY economics but definitely do not do all three.
Reply 7
Original post by wickedisgood
Why Business, Accounting and Economics? Unless there's a reason I'd say go for Maths, ICT, Economics and Business. I doubt there's much in accounting that won't be covered in Maths, Econ and Business. ICT is gonna get you way further than Accounting will imo as long as you get the grades.

beat me to it :P
Reply 8
you got a good point, but i'm only doing accounting as a soft subject so that I can drop it at A level, a lot of people say it's a 'soft subject' or an 'easy subject' so I just picked accounting to get UCAS points! At the moment I can't decide if I want to replace business studies with ICT or not
Original post by stirkee
economics, business AND accounting is not a very good combination.

Personally I would do ONLY economics but definitely do not do all three.
Reply 9
you got a good point, but i'm only doing accounting as a soft subject so that I can drop it at A level, a lot of people say it's a 'soft subject' or an 'easy subject' so I just picked accounting to get UCAS points! At the moment I can't decide if I want to replace business studies with ICT or not

fair enough, your a level choices do look incredibly narrow though. Probably better to choose something different but its up to you.
Reply 10
is it hard to get into uni's with narrow subject's like mine?
Original post by stirkee
fair enough, your a level choices do look incredibly narrow though. Probably better to choose something different but its up to you.
is it hard to get into uni's with narrow subject's like mine?

well its a very difficult question to answer, how long is a piece of string? :P

Depends on the uni (a lot of universities don't like accounting as a subject I believe?i.e. its on their "non-preferred" list) and also i guess the subject.

If you wanna go to uni and do accounting, it probably isn't an issue. But what happens if you change your mind and want to do a science at uni (for example). I just think its better to have at least one slightly different (or at least "neutral") subject just in case, if that makes sense?

Maths and economics are pretty strong subjects. If you want to do something in business/finance/accounting/etc they alone will get you there, you don't need business and accounting too.

But at the end of the day do what you enjoy/are good at first and foremost I think.
You can't do business and economics. They're units are too similar. That's what my A-Level teacher told me =_=
Original post by Writer_Refresh
You can't do business and economics. They're units are too similar. That's what my A-Level teacher told me =_=

Did he mean literally you can't? as that's not true

but I agree they are similar and I personally would not do them together (and I didn't, i only did econ)
Reply 14
is business studies itslef a good subject because I cannot drop economics, only business studies.
Original post by stirkee
Did he mean literally you can't? as that's not true

but I agree they are similar and I personally would not do them together (and I didn't, i only did econ)
is business studies itslef a good subject because I cannot drop economics, only business studies.

I guess its probably in the middle somewhere. Economics is a lot stronger and generally I believe that economics AND business is seen as a bit weak (think of it as a bit like an A level and a half because you're doing them together). Doing accounting on top of that too is probably an A level and two-thirds altogether, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest