The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by lawgrad13
Forgive me for asking this silly question but how I check for internal vacancies? I started as a O a few weeks ago and people have said there are internal HO vacancies available. But when I check the jobs portal it only comes up with the roles advertised externally. Any help would be much appreciated.

Set up an account on the recruitment website, which you have probably done already, and verify it using your or your manager's work email address. Then when you search while logged on it should show internal vacancies too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgive me for asking this silly question but how I check for internal vacancies? I started as a O a few weeks ago and people have said there are internal HO vacancies available. But when I check the jobs portal it only comes up with the roles advertised externally. Any help would be much appreciated.

Its very likely that you are registered to civil service jobs so all you do is search for HEO JOBS and limit it to stage 2 and 3 and you should see an internal tax professional caseworker role I think there were 50 vacancies come up. The deadline for this is 16th September. I am also an o grade started a few months ago.
Hiya,

I applied for Birmingham. I got 4,5,5 and was told this would be enough to secure a place.

I do think its going to be next week that we will hear from them, but as we know...things can change very quickly....

well if they are going to recruit another 1000....means there is a shortfall...or they have decided to increase the numbers required. I was told there are not that many that will be on the reserve list for this role...but even if you are....you will still be considered soon as there is a big recruitment drive...
Original post by Escapalda lamen
Those were really relevant questions and also just to let you know and i'm pretty sure you are already aware that there are two HO TAX caseworker jobs being advertised one is external 1000 jobs and the other internal which both have deadline dates for next week. September 13th and September 16th. So now its a dilemma over whether to submit those applications as there is no certainty the results of the June application would have come through by then. I guess it will have to be a case of "better to be safe than sorry".

Sorry in slightly confused with your reference to the "deadline" being 13th and 16th of Sept, and then your reference to there being a dilemma over submitting an application?
Original post by rachie93
Sorry in slightly confused with your reference to the "deadline" being 13th and 16th of Sept, and then your reference to there being a dilemma over submitting an application?

I think he means he's not sure whether to put an application in for ANOTHER HO job when he might already have an offer coming from an interview for the last intake.

To clarify I am awaiting results for tax professional job from June. I was expecting results to be out by now but they aren't. If I was successful then there would be no point in applying for the two pending vacancies coming up. If I was unsuccessful then I would apply maybe even taking into account feedback which I very much doubt HMRC would give due to the number of applicants.
Many thanks for the replies. Just not sure to put down line manager's email address just yet given that I only started less than 3 weeks ago!
Many thanks for the replies. Just not sure to put down line manager's email address just yet given that I only started less than 3 weeks ago!

You need to put your managers email address. You're a civil servant now and you want to view internal vacancies, this is how you do that.
Hi all. Applied for the June intake. Scores showing 5 5 4. I'm an existing EO at another gov dept and I'm a bit anxious about making a switch.

My 2 main worries are....

1) the 2 strikes and you're out for the exams. Is it that strict. How difficult are the exams? Do many get let go? I've got so many commitments I couldn't jeopardise.
2) I'm not a natural at maths. Particularly mental arithmetic. Will this put me at a disadvantage? I'm a quick learner of processes but if I'll need the ability to difficult mental calculations on the fly I know I will struggle.

My interviewer tried to put my mind at ease on both counts but I'm skeptical.

Anyone here who is already on the programme that could offer any advice? I'd be eternally grateful.
Original post by Waki7866
Hiya,

I applied for Birmingham. I got 4,5,5 and was told this would be enough to secure a place.

I do think its going to be next week that we will hear from them, but as we know...things can change very quickly....

well if they are going to recruit another 1000....means there is a shortfall...or they have decided to increase the numbers required. I was told there are not that many that will be on the reserve list for this role...but even if you are....you will still be considered soon as there is a big recruitment drive...

Unless your "friend" is in civil service resourcing or is a BUH with knowledge of specifically how many staff will be recruited and where then I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt.*

Just because they've sat on the interview panel doesn't mean they know who will get a job.

I hope you do get a job, I'm just saying be careful saying that 4, 5, 5 is guaranteed a job offer...*
Reply 1090
Original post by Anxciv1878
Hi all. Applied for the June intake. Scores showing 5 5 4. I'm an existing EO at another gov dept and I'm a bit anxious about making a switch.

1) the 2 strikes and you're out for the exams. Is it that strict. How difficult are the exams? Do many get let go? I've got so many commitments I couldn't jeopardise.
2) I'm not a natural at maths. Particularly mental arithmetic. Will this put me at a disadvantage? I'm a quick learner of processes but if I'll need the ability to difficult mental calculations on the fly I know I will struggle.

Anyone here who is already on the programme that could offer any advice? I'd be eternally grateful.

Where the individual is appointed on promotion:

Appointment is on substantive promotion conditional on the successful completion of a Training Assessment Period (TAP).

Individuals who fail to pass any of the required tax professional assessments after 2 attempts will revert to their previous grade, unless they are able to demonstrate that they can apply the relevant knowledge and skills consistently and effectively

Individuals who do not complete the essential learning within the TAP, or where they are unable to demonstrate they are effective in the role, will revert to their previous grade and will be found a different post or placed in the redeployment pool as appropriate

hope this helps. i think if if dont pass, they will demote you back to your original grade.
Reply 1091
Hiya,

I wouldn't assume that. i got a 5,4,4 in the feb 2016 recruitment and got on the reserve list. just got a provisonal offer last month. espect a long wait. i have no idea how they are recruiting. maybe they expect alot of dropouts. who knows???
Hi all,

Spoken to a colleague who was on the panel....had my score checked and confirmed it was the score I got for my interview and confirmed 4 was the pass mark.

Not going to celebrate too soon! Still holding tight until that email confirms the real deal!

She also mentioned there is hardly many that will be on the reserve list....sooo hoping the process to be smooth....well smoother!

Internal candidates will find out earlier compared to external which should be around the 15th/16th....

Well I hope your right !
Original post by Anxciv1878

What did your interviewer say to put your mind at ease? I'd imagine if Maths was an important attribute they would have demanded more than C at GCSE as that's a very basic requirement for any job

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've received an email this morning stating that I have passed the interview stage and they will be in touch shortly - I'm assuming they are now working through those who passed the interview stage and are deciding who to give a conditional offer to or not.

I applied for the June 2016 intake by the way! Good luck everyone x
I've received an email this morning stating that I have passed the interview stage and they will be in touch shortly - I'm assuming they are now working through those who passed the interview stage and are deciding who to give a conditional offer to or not.

Well done Congratulations. What location did you apply for? did you get any scores for your interview?

Hey, I got the same email. Although I haven't got my scores in the feedback section just yet. I applied for Newcastle only. Fingers crossed we make the grade :smile:

Congrats! Same for me too! I got 4, 4, 4 for my interview scores so will wait to receive an offer before I can totally relax!
It looks like they're updating everyone to "Application being reviewed" now...positive that so many have passed the interviews but now they'll have to rank everyone and it will be a case of the best being offered roles...whenever that will be...
So people are not actually offered a role yet??