The Student Room Group

Lonely

Hey
Not really sure how to put my situation into words, but i'll do my best. tbh it's a bit lame anyway.

I just feel.. lonely. I want to talk to girls for some reason, but I have no opportunities to; I don't sit near any in classes, and outside of class they tend to hang around in their own groups or w/e, (this wouldn't be a problem, if it wasn't for the fact that I struggle to have the confidence conversation even in a one on one situation).

Even if I do get a chance to have a conversation, I have... nothing... to say. I just don't know what to say, this is a problem when talking to anyone, even my family (this is the main issue really, I'd be fine with going up to someone and being a bit nervous if I had something to talk about).

Anyone have any advice? I feel so isolated and alone without any sort of way out : (
Social anxiety, maybe. Have you considered therapy? Have you spoken to friends/family about this?

If you want to talk to girls; look your best, put yourself out there and more importantly just be yourself. :smile:
Reply 2
I spoke a little bit about it to my best friend ( a bit less openly though), he wasn't really sure what to do about it either.

Regarding the last part, I do try to but the nerves just get too much : (
Original post by Anonymous
I spoke a little bit about it to my best friend ( a bit less openly though), he wasn't really sure what to do about it either.

Regarding the last part, I do try to but the nerves just get too much : (

Yeah I have friends who are completely incompetent when it comes to being understanding of mental illnesses.

It's difficult, I know, but as long as you expose yourself to different scenarios and such like you'll eventually come to grips with things.
Reply 4
Heh it's not his fault, it's a difficult thing to help with : P

Recently I've been trying to just do whatever the hell scares me most, sometimes its just simply saying hello to whoever is walking past but I've been gradually making progress : )
you are white.
Original post by I8myselfie
you are white.

...what.
Reply 7
Original post by I8myselfie
you are white.

Well observed chum
You are a white person man...
Hello! While I haven't experienced exactly what you have, I can empathise, although in my case, I was just spectacularly bad at making small talk and basically had zero self confidence. Honestly, (as unhelpful as this might seem), although therapy might help, I found that the key is being relaxed and confident. Or faking it until you actually are. So the saying hello thing is exactly the kind of thing I found helped. If you're really nervous, having basic questions prepared to start a conversation are useful. It's also worth bearing in mind that I'm effectively talking from the point of view of the girls in the groups, so some of them are probably in the same situation as you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending