The Student Room Group

Medicine- Decision or statistics

I'd like to study medicine and am starting my maths AS. I know they usually say that if you want to go into medicine or the sciences you should choose statistics. However decision maths seems much more appealing to me. Will this affect my chances of getting a place or put me at a disadvantage compared to other students
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't do decision maths! I got an A in every other module in A level maths and further maths but I got 61 in D1 because it was so different to the rest of maths. Even if it sounds more interesting, I know a lot of people who got worse grades in decision maths, and your grade at AS (so when you've not had time to resit) will be important for medicine. I'd recommend doing statistics just on the basis that you might get a better grade.

Universities won't care which maths modules you pick because at a lot of school students don't get to choose their modules, so I wouldn't bother choosing a module based on how prestigious or relevant it is to medicine.
Original post by sarahr94
Don't do decision maths! I got an A in every other module in A level maths and further maths but I got 61 in D1 because it was so different to the rest of maths. Even if it sounds more interesting, I know a lot of people who got worse grades in decision maths, and your grade at AS (so when you've not had time to resit) will be important for medicine. I'd recommend doing statistics just on the basis that you might get a better grade.

Universities won't care which maths modules you pick because at a lot of school students don't get to choose their modules, so I wouldn't bother choosing a module based on how prestigious or relevant it is to medicine.

Is it true decision has the highest grade boundaries
Reply 3
Original post by chelseafc141
Is it true decision has the highest grade boundaries

I'm not sure about that as I did my A levels in 2012. I just know that everyone in my school did a lot worse in D1 than at other modules (and only the further maths pupils did it, so everyone was getting As in everything else), and people from other schools I've discussed it with hated D1 too.
Reply 4
It will literally make no difference, so do the one you're going to do best at :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending