The Student Room Group

Cannot sleep!

I have just stopped taking antidepressants after 3-4 years and I cannot sleep. It is upsetting and stressing me to the point of tears. Can someone please help??
I wish I could help but I'm in the same position. I'm sorry 🙁 hope you're okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hambi123
I wish I could help but I'm in the same position. I'm sorry 🙁 hope you're okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sucks like hell, doesn't it? Hopefully after a few weeks we'll both be okay! Are you getting any other side effects? I have terrible headaches, I'm really dizzy and so anxious all the time😔 Might have to just go back to my GP
Reply 3
I cant sleep either, but in fairness, IT'S BOILING! (in uk)
Reply 4
Original post by panic!intheexam
I have just stopped taking antidepressants after 3-4 years and I cannot sleep. It is upsetting and stressing me to the point of tears. Can someone please help??

Hi,

Did you consult your doctor before coming off anti-depressants? It can be really dangerous to just stop taking SSRIs suddenly.

If you did consult your doctor then I would go back to them and explain your issue with sleep deprivation. If you didn't consult them then you may want to do so. It may be the case that you have come off them a little too quickly despite consultation, and some people can require 2 or 3 attempts of coming off SSRIs before it can be asymptomatic.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by L33t
Hi,

Did you consult your doctor before coming off anti-depressants? It can be really dangerous to just stop taking SSRIs suddenly.

If you did consult your doctor then I would go back to them and explain your issue with sleep deprivation. If you didn't consult them then you may want to do so. It may be the case that you have come off them a little too quickly despite consultation, and some people can require 2 or 3 attempts of coming off SSRIs before it can be asymptomatic.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks for your reply- yeah, I did talk to my GP, who told me not to expect any side effects! I am going to give it another week or so, then maybe go back if I'm not any better
Reply 6
Original post by panic!intheexam
Thanks for your reply- yeah, I did talk to my GP, who told me not to expect any side effects! I am going to give it another week or so, then maybe go back if I'm not any better

That's worrying. Most antidepressants are SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) which are essentially addictive, you should be weaned off them slowly and gradually in order to prevent the symptoms you are describing. This can depend on your dose but given that you seem to have been on them for a while it sounds as though you are experiencing mild antidepressant withdrawal.

They should have reduced your dose slowly over time (many weeks or months) to avoid these symptoms.

Definitely go back and speak to them- you don't have to suffer with this :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you, there isn't a day where I go to sleep feeling okay. I'm just always so depressed but I'm always so good at hiding it that none of my friends/family know what I'm going through. When I do talk to someone it's always "you're going through a phase" and it sucks because they haven't been through what we're going through. It really does suck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just got migraines, I feel faint and I feel sick, I just have this feeling like something is crawling up my skin and I've never seen a doctor before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SackSly
I cant sleep either, but in fairness, IT'S BOILING! (in uk)

Lies, you've been playing dota with us for the past 4 hours :laugh:

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Lies, you've been playing dota with us for the past 4 hours :laugh:

Spoiler

EXPOSED

Quick Reply

Latest