The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I've just done the UKCAT and achieved an average score of 623 for the 3 sections, but I did get Band 1 for Situational Judgement. I have mixed feelings towards this, is my score any good? And, which medical schools would be best to apply to in relation to this?
Hey guys, just did mine and got:

Verbal- 590
Quantitative- 800
Abstract- 860
SJ- 2

There is hope for all as this is my 3rd attempt after barely scraping 600 on my others. Any questions I would be happy to answer as I changed my strategy for this time round.
Original post by Joshbeks
Hey guys, just did mine and got:

Verbal- 590
Quantitative- 800
Abstract- 860
SJ- 2

There is hope for all as this is my 3rd attempt after barely scraping 600 on my others. Any questions I would be happy to answer as I changed my strategy for this time round.

Would you mind telling me what you did different this time round? I have mine tomorrow and i'm really nervous :/
quick question: has anyone used "Pastest" as a resource???
guys just warning you i saw this thread; I revised and worked hard for my UKCAT and did crap.

I did like really really bad and I thought everything was over and getting into med school was impossible

and then I got 3/4 offers.

solid advice- DO BMAT AS WELL. ukcat can be so so so hit and miss; i panicked on the day and did so much worse than i had been doing in practice; in contrast my friend who had done no revision at all did really well in ukcat, but had a poor personal statement and got all rejections despite applying carefully.

don't give up hope if your finding it dreadful, if anyone needs any support feel free to message me- I'm going to med school this september and have been on a gap year this last year (although it was my 1st time applying to uni during my gap year)

xx
Hi all, currently struggling the most with the VR section. How do the medify texts and questions compare to the actual exam? It's hard not only cause of the time factor but also some of the texts are really difficult :frown:
Original post by kayasparkles
Hi all, currently struggling the most with the VR section. How do the medify texts and questions compare to the actual exam? It's hard not only cause of the time factor but also some of the texts are really difficult :frown:

Hey,
I sympathise - I'm struggling with the timing too! From all the responses I've read, I believe that the actual exam is, on the whole, harder because the texts are either a bit longer than medify so take longer to read, or the same size as medify but have the four options questions where you have to scan the text to figure out the answer and doesn't have keywords. Or both? Seems like people do worse on VR than on QR or AR... :-/ Good luck!
My VR was solid in the ukcat. Got 530... Only a couple times got lower than 600 in the mocks near the start of prep, and was getting around 650ish in mocks for VR
AR was harder for me than mocks
QR about same.. did a little worse than the medify mocks etc

I got
VR 530 (FFS)
QR 750
AR 690
Band 2

avg 656 or something... Pretty poor

I should have done much better overall. I sat the exam at 8 this morning, which was a massive mistake.
DONT SCHEDULE YOUR EXAMS EARLIER THAN 11 PLEASE!! My main advice.

VR I got 2 T/F/CT questions. All my questions, bar one, required me to scroll down a little.
QR I got all my hard questions at the start (dunno if that's what others get?). It was about 40:60 hard:easy... I wasn't expecitng so many hard questions, and esp being at the start put me off. When I mean hard, I mean as in will take more than 40sec to complete and easy being <15 sec
AR I got probably 50% type 234 and 50% type 1. All my type 234 were after a couple type 1 sets
SJT had some quite repetitive scenarios
Original post by fuzzmuzz
Exam is in 2 weeks and Ive just started revising eeeek! I'll be using the 1000Q book and Medify. Are there any other revision tools that people found useful?? :smile:)
Just completemedguide.com and the Kaplan book, tbh they should cover 99% of what you'll need to know for the exam and application afterwards too, the rest you can get from TSR and googling.
Sorry but whats GEM and GAMSAT? I only heard of them from this thread
Original post by &Hope
Sorry but whats GEM and GAMSAT? I only heard of them from this thread

GEM: graduate entry medicine
GAMSAT: Graduate medical school admissions test
Original post by Mulbkat84
I am definitely still applying to Glasgow, but after having read some FOIs on Glasgow Uni UKCAT, it looks like the lower scores have tended to come from 'REACH' applicants - a widening access participation programme. It's bizarre that the UKCAT, which is allegedly meant to level the playing field for access to medicine across society, clearly has some shortcomings ;-)
But all I can do is hope at this stage :-)

For St. Andrews as my degree is over five years ago, they won't consider me at all.

That could be the answer - I believe reach applicants get 10% added to their UKCAT score at glasgow

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Original post by marsbar3007
Hey,
I sympathise - I'm struggling with the timing too! From all the responses I've read, I believe that the actual exam is, on the whole, harder because the texts are either a bit longer than medify so take longer to read, or the same size as medify but have the four options questions where you have to scan the text to figure out the answer and doesn't have keywords. Or both? Seems like people do worse on VR than on QR or AR... :-/ Good luck!

Hey just finished ukcat....I prepared using medify and completed all of their question bank. I was averaging about 650 on medify VR, but ended up with 600 in the real thing. The passages are definitely longer than on medify....but remember they are longer for everyone so it's all relative. I think the biggest mistake you can make on VR is panicking and rushing - I did this once I realised the passages were longer...especially because it's the first section!! Just stay calm and use your normal techniques. Luckily my QR and AR scores were much higher so brought my average up a lot in the end. I believe the QR was so much easier than medify and most of the AR patterns only seemed to have one or two rules...unlike some of the more complex on medify!

Just remember to keep calm on the day and don't waste too much time looking at the clock! Medify is great prep so be confident and good luck!!!
Original post by nellyelephant
Hey just finished ukcat....I prepared using medify and completed all of their question bank. I was averaging about 650 on medify VR, but ended up with 600 in the real thing. The passages are definitely longer than on medify....but remember they are longer for everyone so it's all relative. I think the biggest mistake you can make on VR is panicking and rushing - I did this once I realised the passages were longer...especially because it's the first section!! Just stay calm and use your normal techniques. Luckily my QR and AR scores were much higher so brought my average up a lot in the end. I believe the QR was so much easier than medify and most of the AR patterns only seemed to have one or two rules...unlike some of the more complex on medify!

Just remember to keep calm on the day and don't waste too much time looking at the clock! Medify is great prep so be confident and good luck!!!

Hope you are happy with your result! Thank you for the advice :-) What did you do once the medify bank was finished? Or did you finish it in time for the exam?
Hi all, just did my UKCAT today. It went much better than expected! Here are my scores:

VR - 900
QR - 900
AR - 770
SJ - Band 2. So, overall 2570 with SJ Band 2. I really want to apply to Edinburgh, but I've heard they're really strict with SJ, so I'm scared my Band 2 won't be enough :frown: Any thoughts/pointers?
Original post by Tinbite1
Would you mind telling me what you did different this time round? I have mine tomorrow and i'm really nervous :/

Well there is a 30 minute break essentially after VR as that section is a pilot so take time to relax and write down the formulae like percentage change. Also in QR, skip if it takes you more than 20 seconds to grasp the idea of the question. For AR I made sure I went over the test examples after already having done them to remind myself of the types of rules.
Original post by tyranitar
Hi all, just did my UKCAT today. It went much better than expected! Here are my scores:

VR - 900
QR - 900
AR - 770
SJ - Band 2. So, overall 2570 with SJ Band 2. I really want to apply to Edinburgh, but I've heard they're really strict with SJ, so I'm scared my Band 2 won't be enough :frown: Any thoughts/pointers?

Yes they're strict with it, but you'll only lose 1 or 2 marks from a marking scheme of about 40 in total! You'll have a top octile UKCAT (seriously well done, incredible score) which will make up for it. As long as your grades and PS and top notch you'll have a good shot

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Original post by L1234567

Our ears our burning! :colondollar:

Here's a link to the UKCAT practice question bank, the first 50 are free :smile:
Original post by Jesslouise1996
Just done my ukcat and got 627, I've got 5A*s and 5A GCSEs and AAAaa at ALevel, do you think I need to sit the BMAT?:frown:

Hey, I got something quite similar. PM me to discuss if you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by &Hope
is it worth applying for medicine for a Ukcat average of 590? I did it today and it went horribly wrong for some reason.... practiced sooo much but don't know what happened

GCSE's: 5 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs
AS levels: As in biology and chemistry, B in ICT (maybe I'll get that remarked and push it to an A) and a C in maths which I'm retaking all the exams for this year

I didn't do as well either for my UKCAT, however I do suggest to do the BMAT, and apply to BMAT universities. PM me to discuss more. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending