The Student Room Group

Postgraduate degree

Hello,

I am extremely interested in working for the civil service, likely in the foreign sector. Through what i have read the fast track scheme seems to be the best way into working for the civil service. However as i don't have any relevant experience in the field i don't think this would be the route for me at the moment.

My main question is whether a postgraduate degree would improve my chances of working for the civil service. I am a very keen learner and would love to further my study, likely in International relations and/or Asian Studies. Would this sort of masters help me towards the goal of working in the foreign office? Or would it be a better option to apply for a job as an administrator or find an internship?

Thanks!
Original post by IceCool
Hello,

I am extremely interested in working for the civil service, likely in the foreign sector. Through what i have read the fast track scheme seems to be the best way into working for the civil service. However as i don't have any relevant experience in the field i don't think this would be the route for me at the moment.

My main question is whether a postgraduate degree would improve my chances of working for the civil service. I am a very keen learner and would love to further my study, likely in International relations and/or Asian Studies. Would this sort of masters help me towards the goal of working in the foreign office? Or would it be a better option to apply for a job as an administrator or find an internship?

Thanks!

No a postgraduate degree wouldn't improve your chances, to get onto the fast stream you need to pass a series of tests e.g. verbal reasoning, non verbal reasoning, situational judgement, competency questionaire then if you pass all those you go onto the etray and then if you pass that you get through to the assessment centre where work experience may help provide some good examples.

Quick Reply