The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atom y humber
Never said he was a winger but don't worry. His role could be back up to griezmann, alternative to girioud.......again let's move on.

If you're worth over 50m, Gignac doesn't get picked over you even if he has nudes of Deschamps. How about this Deschamps didn't pick him cos he ain't that good? Ain't more complicated than that. He's still not playing. Ill be surprised if he ever gets more than 30 caps for France. Too many talents coming through.

His finishing is susceptible because he barely scores enough from open play. 15 is most his achieved which is barely an improvement on giroud. Hence why his european record is nothing. It's PL he isn't going to be going against guigamp, lorient, toulose, Caen, nancies, Evian water........those are in league 1 or whatever nationalistic name they call that league.

Many players, applying context, have a better record than him went for penance compared to what their chairman wants. There's a reason Chelsea signed batman.

Montreal ain't good enough? The guy and kos just got us a clean sheet...........You're a FIFA pace whore aren't you.

Lacazette scored 21 goals last season, 27 the season before and 15 the season before that. And yeah, Lacazette doesnt score much from open play, he only scored 2 penalties last season???

So Messi is **** because he scores against teams like deportivo, gijon, osasuna, betis..... You still have to score them, it doesnt matter who its against!! For other countries like France they would be thinking, Aguero scores against teams like Hull, Burnley, Crystal Palace...

I don't play fifa and even if I did, wouldn't I prefer Gibbs since he's all pace but I'm saying we need a new left back, Monreal got absolutely destroyed against Liverpool and are you talking about the clean sheet we didnt get against Watford?????????
Reply 121
Kanu's heading 😍
First page of this thread (like the rest of it presumably will be) is pure noncery. Can't take the banter anymore?
Original post by timster32
Lacazette scored 21 goals last season, 27 the season before and 15 the season before that. And yeah, Lacazette doesnt score much from open play, he only scored 2 penalties last season???

So Messi is **** because he scores against teams like deportivo, gijon, osasuna, betis..... You still have to score them, it doesnt matter who its against!! For other countries like France they would be thinking, Aguero scores against teams like Hull, Burnley, Crystal Palace...

I don't play fifa and even if I did, wouldn't I prefer Gibbs since he's all pace but I'm saying we need a new left back, Monreal got absolutely destroyed against Liverpool and are you talking about the clean sheet we didnt get against Watford?????????

OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN play

Nah messi is proven at all levels. Lacazette is proven in one significantly significant inferior level. Are you actually trying to compare la liga teams with Ligue 1 teams and PL teams. Deportivo.....at worst are equivalent to you bottom middle tier pl clubs.

Nah got that Leicester clean sheet son.
New thread? Damn. In.
Basically I think we should play this formation against the big sides:

-------------------- Cech ----------------------
- Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal

---------- Elneny - Xhaka - Coquelin--------

--------------------- Ozil ------------------------

-------------- Perez - Giroud -----------------

With this formation we can probably experiment with Ramsey in place of Coquelin or Elneny, all depends on his capacity to track back though.
Reply 126
Original post by James.Carnell

With this formation we can probably experiment with Ramsey in place of Coquelin or Elneny, all depends on his capacity to track back though.

We have enough balance to start a normal 4-2-3-1, but the good thing is we can go into that when we're trying to close down a game.

Wenger doesn't change formations too often so that's likely what will happen imo
Original post by SA-1
We have enough balance to start a normal 4-2-3-1, but the good thing is we can go into that when we're trying to close down a game.

Wenger doesn't change formations too often so that's likely what will happen imo

A back 7 :sexface:
Lord Bendtner could knock us out of the EFL Cup. :colonhash:
For me, Welbeck would be an automatic starter on the wing ahead of Ox and Walcott.
International breaks are so boring man. Happy the Arsenal are back again this weekend, and will immediately wish it was still the international break after we draw 0-0 with Southampton despite having 20+ shots.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Reply 131
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
International breaks are so boring man. Happy the Arsenal are back again this weekend, and will immediately wish it was still the international break after we draw 0-0 with Southampton despite having 20+ shots.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Perez to score 7 fam, Ozil to get all assists
Original post by SA-1
Perez to score 7 fam, Ozil to get all assists

Quite excited to see how he'll do. Hopefully he'll get off the mark early doors so the mongs in our fanbase don't get on his back.
Puel used to play under Wenger, and last I checked, Wenger has yet to lose to people who played under him
For me, Welbeck would be an automatic starter on the wing ahead of Ox and Walcott.

Could you not put Santi on the wing with Xhaka sat deep
Original post by Diego Costa
Could you not put Santi on the wing with Xhaka sat deep

I liked Welbeck's performances for Utd in the big games. Essentially Welbeck played Park Ji Sung mk.2 and he was fantastic for Utd.

Am I the only one who noticed that you left out arguably our best player out of your team, Alexis Sanchez?
Original post by Vividly clear
Am I the only one who noticed that you left out arguably our best player out of your team, Alexis Sanchez?

Yeah, that is right. Obviously Wenger would never drop him for a big game, but I see it as tactically perhaps not a dumb thing to do if we are going to park the bus and need an outlet up top in Giroud.

If we were to fit Sanchez into the side and make a more attacking formation, I would basically put Welbeck in either Elneny or Coquelin's position, giving him more tactical freedom than Xhaka and the other DM. Then I would take Giroud out and put Alexis Sanchez up top with Lucas Perez. We would lose a little aerial presence however that is not a pre-requisite to a strong attacking team.

So with Welbeck in this formation, we would be alternating between a 4-3-1-2 and a 4-2-1-3 depending on the momentum of the game. Hence why I rate Welbeck so highly. He can play on the wing, he can man mark, he can play up top, he can score from headers in big games and has a good aerial ability (last season vs Leicester, CL with Man Utd vs Real Madrid).
He was second highest goalscorer for England in Euro qualifying too so he would be sufficient as a goalscorer but obviously not as a main goalscorer. Basically, I think we should change the guy's position and give him a utility role in big games. I love Danny Welbeck, big loss of a key team player.

---------- Elneny - Xhaka - Welbeck--------

-------------- Perez - Alexis -----------------

(When attacking, Welbeck moves into CF position or alternates into the attacking wing position to support Perez's central runs)
(edited 7 years ago)
Fwiw , with that formation, if Mustafi wants to play an early out ball to the wing in an attacking transition, Welbeck would need to be in his attacking wing position. Otherwise Ozil, Perez and Alexis are pretty isolated and outnumbered by big PL defenders.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/sep/08/bext-xi-united-city-manchester-derby

And people complain about our squad. That defence is as legit as desiigner.

Quick Reply

Latest