The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MCPClark
Hi, thank you for your earlier response!

I also wanted to ask more about personal statements for joint honours subjects (I am considering Classics with Oriental Studies). How is it best to structure the personal statement to suit two subjects rather than one; is it more advised to link them together throughout or discuss them separately. Moreover, what is seen as better in a statement; more analysis of books you have read or more arbitrary points on why you love the subject?

Many thanks for all of your help!

Hi there,

I actually studied Classics & English at LMH so have first hand experience of applying for a Classics joint school course!

The most important element of a joint school application is how you connect your subjects: you should try to express how you feel they link together (unlike many other universities, when Oxford offers joint honours the two subjects are never left as separate entities) and what you find most intellectually stimulating/exciting about studying the two simultaneously. You definitely should never put "arbitrary" points in a personal statement for any subject, but equally, there is very limited room to make any detailed analysis of things you have read. My biggest pieces of advice have to be applied to your own unique talents, interests, and ambitions (which only you can identify!):

1. Back up every statement you make - what exactly makes you so interested in what is a very niche combination of subjects?

2. Be honest and don't try to appear "impressive" for the sake of the application. It's better to speak about a book you understand well rather than one you haven't read (or have barely read!) but feel looks "better" to an admissions tutor. Remember: there is no expectation for you to have read anything in particular - anything which you have read, watched, or experienced is a bonus, but only if you have interesting and well considered opinions on them! (Remember that anything in your personal statement is fair game for potential interview questions)

3. Too much unsubstantiated enthusiasm for the subject won't represent you well in an application; but neither will a personal statement full of dry, academic statements. The ideal is a balance of both (and in your case, both subjects).

Glad you're finding this thread useful! Best of luck with your application and don't hesitate if you have any more questions,

India
Hi there,

You are correct - Medicine is a very competitive course, and particularly so here at Oxford. The Medicine admissions webpage suggests that around 80% of their successful applicants have 8 or more A* at GCSE (although it does also say that some successful applicants have fewer than this), and admissions tutors will often implicate strict cut off points at the early stages of the application process due to the sheer volume of applicants. I will link to this page and its FAQ section which I am sure you will find useful:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs

It is also worth considering that you would also have to reach the minimum standard required in the BMAT admissions test (this is also detailed in the above link). Your GCSE results are strong, and your A Level choices include compulsory science subjects for medicine; it would have to be a personal decision for you to decide to apply for something as highly competitive as Medicine at Oxford. Only an admissions tutor viewing your full application would be able to tell you whether or not you would receive an offer or even an interview, but you are correct that GCSE results are a key factor in how they make their decisions.

Wishing you all the best with your decision & your future applications!India
Hi, and thank you for running this thread - it's really helpful.
My son is hoping to apply for Engineering Science for entry in 2017, having obtained his A levels this year - A*A*A*A - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. We are attending the open day next week and have read about the test prior to interview but were wondering if there is any specific advice/tips you can offer? Is there any specific advice regarding preparation for the test?
During his gap year he is in employment in an Engineering company, relevant to his future degree. He also did work experience in the summer he took AS exams. Previous academic performance is 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, AAAA at AS.
Any tips/advice information about applying/which colleges/personal statement etc would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, is there a rough score in the TSA that means you are likely to be interviewed for PPE?

Would, for example, a score of 63 in the TSA mean you could get an interview?
(My grades are very good by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Hi LMH, I've sent you a private message. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Mumofboys
Hi, and thank you for running this thread - it's really helpful.
My son is hoping to apply for Engineering Science for entry in 2017, having obtained his A levels this year - A*A*A*A - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. We are attending the open day next week and have read about the test prior to interview but were wondering if there is any specific advice/tips you can offer? Is there any specific advice regarding preparation for the test?
During his gap year he is in employment in an Engineering company, relevant to his future degree. He also did work experience in the summer he took AS exams. Previous academic performance is 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, AAAA at AS.
Any tips/advice information about applying/which colleges/personal statement etc would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Since you are coming to the upcoming open day, I think the best way for your son to have all of his questions answered (and then some!) is to attend both the events run by the Engineering faculty and also our "Meet the Tutors" session at LMH. Full information on our programme is available here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Admissions/Undergraduates/Open-days.aspx

Our friendly team of student ambassadors are also always keen to match up prospective students with current undergraduates studying their subject, either for a tour of the college or an informal chat. We even have a shuttle bus to and from town (and are conveniently placed for the Engineering faculty) so LMH would be the perfect place for you to visit... although of course, we're a bit biased when it comes to colleges ;-) (Disclaimer: it's really important that your son chooses a college he likes and can see himself being a part of for four years - that's the most important factor, as much as we think everyone should apply to LMH!)

If you find that you still have unanswered questions after your visit to the Open Day then please don't hesitate to ask them here - it's just a great time of year to get in some face to face Q&As with lots of different students.

India
Hi

How important is it as a post A2 candidate to have an A* in the subject you're applying for ( in particular things like English/ History/ ML) ? I know it's not strictly required, but I don't think it helps my chances. I averaged an A overall in English but my UMS % was really high, like 100s and high 90s in my other modules. But there's this rule where you need to average 90% in the A2 units and I got a B in one of my exams and missed the A* ( I was doing really well throughout the year). I'm resitting it for personal satisfaction and I feel I owe it to my other modules. Looking at it now I can't see it as anything other than a bad day in the exam hall, the mark was way WAY below my usual standard. How can I show the tutors this and heal the damage this has caused ? Would it be worth mentioning my UMS scores in the reference?
Original post by OriginalLifelin
Hi

How important is it as a post A2 candidate to have an A* in the subject you're applying for ( in particular things like English/ History/ ML) ? I know it's not strictly required, but I don't think it helps my chances. I averaged an A overall in English but my UMS % was really high, like 100s and high 90s in my other modules. But there's this rule where you need to average 90% in the A2 units and I got a B in one of my exams and missed the A* ( I was doing really well throughout the year). I'm resitting it for personal satisfaction and I feel I owe it to my other modules. Looking at it now I can't see it as anything other than a bad day in the exam hall, the mark was way WAY below my usual standard. How can I show the tutors this and heal the damage this has caused ? Would it be worth mentioning my UMS scores in the reference?

Hi there,

Firstly, I should say that I studied Classics & English, so have a lot of experience of the admissions process for English - and when I did my A-Levels, I was annoyed at not getting an A* in English Lit too...

If a subject has an AAA offer, as all Arts subjects do at Oxford, then it will not count against you if you don't have higher than an A. Oxford differs from Cambridge in that it acknowledges that A*s in more subjectively marked subjects (such as English) are not necessarily going to be awarded without fail to candidates who would be their first pick after interviews or admissions tests.

You are welcome to put UMS scores on your UCAS application, but Oxford does not ask for these, nor puts any particular weight on them (again, this is another way we differ from Cambridge).

Obviously, it is your personal choice to resit the exam, but unless you are applying to other universities which do require you to have an A* in English, you may be putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. The Oxford admissions process is designed to recognise potential and skills which are not necessarily tested by A-Level exams, and often go above and beyond their mark-scheme orientated approach. Perhaps you'd be better placed exploring more areas of literature (A-Level English Lit is quite limiting, right?) and/or criticism, which would enable you to have a more unique, interesting and intellectual personal statement, and plenty to talk about in an interview.

Your A grade will not do you a disservice if you are applying for English post A-Level (and will match hundreds of successful candidates' results); since it would be enough to secure you an unconditional offer, the university is unlikely to take much notice of it potentially going up to an A*. In their eyes, you've already done enough - our admissions tutors would much rather see some more unique evidence for your love of the subject which is not limited by an exam mark scheme.

Hope this helps - and well done on your A-Level results!India
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hi there,

Firstly, I should say that I studied Classics & English, so have a lot of experience of the admissions process for English - and when I did my A-Levels, I was annoyed at not getting an A* in English Lit too...

If a subject has an AAA offer, as all Arts subjects do at Oxford, then it will not count against you if you don't have higher than an A. Oxford differs from Cambridge in that it acknowledges that A*s in more subjectively marked subjects (such as English) are not necessarily going to be awarded without fail to candidates who would be their first pick after interviews or admissions tests.

You are welcome to put UMS scores on your UCAS application, but Oxford does not ask for these, nor puts any particular weight on them (again, this is another way we differ from Cambridge).

Obviously, it is your personal choice to resit the exam, but unless you are applying to other universities which do require you to have an A* in English, you may be putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. The Oxford admissions process is designed to recognise potential and skills which are not necessarily tested by A-Level exams, and often go above and beyond their mark-scheme orientated approach. Perhaps you'd be better placed exploring more areas of literature (A-Level English Lit is quite limiting, right?) and/or criticism, which would enable you to have a more unique, interesting and intellectual personal statement, and plenty to talk about in an interview.

Your A grade will not do you a disservice if you are applying for English post A-Level (and will match hundreds of successful candidates' results); since it would be enough to secure you an unconditional offer, the university is unlikely to take much notice of it potentially going up to an A*. In their eyes, you've already done enough - our admissions tutors would much rather see some more unique evidence for your love of the subject which is not limited by an exam mark scheme.

Hope this helps - and well done on your A-Level results!India

Thank you India! You're right, grades are a crude measure of ability especially at A Level
Hi everyone, glad you're continuing to find this thread useful!

With the Oxford application deadline coming up in just over a month, there couldn't be a better time to ask us your questions. Next week, Oxford is hosting the last of its university-wide open days for 2016 - and if there's anything better than asking us your questions here, it's coming to LMH yourself and asking them in person to our current students, tutors and access team! Our two June open days were the best and busiest we've ever had - have a look at the link below for our programme, to book a place (although you can drop in if you'd prefer), and to make 16th September even bigger!

PS LMH is getting ready to welcome the first cohort of Foundation Year students, ahead of our big intake of new degree freshers in October. You can read more in our principal, Alan Rusbridger's blog here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Academic-community/The-Principal/Hell-s-Passage/September-2016/Lady-Margaret-Hall-first-Foundation-Year-nearly.aspx

Hope you're having a great week!

India
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone, glad you're continuing to find this thread useful!

With the Oxford application deadline coming up in just over a month, there couldn't be a better time to ask us your questions. Next week, Oxford is hosting the last of its university-wide open days for 2016 - and if there's anything better than asking us your questions here, it's coming to LMH yourself and asking them in person to our current students, tutors and access team! Our two June open days were the best and busiest we've ever had - have a look at the link below for our programme, to book a place (although you can drop in if you'd prefer), and to make 16th September even bigger!

PS LMH is getting ready to welcome the first cohort of Foundation Year students, ahead of our big intake of new degree freshers in October. You can read more in our principal, Alan Rusbridger's blog here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Academic-community/The-Principal/Hell-s-Passage/September-2016/Lady-Margaret-Hall-first-Foundation-Year-nearly.aspx

Hope you're having a great week!

India

Hi, do you know what sort of score is needed in the TSA to get an interview for PPE at LMH?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Hi, do you know what sort of score is needed in the TSA to get an interview for PPE at LMH?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Don,

We haven't been ignoring your question, we're just waiting for one of our PPE tutors to get back to us to confirm the answer - if there is a straightforward one, that is! (Admissions test scores are only one part of an applicants' profiles, and average scores move up and down each year so there may not be a set number to aim for.)

Speak to you soon,

India
Hi Don,

We haven't been ignoring your question, we're just waiting for one of our PPE tutors to get back to us to confirm the answer - if there is a straightforward one, that is! (Admissions test scores are only one part of an applicants' profiles, and average scores move up and down each year so there may not be a set number to aim for.)

Speak to you soon,

India

Haha thank you I was beginning to get worried 😂

Thank you for taking the time to find this out!

Don

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I'm looking to apply for medicine and I had been thinking a lot about whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge! I do like both of the courses but I do prefer the location and atmosphere at Oxford. I've been thinking Cambridge for a while now because I was a bit worried my GCSEs wouldn't be seen as 'competitive' enough for Oxford standards! I achieved 10 A*s and 2As and I suppose my number of A*s is relatively good but the proportion seems below average for Oxford. I haven't had a chance to ask anyone at Oxford about my GCSEs so any help would be really useful! I haven't received my A level predictions yet but my other stats are 2As in Geography and Maths AS level. Thank you for any help in advance! :smile:
Firstly, I have visited Lady Margaret Hall on a couple of occasions, as I do live in Oxford. Thus, I am keen to appl to your particular college. My question, however is:

I want to apply for biology related course (medicine,biomedical biological sciences) at oxford or PPE.
Since biological sciences and biochemistry don't have an admission test, surely they would expect applicant to do well in their GCSEs, since they wont have AS levels to judge. Therefore this leaves me with the question of whether my GCSEs are deemed correct for these courses at Oxford.
Further Maths - A
English Language - A
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

so I got 10A*s,3As and a B overall. I know hese are good results, but I will be competing with people who have to all A*s at GCSE. DO you think thes will get me an interview.

