The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year

Can anyone who did a gap year and made a successful application to medicine tell me what stuff they did and whether they regret doing a gap year? I'm not entirely sure whether to do a gap year because I got a B in AS Chemistry and my school won't predict me an A, which means I can't apply to any medical schools at the moment. Someone help with advice?
Reply 1
Sounds like you have no choice but to achieve AAA and take a gap year. It's very common to do this, and it gives you a chance to earn some money/ get more experience. I didn't take one, but I know a fair few people who did, and none of them seem to regret it- not that they had much of a choice, a bit like you at the moment :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
Sounds like you have no choice but to achieve AAA and take a gap year. It's very common to do this, and it gives you a chance to earn some money/ get more experience. I didn't take one, but I know a fair few people who did, and none of them seem to regret it- not that they had much of a choice, a bit like you at the moment :smile:

I havent done UKCAT yet (mine is on Saturday) but say I did very well (over 750) would I still not have a chance of getting in?
Reply 3
Original post by HotChocolate007
I havent done UKCAT yet (mine is on Saturday) but say I did very well (over 750) would I still not have a chance of getting in?

Without being predicted AAA, I do not believe it is possible to get an offer at any UK medical school. Sorry, I believe this is one of the first requirements for every medical school.
Is there any chance of increasing your predictions?
UKCAT prep is still useful as you will need it next year, but I don't think this changes your chances this year.
Original post by Ezme39
Without being predicted AAA, I do not believe it is possible to get an offer at any UK medical school. Sorry, I believe this is one of the first requirements for every medical school.
Is there any chance of increasing your predictions?
UKCAT prep is still useful as you will need it next year, but I don't think this changes your chances this year.

No, I mean our school is quite strict, I was 6marks from an A, a remark is out of the question so I'm stuck with a B. I even told them I wanted to do med and they were like well you have to think again.

I mean medicine is definitely the road I wanna take, I have done so much work exp and volunteering to try get into med and then when someone turns around and says, "oh but you got a B" which is the only thing holding me back, it's quite frustrating to hear, especially weeks before applications are due.

My options are gap year then reapply, or do a 3year course like biomed then do graduate entry medicine. Gap year seems more appealing though :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by HotChocolate007
No, I mean our school is quite strict, I was 6marks from an A, a remark is out of the question so I'm stuck with a B. I even told them I wanted to do med and they were like well you have to think again.

I mean medicine is definitely the road I wanna take, I have done so much work exp and volunteering to try get into med and then when someone turns around and says, "oh but you got a B" which is the only thing holding me back, it's quite frustrating to hear, especially weeks before applications are due.

My options are gap year then reapply, or do a 3year course like biomed then do graduate entry medicine. Gap year seems more appealing though :/

Gap year definitely seems like the way to go then :smile: use it to make your application even stronger, and enjoy yourself before such a demanding degree
Original post by Ezme39
Gap year definitely seems like the way to go then :smile: use it to make your application even stronger, and enjoy yourself before such a demanding degree

thank you so much, lets see how it goes :smile:
Reply 7
Gap years are amazing, take it from me. Didn't get into med school last year, but is successful this year and going off to Cambridge on October.

The world is your oyster during a gap year, take this as an opportunity to gain some experience in life. Work, travel, volunteer, learn, meet new people!

In the meantime, focus on getting the As for your A-level.
Original post by Vodka
Gap years are amazing, take it from me. Didn't get into med school last year, but is successful this year and going off to Cambridge on October.

The world is your oyster during a gap year, take this as an opportunity to gain some experience in life. Work, travel, volunteer, learn, meet new people!

Thank you for the vote of confidence I needed it! What things did you do in your gap year? Would med schools look at me unfavorably if I take one?
Original post by Vodka

Yeah as OP said what did you do in your gap year :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending