The Student Room Group

Should I keep 4 A2s?

Heyo

I recently completed my AS's in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm planning to do maths next year at university (aiming for top ones; Oxbridge, St. Andrews, Durham). Despite getting top results in all my option, I feel as though chemistry is a HUGE drain on my time; I probably spent 65-70% of my revision last year on chem alone and dropping it would give me several more free periods a week (which I would use for STEP or something) I'm also not as interested in it as other subjects (I don't hate it, but I certainly don't enjoy it).

Spoiler

This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also going to be doing an EPQ and STEP.

I'm therefore considering dropping chemistry, but...

Will it impact my application? - Will universities prefer me to have four over three a-levels or does it not matter? Any advice regarding this situation?

Thanks
It depends on what you want to do when your older, you should check the course you want on the universities websites. Normally universities accept three since not a lot of people do four Alevels
Reply 2
Original post by Kayeen
It depends on what you want to do when your older, you should check the course you want on the universities websites. Normally universities accept three since not a lot of people do four Alevels

Most of the websites i've looked at don't say.

Do you reckon people applying to top universities will have 3 or 4?
Original post by BurdMan

Im sure they would prefer 3 good grades rather than 4 average ones.
Maths at uni, perfect maths subjects at A2 in maths , FM and physics. Lol drop chemistry so hard
Original post by BurdMan

From the ones I've looked at it, for example would say Alevel ABB. This means they want three Alevels and then others would tell you the specific Alevel requirements for their course. If they do not tell you anything on their websites, you could ring up and ask the universities that you wish to apply for. Btw what is it that you want to do at university?
Reply 6
Original post by Kayeen
From the ones I've looked at it, for example would say Alevel ABB. This means they want three Alevels and then others would tell you the specific Alevel requirements for their course. If they do not tell you anything on their websites, you could ring up and ask the universities that you wish to apply for. Btw what is it that you want to do at university?

Maths : P
Original post by BurdMan
Maths : P

Then you probably can drop chemistry unless your doing maths that is related to chemistry
Reply 8
Original post by Kayeen
Then you probably can drop chemistry unless your doing maths that is related to chemistry

So I definitely won't be at a disadvantage for only having 3?
Original post by BurdMan

As long as you do good on them then no you won't be as universities prefer you to have 3 solid Alevel results rather than border line grades with four.
Original post by BurdMan

As long as you do good on them then no you won't be as universities prefer you to have 3 solid Alevel results rather than border line grades with four.

Quick Reply