For a levels I am taking: Biology,chemistry,maths, economics and an EPQ
I am tjinking about doing History at Oxford, what do admissions tutors think about my subjects History Geography Politics and Englishlanglit (combined) is this a good mix or too soft for Oxford??
Original post by BULL14
Firstly, I have visited Lady Margaret Hall on a couple of occasions, as I do live in Oxford. Thus, I am keen to appl to your particular college. My question, however is:

I want to apply for biology related course (medicine,biomedical biological sciences) at oxford or PPE.
Since biological sciences and biochemistry don't have an admission test, surely they would expect applicant to do well in their GCSEs, since they wont have AS levels to judge. Therefore this leaves me with the question of whether my GCSEs are deemed correct for these courses at Oxford.
Further Maths - A
English Language - A
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

so I got 10A*s,3As and a B overall. I know hese are good results, but I will be competing with people who have to all A*s at GCSE. DO you think thes will get me an interview.

For a levels I am taking: Biology,chemistry,maths, economics and an EPQ

Hi there,

Your GCSE profile is stronger than our "average" successful applicant's 5-7A*. Many with higher than this do not go on to receive offers from Oxford, however; just as many with lower do. Consequently, it would be impossible to say whether you would receive an interview - you need to make sure that you have an all round strong application (aptitude tests, personal statement, written work where appropriate), and even so it is only in the hands of our admissions tutors.
Hope this helps,

India
Original post by gliitter
Hi there, I'm looking to apply for medicine and I had been thinking a lot about whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge! I do like both of the courses but I do prefer the location and atmosphere at Oxford. I've been thinking Cambridge for a while now because I was a bit worried my GCSEs wouldn't be seen as 'competitive' enough for Oxford standards! I achieved 10 A*s and 2As and I suppose my number of A*s is relatively good but the proportion seems below average for Oxford. I haven't had a chance to ask anyone at Oxford about my GCSEs so any help would be really useful! I haven't received my A level predictions yet but my other stats are 2As in Geography and Maths AS level. Thank you for any help in advance! :smile:

Hi there,

I'm not sure where you've heard information about your GCSEs being not competitive enough for Oxford, but I can assure you this isn't the case: we say that in general a successful applicant has 5-7A* at GCSE, for Medicine this average is slightly higher (I believe around 8A*). Keep in mind that some GCSE students only take 9 or 10 GCSEs! Providing your predicted grades, personal statement and BMAT/UKCAT scores are also strong (you are right, it is competitive - but in more areas than just GCSEs!), you would be well placed to make an application for Medicine.

Hope this reassures you,

India
Original post by SuperHuman98
I am tjinking about doing History at Oxford, what do admissions tutors think about my subjects History Geography Politics and Englishlanglit (combined) is this a good mix or too soft for Oxford??

Hi there,

There would be no issue with this combination of subjects in applying for History. Of course, History would be the subject admissions tutors "focus" on the most, and if you were to receive an offer then it would stipulate that one of your As would have to be in that subject (eg AAAB with B in History would not satisfy the conditions of the offer). If you enjoy those subjects and feel that you are able to achieve the right grades in them, then great! They are particularly well-placed for a Historian because there are so many areas of each one which overlap into historical study.

As an aside on "soft subjects", Oxford accept both English Lit and English Lit/Lang as core offer subjects (not English Lang sole); English Lit is, however, generally better regarded and offers a slightly better grounding in the analytical/essay writing/research skills needed for an arts degree. Since you are applying for History, not English, this shouldn't be an issue for you - I just thought I would mention it for clarity, and to help anyone who may be reading this thread!India
Hi there,

I'm not sure where you've heard information about your GCSEs being not competitive enough for Oxford, but I can assure you this isn't the case: we say that in general a successful applicant has 5-7A* at GCSE, for Medicine this average is slightly higher (I believe around 8A*). Keep in mind that some GCSE students only take 9 or 10 GCSEs! Providing your predicted grades, personal statement and BMAT/UKCAT scores are also strong (you are right, it is competitive - but in more areas than just GCSEs!), you would be well placed to make an application for Medicine.

Hope this reassures you,

India

Hi, thank you for the reply! I think it was because on the website, it says that offer holders have an average of something like 94% A*. I have 83% A* so I think I felt a bit discouraged!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending