The Student Room Group

English lit a good third option for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by snikerio
But it's literally not, that's just been explained to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes maths is better everyone knows it
Original post by Evess
yes maths is better everyone knows it

I plan to study maths and further maths, but it's evident that for this individual, and for medicine generally (my sister recently graduated med school), maths is not 'better'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Evess
so?.... you don't need to differentiate or integrate in physics either, but it doesn't mean maths isn't a good subject to have. i dont even know why you are bothering to argue. its clear that maths is the better subject for medicine..............

But it really isnt, did you bother to even read my last reply or not? because if you did you would have realised that maths is not the better subjects AT ALL, end of story.

Subjects which we go over frequently in medicine in terms of content which can be found at Alevel include bio, chem, psychology and sociology. You will need GCSE grade B understanding of physics, maths and english language.

It is people like you who go around spouting incorrect information due to lack of research and lack of knowledge on the subject that cause so much confusion on these forums, please (and I am asking politely) can you leave your opinon on what subject is better for medicine somewhere else, and I dont want anyone else to start panicking about not doing maths because someone who doesn't have much of an idea said so...
Reply 23
Original post by Natalierm2707
But it really isnt, did you bother to even read my last reply or not? because if you did you would have realised that maths is not the better subjects AT ALL, end of story.

Subjects which we go over frequently in medicine in terms of content which can be found at Alevel include bio, chem, psychology and sociology. You will need GCSE grade B understanding of physics, maths and english language.

It is people like you who go around spouting incorrect information due to lack of research and lack of knowledge on the subject that cause so much confusion on these forums, please (and I am asking politely) can you leave your opinon on what subject is better for medicine somewhere else, and I dont want anyone else to start panicking about not doing maths because someone who doesn't have much of an idea said so...

i am very informed, you clearly do not want other people to do medicine that is why you are telling them not to do maths psychology and sociology are mickey mouse and everyone knows you will have a better chance if you take 3 facilitating subjects instead of 2
Original post by Evess
i am very informed, you clearly do not want other people to do medicine that is why you are telling them not to do maths psychology and sociology are mickey mouse and everyone knows you will have a better chance if you take 3 facilitating subjects instead of 2

So your basically saying the hours of sociology and psychology lectures I sit through in medical school are basically pointless because they are easy, psychology and sociology are very respectable, accredited and worthy subjects to take, both of which we require good understanding of to be a good practicing doctor, we dont just stand there on the wards spouting the TCA cycle you know...

how are you informed? if you were you wouldnt be saying any of this, instead you would be telling the OP that for medicine all bio, chem and a further subject at grades AAA at A2 are required, instead of rolling off all this rubbish about maths.

And, before you insult me and tell me I dont want anyone else to go into medicine, why do you think I spend hours upon hours answering countless inboxes, replying to confused applicants on threads and writing a blog about admissions to help people get into medical school. I spend a lot of my spare time advising others and using my comprehensive knowledge of the admissions system which I have gathered over the years and through hours of research, to ensure people make the right decisions and get into med school first time. Honestly how dare you.

Please go take your opinion somewhere else, if it isnt informative then just dont say it, people dont need your opinion to get by, and OP will happily get into medical school and pass with hard work an their A/A* at A2 english!
Original post by Evess
pleas stop being so hostile to me it is clear you do not know anything you are just acting on emotions and tyring to get people to fail.... i am just sharing my opinion gosh stop being so rude

yea thats of course why I spend hours on end answering messages to applicants who are confused and unsure of what to do, I did the same last year, I work at uni open days to help inform people about what they need to get in and how best to stand out, and I do it all because I care and dont want people to make the same mistakes I did when applying, and I really do want people to succeed in gaining entry to medicine first time. You really are just picking at straws now.

If you want to reply and talk about this further PM me, but honestly I dont see your problem, just accept maths is no better than english lit for medicine and move on.
Reply 26
I plan on studying medicine too and I'll be doing Biology, Chem and English Lit at A2 :biggrin: I plan on dropping maths this year at the end of AS
Reply 27
yea thats of course why I spend hours on end answering messages to applicants who are confused and unsure of what to do, I did the same last year, I work at uni open days to help inform people about what they need to get in and how best to stand out, and I do it all because I care and dont want people to make the same mistakes I did when applying, and I really do want people to succeed in gaining entry to medicine first time. You really are just picking at straws now.

If you want to reply and talk about this further PM me, but honestly I dont see your problem, just accept maths is no better than english lit for medicine and move on.

i am being personally victimised and picked on by you STOP now, maths is BETTER
Original post by Evess
pleas stop being so hostile to me it is clear you do not know anything you are just acting on emotions and tyring to get people to fail.... i am just sharing my opinion gosh stop being so rude

got2love when someone knows they're wrong so they repeat the same phrase and claim you shouldn't challenge them because 'it's their opinion'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Arfaa
I plan on studying medicine too and I'll be doing Biology, Chem and English Lit at A2 :biggrin: I plan on dropping maths this year at the end of AS

you will not get an offer then
Original post by Arfaa

Hope its going very well for you!
Reply 31
Original post by Evess
so?.... you don't need to differentiate or integrate in physics either, but it doesn't mean maths isn't a good subject to have. i dont even know why you are bothering to argue. its clear that maths is the better subject for medicine..............

Wat

Been dating a physicist for 3 years and I can tell you that all he does is integrate complicated equations all day long. Stop talking out your arse mate
Reply 32
Original post by Evess
you will not get an offer then

Lol I know someone doing the same thing and got in at UCL so
Reply 33
Original post by Arfaa
Lol I know someone doing the same thing and got in at UCL so

UCL is liberal leftist university so obviously they would
Original post by snikerio
got2love when someone knows they're wrong so they repeat the same phrase and claim you shouldn't challenge them because 'it's their opinion'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it. It is people like said poster mentioned that cause confusion among applicants about maths and medicine, I get so many messages with people worrying about maths and med and that they will never get in because they dont want to do maths, and when I ask why they think that it is because of misinformed friends, family, teachers and posters on the internet, often people just assume maths is needed which is fine, but it causes so much madness.

Fact trumps opinon here, and lets be honest if you followed said posters advice and were not as strong at maths like OP and ended up with AAB because of maths instead of the AAA you would have got with english language, your chance of med become much slimmer.
One of my Y13 tutees starts her medicine course in a couple of weeks. She did chem, bio and Eng. lit for A2. Her AS was maths.
Reply 36
Tell me about it. It is people like said poster mentioned that cause confusion among applicants about maths and medicine, I get so many messages with people worrying about maths and med and that they will never get in because they dont want to do maths, and when I ask why they think that it is because of misinformed friends, family, teachers and posters on the internet, often people just assume maths is needed which is fine, but it causes so much madness.

Fact trumps opinon here, and lets be honest if you followed said posters advice and were not as strong at maths like OP and ended up with AAB because of maths instead of the AAA you would have got with english language, your chance of med become much slimmer.

yes OBVIOUSLY but if you get AAA including maths you will get in easier compared to someone with english stop bullying you are RUDE i am only 12

exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Evess
yes OBVIOUSLY but if you get AAA including maths you will get in easier compared to someone with english stop bullying you are RUDE i am only 12

I am not at all bullying you, just trying to make you see that your opinion on maths being "better" for medicine is not helping anyone here, facts from admissions policies and university admissions tutors speak for themselves, and honestly getting AAA with maths will not give you any advantage over AAA with english lit, the only place that would discriminate this way is one college at cambridge university which required maths, everywhere else dont mind at all, instead of using maths to discriminate they use interviews, so people who score higher get the offers regardless of their third subject, and the fact that people take maths over another subject really doesnt give them any advantage.

This information is also great for you to take in, admissions policies can be very complicated and if you are going to give advice on these forums to people for medicine its nice to know what admissions tutors do and dont do and what admissions policies do and dont say. Misinforming people just causes confusion and can lead to people applying to the wrong places or making decisions which are not in their best interests. Hope you understand that x
Reply 39
I am not at all bullying you, just trying to make you see that your opinion on maths being "better" for medicine is not helping anyone here, facts from admissions policies and university admissions tutors speak for themselves, and honestly getting AAA with maths will not give you any advantage over AAA with english lit, the only place that would discriminate this way is one college at cambridge university which required maths, everywhere else dont mind at all, instead of using maths to discriminate they use interviews, so people who score higher get the offers regardless of their third subject, and the fact that people take maths over another subject really doesnt give them any advantage.

This information is also great for you to take in, admissions policies can be very complicated and if you are going to give advice on these forums to people for medicine its nice to know what admissions tutors do and dont do and what admissions policies do and dont say. Misinforming people just causes confusion and can lead to people applying to the wrong places or making decisions which are not in their best interests. Hope you understand that x

ok i am sorry i did not want to ruin anyones chances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending