The Student Room Group

Psychology - how hard is it to get in?

I am yet to start an undergraduate degree for Psychology but I think that I want to actually get into a career involving Psychology. For instance, doing something like counselling or psychotherapy.

Going to study at Warwick. 5 A*'s and 6 A's for GCSE's, A's in A level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and A in AS maths. Work experience in primary school and a place helping people with learning disabilities and a food bank dealing with vulnerable people in the society.

How hard is it? What will i have to do in terms of work experience and is this a realistic dream?
Reply 1
Original post by Linda*
I am yet to start an undergraduate degree for Psychology but I think that I want to actually get into a career involving Psychology. For instance, doing something like counselling or psychotherapy.

Going to study at Warwick. 5 A*'s and 6 A's for GCSE's, A's in A level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and A in AS maths. Work experience in primary school and a place helping people with learning disabilities and a food bank dealing with vulnerable people in the society.

How hard is it? What will i have to do in terms of work experience and is this a realistic dream?

Put simply: with those grades and that work experience with a solid personal statement, you should be more than okay :smile:
Original post by Linda*

I studied Psychology at university and graduated with a 1st.

This may sound like an odd question, but does your course include an optional sandwich placement year? This is proving to be a popular option for many considering psychology as a long-term career path. I actually did my degree at Plymouth University and a lot of my friends who have done placements whilst completing their degree (I didn't do a placement) said it was an excellent stepping stone into the industry. Some were in HR, others in Clinical Psychology, others Educational, and so on. It's worth considering whether the university offers this.

Quick Reply

Latest