The Student Room Group

Is Turkey going to Annex Northern Syria?

The Turkish government in recent weeks has been invading Northern Syria and shelling and bombing Kurdish towns with airstrikes. The US has quit support for the Kurdish forces who were fighting ISIS and forced them to retreat back over the Euphrates.

There are now Turkish forces deep inside Rojava Syria who have support of the US and Barzani leader of Iraqi Kurdistan who is a strong supporter of Turkey.

Is it the intention of Turkey to assimilate these lands of Rojava into its Turkey and help re- open supply route for ISIS and the rebels?

Is Turkey really moving its border further south?

Surely this is an illegal invasion, but they get away with it because the US doesn't like Assad.
Original post by Ambitious1999
The Turkish government in recent weeks has been invading Northern Syria and shelling and bombing Kurdish towns with airstrikes. The US has quit support for the Kurdish forces who were fighting ISIS and forced them to retreat back over the Euphrates.

There are now Turkish forces deep inside Rojava Syria who have support of the US and Barzani leader of Iraqi Kurdistan who is a strong supporter of Turkey.

Is it the intention of Turkey to assimilate these lands of Rojava into its Turkey and help re- open supply route for ISIS and the rebels?

Is Turkey really moving its border further south?

Surely this is an illegal invasion, but they get away with it because the US doesn't like Assad.

Its funny, when a country like the US invades Iraq, Libya and Afganistan nobody mentions the words "takeover" or "control". But as soon as a country seen with contempt amongst Western Nations decides to protect its national interest i.e. protecting its citizens from across-border attacks, its considered "unlawful territorial gain". Political correctness at its best. :biggrin:

My answer to your question: Highly unlikely it will annex a part of Syria.
Reply 2
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
Its funny, when a country like the US invades Iraq, Libya and Afganistan nobody mentions the words "takeover" or "control". But as soon as a country seen with contempt amongst Western Nations decides to protect its national interest i.e. protecting its citizens from across-border attacks, its considered "unlawful territorial gain". Political correctness at its best. :biggrin:

My answer to your question: Highly unlikely it will annex a part of Syria.

I think it is called “unlawful territorial gain” if its conducted by a corrupt “leader” who once upon a time was considering to bombard his own people to make excuse to start a war and invade Syria due to his personal dislike of Syrian leader. It is impossible to bring peace to Syria with such people who have wrong, Islamic, dogmatic and delusional ideology who couldn’t manage to bring peace to his own country as journalists are constantly being prosecuted by the orders given by this “leader” who is also being saluted by the judges (even from constitutional high courts) by standing up and tilting their head forward to show him how grateful he is compared to the laws with which “peace” is maintained.
Original post by Merdan
I think it is called “unlawful territorial gain” if its conducted by a corrupt “leader” who once upon a time was considering to bombard his own people to make excuse to start a war and invade Syria due to his personal dislike of Syrian leader. It is impossible to bring peace to Syria with such people who have wrong, Islamic, dogmatic and delusional ideology who couldn’t manage to bring peace to his own country as journalists are constantly being prosecuted by the orders given by this “leader” who is also being saluted by the judges (even from constitutional high courts) by standing up and tilting their head forward to show him how grateful he is compared to the laws with which “peace” is maintained.

Funny how you mention "considering", which means he clearly didn't go through with it. Also provides sources as it would make your argument look more credible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending