The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE Results good enough to get into Med School??

I got 4A* and 7A's, with the A* in biology, chemistry, physics and general studies having missed out on the A* in Maths by a few marks
Yes. Not all of them, but many.
Original post by K2468
I got 4A* and 7A's, with the A* in biology, chemistry, physics and general studies having missed out on the A* in Maths by a few marks

Yes thats good enough for most medical schools. It will rule out the GCSE heavy ones such as Birmingham, QUB, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford but you should be fine at most other places.
Reply 3
Original post by Natalierm2707
Yes thats good enough for most medical schools. It will rule out the GCSE heavy ones such as Birmingham, QUB, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford but you should be fine at most other places.

Thanks, looks like it's time for me to gain as much experience as possible and focus on A doing well in A Levels now
Reply 4
Original post by K2468
Thanks, looks like it's time for me to gain as much experience as possible and focus on A doing well in A Levels now

Exactly :smile: the GCSEs are only one part of the application, your A levels and UKCAT will significantly affect where you can apply
Reply 5
no chance...

Hi I got 5 A*s in Maths,Chem,Citizenship,PE,Product design and 4 A's in English Lang,Bio,Physics and 2B's in English Lit and French.:smile: Is this good enough to go to medical school? Thanks for your help!:h:
Reply 7
Original post by starstudent7
Hi I got 5 A*s in Maths,Chem,Citizenship,PE,Product design and 4 A's in English Lang,Bio,Physics and 2B's in English Lit and French.:smile: Is this good enough to go to medical school? Thanks for your help!:h:

I got very similar, and I've just finished my first year at med school :smile: Don't apply anywhere that's too GCSE heavy, and make sure you get a good UKCAT score
Original post by Ezme39
I got very similar, and I've just finished my first year at med school :smile: Don't apply anywhere that's too GCSE heavy, and make sure you get a good UKCAT score

Omg really, I feel so much better now:smile: By GCSE heavy which ones do u mean? Also what did you get in your alevels if you don't mind? Is the UKCAT hard? Thanks for your help and support:h:
Reply 9
Omg really, I feel so much better now:smile: By GCSE heavy which ones do u mean? Also what did you get in your alevels if you don't mind? Is the UKCAT hard? Thanks for your help and support:h:

For example, it's not worth applying to Cardiff with less than 7A*s, or to Oxford. There are a few more, but I'm not up-to-date with all the requirements this year, so it's worth asking someone who is :smile:
At A-level, I was predicted A*AA, but ultimately achieved AAB, and was luckily still allowed to accept my place at the Hull York medical school. It's really rare for this to happen!
The UKCAT isn't easy, but as long as you put in plenty of practice you will be fine. I did 1 or 2 hours an evening, for about a month before the test, and got a 695 average score (which if you aren't familiar with it yet, is pretty strong) :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
For example, it's not worth applying to Cardiff with less than 7A*s, or to Oxford. There are a few more, but I'm not up-to-date with all the requirements this year, so it's worth asking someone who is :smile:
At A-level, I was predicted A*AA, but ultimately achieved AAB, and was luckily still allowed to accept my place at the Hull York medical school. It's really rare for this to happen!
The UKCAT isn't easy, but as long as you put in plenty of practice you will be fine. I did 1 or 2 hours an evening, for about a month before the test, and got a 695 average score (which if you aren't familiar with it yet, is pretty strong) :smile:

Oh ok thank you, I will do:smile: You were really lucky to get into medicine but well done:h: Thank you for your support and I wish you the best for ur future medical career:smile:

Original post by Ezme39

GCSE heavy med schools include:
- Cardiff (ideally need 7A*+ or amazing work experience)
- Birmingham (need a decent amount of A* in core subjects)
- QUB
- KCL
- St. Andrews
- Oxford
GCSE heavy med schools include:
- Cardiff (ideally need 7A*+ or amazing work experience)
- Birmingham (need a decent amount of A* in core subjects)
- QUB
- KCL
- St. Andrews
- Oxford

Thank you:smile:Hi, if you don't mind what did u get in ur GCSEs and alevels so it can give me some motivation?:h:
Thank you:smile:Hi, if you don't mind what did u get in ur GCSEs and alevels so it can give me some motivation?:h:

I got:
GCSE: 9A* 1.5A (french and RS), 2 distinction* (P.E.) and 1 distinction (ICT).
AS: A biology (97% UMS), A chemistry (83% UMS), A geography (95% UMS) and B maths (74-77% UMS- cannot remember off the top of my head), dropped maths.
A2: A*AA bio, chem and geography respectively.
I got:
GCSE: 9A* 1.5A (french and RS), 2 distinction* (P.E.) and 1 distinction (ICT).
AS: A biology (97% UMS), A chemistry (83% UMS), A geography (95% UMS) and B maths (74-77% UMS- cannot remember off the top of my head), dropped maths.
A2: A*AA bio, chem and geography respectively.

Wow that is so good. I hope I can do as well as you in my alevels.:smile: It's the first day of 6th form for me tomorrow so I am nervous:redface:
Wow that is so good. I hope I can do as well as you in my alevels.:smile: It's the first day of 6th form for me tomorrow so I am nervous:redface:

Well best of luck to you! my advice if try hard, ask for help if you need it (there really is no shame) and keep practicing.

If you ever need any help feel free to ask x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending