The Student Room Group

Resitting an A

Hi guys. I got UMS 105 (raw marks=65) in my unit 4 Biology Edexcel and it was only one mark away from UMS 108 (raw marks=66 a*). I was going to go for a remark but I dropped the decision and will instead go for a re-sit altogether.

I'm aiming for an A* in my overall A2 for uni requirements, and UMS 105 only leaves me with 15 marks to lose in both Unit 5 and 6. So going for a resit seems sensible.

I, however, am still not sure of what to do and whether I should resit or not. Last session i felt like I did great, honestly I knew it's not my max but i felt good coming out of the exam, and my preperation was pretty hard. I am not sure I'm going to do better or even as good the second time round.

What would you do if you were me and what would you advise me for the resitting revision? I'm a very lazy person and only get good grades because I easily understand the concept and memorize the key points, words and sentences. How can I go deeper like a real A*-deserving student?

Thanks in advance. It would mean a lot if you replied i'm in a big dillema :smile:
Original post by nadaezraturner
Hi guys. I got UMS 105 (raw marks=65) in my unit 4 Biology Edexcel and it was only one mark away from UMS 108 (raw marks=66 a*). I was going to go for a remark but I dropped the decision and will instead go for a re-sit altogether.

I'm aiming for an A* in my overall A2 for uni requirements, and UMS 105 only leaves me with 15 marks to lose in both Unit 5 and 6. So going for a resit seems sensible.

I, however, am still not sure of what to do and whether I should resit or not. Last session i felt like I did great, honestly I knew it's not my max but i felt good coming out of the exam, and my preperation was pretty hard. I am not sure I'm going to do better or even as good the second time round.

What would you do if you were me and what would you advise me for the resitting revision? I'm a very lazy person and only get good grades because I easily understand the concept and memorize the key points, words and sentences. How can I go deeper like a real A*-deserving student?

Thanks in advance. It would mean a lot if you replied i'm in a big dillema :smile:

Yes, if you decided not to remark it then probably 'safe' to resit it. Advidce from Biology students would be nice but at the same time, from past papers etc (and maybe your actual exams if you somehow know where you lost marks) you can kind of figure out what you need get an A*, whether that's through just knowing/understanding more content or maybe an essay question if you have that and how you answer itt, whether you need to be more familiar with the key words in mark schemes etc.
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, if you decided not to remark it then probably 'safe' to resit it. Advidce from Biology students would be nice but at the same time, from past papers etc (and maybe your actual exams if you somehow know where you lost marks) you can kind of figure out what you need get an A*, whether that's through just knowing/understanding more content or maybe an essay question if you have that and how you answer itt, whether you need to be more familiar with the key words in mark schemes etc.

Thanks a lot :smile: i'll try doing all that!
Do you think it's stupid that i dropped the remark option?
Thanks a lot :smile: i'll try doing all that!
Do you think it's stupid that i dropped the remark option?

It's all in the past now so no need to think about it that much. if you were going to resit it anyway then you may not have had too much to lose (unless you dropped a grade somehow) so maybe it was worth the risk.
Original post by SeanFM
It's all in the past now so no need to think about it that much. if you were going to resit it anyway then you may not have had too much to lose (unless you dropped a grade somehow) so maybe it was worth the risk.

I still did not lose the remark chance i can still go for it, but i just do not want to get my hopes up and slack in revision. I figured nothing's gonna happen anyway, because i was told there is no difference between an a and a* in an individual unit. Do you reckon anything can change? Should i go for the remark?
I still did not lose the remark chance i can still go for it, but i just do not want to get my hopes up and slack in revision. I figured nothing's gonna happen anyway, because i was told there is no difference between an a and a* in an individual unit. Do you reckon anything can change? Should i go for the remark?

True, there is no difference whether you get an A or A* in an individual unit but the UMS all counts. Up to you though, in that situation I would remark despite the danger of not doing well for whatever reason in the final exam.. but don't base your decision on what I would do :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
True, there is no difference whether you get an A or A* in an individual unit but the UMS all counts. Up to you though, in that situation I would remark despite the danger of not doing well for whatever reason in the final exam.. but don't base your decision on what I would do :tongue:

I'll rethink the whole thing! Thank you so much for helping, i was really confused, thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest