The Student Room Group

V. Low UKCAT Score- Which med schools should I apply to?

Hey!

I recently did my UKCAT and got an average score of 556, Band 1 in SJT. I know this is very low. With GCSEs, I got 9A*s and 3As and am predicted A*AA for my A2 results next year. Which med schools will pay more attention to GCSE/Predicted A2 Grades/Personal Statement/ Interview than my UKCAT score?
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by confused1799
Hey!

I recently did my UKCAT and got an average score of 556, Band 1 in SJT. I know this is very low. With GCSEs, I got 9A*s and 3As and am predicted A*AA for my A2 results next year. Which med schools will pay more attention to GCSE/Predicted A2 Grades/Personal Statement/ Interview than my UKCAT score?

Cardiff! They only look at the UKCAT in a tie break situation. They are more GCSE heavy, but you'll be fine because you have 9 A*s and 3As!! Well done!

Other than that, you should definitely consider doing the BMAT :smile:

Good luck with your application!

The Medic Portal
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I will definitely be applying there :smile: Would you say 3 BMAT and 1 UKCAT is too risky or should just go for it?
Thank you so much! I will definitely be applying there :smile: Would you say 3 BMAT and 1 UKCAT is too risky or should just go for it?

Hmm that's a bit risky. Maybe try two of each. Have you checked out this blog advising on where to apply with a low UKCAT score?

And good luck with your BMAT revision! Definitely get started on your revision now in order to ensure you get a good score :smile:

The Medic Portal
Reply 4
I'd also recommend Bristol since only 10% of their weighting is on ukcat, 20% on academics and then 70% on personal statement so if your ps is good definitely apply there
Reply 5
What do you think of Birmingham?
What do you think of Birmingham?

Well, as we mentioned in our blog (linked above, but here it is again in case you missed it: where to apply with a low UKCAT score), Birmingham only attribute 30% of the selection process to UKCAT.

The other 70% is based around GCSEs. So if you've got a great set then you could definitely apply here.

Together, your GCSEs and UKCAT give you a score out of 10. Last year, the threshold to interview was 6.17.

Hope you find the above useful,

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Well, as we mentioned in our blog (linked above, but here it is again in case you missed it: where to apply with a low UKCAT score), Birmingham only attribute 30% of the selection process to UKCAT.

The other 70% is based around GCSEs. So if you've got a great set then you could definitely apply here.

Together, your GCSEs and UKCAT give you a score out of 10. Last year, the threshold to interview was 6.17.

The Medic Portal

Hi
My ukcat score was also low 620 sjt-band 1
Stats- 6A*5A
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A* and an A* in EPQ
Where do you reccomend I apply?
Thanks!
Original post by tangled23
Hi
My ukcat score was also low 620 sjt-band 1
Stats- 6A*5A
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A* and an A* in EPQ
Where do you reccomend I apply?
Thanks!

Hey there,

Great grades!
Have you checked out the blog we linked in the post above? The one you replied to?

It has a list of five unis you are eligible for! Definitely check them out and consider applying to them.

We're also releasing a blog on wednesday called "where to apply with a 600-650 UKCAT", so watch our blogs page!

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal

The Medic Portal

How is this score given? I have 7A*s and 3As and a 610 UKCAT.
Hi,
I'm really starting to panic on where I should apply to, I got quite low in my UKCAT (630 average total 1900) and my GCSE's are weak too (7 A's 3 B's) and my predicted grades are either AAA/A*AA, and I received a D2 for the Cambridge pre U qualification ( equivalent to A*)
I have my heart set on medicine, i don't mind where i go but i just need a medical school.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Original post by yas_barber
Hi,
I'm really starting to panic on where I should apply to, I got quite low in my UKCAT (630 average total 1900) and my GCSE's are weak too (7 A's 3 B's) and my predicted grades are either AAA/A*AA, and I received a D2 for the Cambridge pre U qualification ( equivalent to A*)
I have my heart set on medicine, i don't mind where i go but i just need a medical school.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Bristol and maybe Keele if you can get the A*AA predictions. But you need to take the BMAT and try for some of those uni's
Hey!

I had a poor ukcat but applied to Cardiff and QUB (Definitely consider QUB as they use GCSEs and add on a small points to your gcse score from your ukcat).
Trust me Cardiff don't really use the ukcat. Applying to 3 BMATs is very risky as the test is horrible and way worse than the ukcat imo. I applied to 3BMAT places in my 1st cycle and needless to say I got 4 rejections very quickly.
Original post by aspiringmedic178
How is this score given? I have 7A*s and 3As and a 610 UKCAT.

There is a scaling tool they use that accounts for which GCSEs you scored what grade in, and your UKCAT score (based on the total score when adding together VR, QR and AR).
I have a total score of 1750 and Band 1 in the Situational Judgment section. Predicted A*AA and had 2A*5A 1B in my o levels. Where should I apply for medicine where I can definitely get in. University Of Keele or HYSM (hull york school of medicine)??
I have a great PS and reference as well as extra curricular activities.
Original post by ZainabBaber
I have a total score of 1750 and Band 1 in the Situational Judgment section. Predicted A*AA and had 2A*5A 1B in my o levels. Where should I apply for medicine where I can definitely get in. University Of Keele or HYSM (hull york school of medicine)??
I have a great PS and reference as well as extra curricular activities.

You'll probably need to take the BMAT to stand a chance at 4 uni's

Quick Reply

Latest