The Student Room Group

Hi there can anyone help me with this bearing question?

Hi i have this bearing question i'm doing and the answer is 115 i'll send a picture, so what i've tried doing is thinking the interior angle next to c is 60 because all angles on a line add up to 180 then i took away 60 from 240 to find the exterior angle but then i remembered it's inside of a triangle so so far i've got my answer as 24- for the bearing of c from a
Original post by MahamedAli
Hi i have this bearing question i'm doing and the answer is 115 i'll send a picture, so what i've tried doing is thinking the interior angle next to c is 60 because all angles on a line add up to 180 then i took away 60 from 240 to find the exterior angle but then i remembered it's inside of a triangle so so far i've got my answer as 24- for the bearing of c from a

Your method is a bit too long winded. There is a very easy way to do this. Find the angle at A, add that onto 55. Job done. Can you see why?
As AB and CB are the same the triangle is isocoles, so to find the two bottom angles you do (180-60)/2 which is 60 (it's an equilateral triangle!)
you know the bearing of B from A is 55 so to get the bearing of C from A you do 60 + 55 which is 115
hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Your method is a bit too long winded. There is a very easy way to do this. Find the angle at A, add that onto 55. Job done. Can you see why?

The question doesn't say not to scale so i'm assuming i can just measure? or is there another way to do this? Sorry for the trouble
Original post by jasminglynne
WORKING OUT

Please dont give away answers! It's against the posting rules.
(edited 7 years ago)
The question doesn't say not to scale so i'm assuming i can just measure? or is there another way to do this? Sorry for the trouble

You are told two sides are equal, therefore the angles are A and C must be equal to each other due to your isosceles triangle facts. You know one angle, so you can find the other two as they add up to 180. Once you know all angles it should become obvious as to what type of triangle that is, more so as to what the bearing is of C from A
Reply 6
As AB and CB are the same the triangle is isocoles, so to find the two bottom angles you do (180-60)/2 which is 60 (it's an equilateral triangle!)
you know the bearing of B from A is 55 so to get the bearing of C from A you do 60 + 55 which is 115
hope this helps! :smile:

I know this is a stupid question :s-smilie: but how did you know it was an isoceles? thank you for your answer
Reply 7
You are told two sides are equal, therefore the angles are A and C must be equal to each other due to your isosceles triangle facts. You know one angle, so you can find the other two as they add up to 180. Once you know all angles it should become obvious as to what type of triangle that is, more so as to what the bearing is of C from A

Thank you so much for your help finally got this done.
I know this is a stupid question :s-smilie: but how did you know it was an isoceles? thank you for your answer

It's isosceles because two sides are of equal length (we are told this) and the angle between them is not a right-angle.
Please dont give away answers! It's against the posting rules.

sorry they said what the answer was in their question so I was just trying to show the steps to getting it, I'll try not to next time
sorry they said what the answer was in their question so I was just trying to show the steps to getting it, I'll try not to next time

Just hint them in the right direction, don't do their homework for them.
Reply 11
Just hint them in the right direction, don't do their homework for them.

This isn't my homework i'm just trying to learn bearings for my tests at the end of the year. But you're correct in the fact that you should hint me to the right answer that way i'll remember it better. Thank you.
I can't bear to comprehend how much struggle you're going through

Quick Reply

Latest