The Student Room Group

How to fit in at uni?

So i start at the universoty of cumbria in lancaster in just under 2 weeks and im starting to panic. Iv been added to a grpup chat for my accomedation and all they go on about is getting dunk and going out and im really not into that sort if stuff. Im scared im not going to fit in with anyone and end up with no friwnds and hating every minute of it.
Don't use spelling and grammar like that is probably a start.

Just relax. Not everyone goes out at university. :biggrin:
Original post by Stephie22
So i start at the universoty of cumbria in lancaster in just under 2 weeks and im starting to panic. Iv been added to a grpup chat for my accomedation and all they go on about is getting dunk and going out and im really not into that sort if stuff. Im scared im not going to fit in with anyone and end up with no friends and hating every minute of it.

You certainly don't need to do that just to fit in!
I am really quiet, don't drink, enjoys being with a small group and lives a stress free life. I am going to 2nd year now so I am no longer a fresher. my first year...hated housemates...ate microwave meals because my anxiety was terrible I couldn't go to the kitchen...never did for the rest of the year.

The ones talking are people forcing to find friends. The people who are going to be your friends are staying nice and quiet, anyone on the accommodation chat chatting are literally hoping to be noticed.

everything will work out!
Hope that helps
Don't try to be something you're not
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Don't try to be something you're not

PREACH
Just stay true to who you are, and you'll find friends. Naturally people with similar interests tend to find each other, so don't panic :smile:

Also, I don't drink alcohol but loads of the friends I've made do. Whilst I don't get up to some of the crazy things they do and initially wondered if I'd fit in properly and if they'd accept my decision (particularly on the first two days), I quickly became good friends with them. There were a few people who found it strange that I didn't want to drink, but I realised that if someone doesn't respect your choices, usually they don't make great friends.

And in Fresher's Week we had things like film nights as well as alcohol events and that was a good way for me to meet other non-drinkers. Definitely research what things your university has planned!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Stephie22
So i start at the universoty of cumbria in lancaster in just under 2 weeks and im starting to panic. Iv been added to a grpup chat for my accomedation and all they go on about is getting dunk and going out and im really not into that sort if stuff. Im scared im not going to fit in with anyone and end up with no friwnds and hating every minute of it.

Be your absolute self, at your very best. I'd probably fit in with the people you are on about in that group chat, but if you're friendly and up for conversation, I would still try my best to get to know you, as I would for everyone. Don't worry about it, there will be people in the same situation as you and people who aren't even in that situation will still want to get to know you.

The absolute worst thing you can do is assume you can't get to know someone well because they like (???) and you don't, or vice versa. You're a great person exactly how you are, and if you don't do your best to show that, who will?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending