The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHungryStudent
I want to do EPQ preferably on something to do with either the rapid development of South Korea or relations between the two Koreas, however i'm seriously doubting myself about how much outside knowledge i have on it. Is it something you need to have 100% confidence on, and know everything about or is it something that you learn from as you write it. One reason i want to do an EPQ is to expand my knowledge, obviously you need to know about the subject though.

I did mine on embryo development and the ethical controversy around it and I had little to no knowledge about it before undertaking it as I did a lot about the biochemical processes that occur which I had no clue whatsoever and considering I got an A* I would say you definitely do not need to know about it already as it was also quite interesting to research.
Original post by Jehaan
I did mine on embryo development and the ethical controversy around it and I had little to no knowledge about it before undertaking it as I did a lot about the biochemical processes that occur which I had no clue whatsoever and considering I got an A* I would say you definitely do not need to know about it already as it was also quite interesting to research.

Thanks for the quick reply! I feel so much more relieved now. Just reading the EPQ threads it seems like people have done so much more preparation so early on and my sixth form hasn't mentioned anything.
Original post by TheHungryStudent
Thanks for the quick reply! I feel so much more relieved now. Just reading the EPQ threads it seems like people have done so much more preparation so early on and my sixth form hasn't mentioned anything.

No problem! If it makes you feel any better I pretty much left all my work until 2 weeks before the deadlines. I actually was working on it until 5 minutes before we had to hand in our production logs! Whereas I have another friend who worked on it every week on a Sunday and she also got an A* so maybe a compromise would be best? Where you do a bit every week but do not feel guilty fi you do not manage to fit it in
Reply 163
Hello!I start sixth form on Monday and I have decided to do the EPQ. I didn't know I would be doing it before the summer or I would have thought about my topic during the holidays but I had a meeting today with sixth form tutors to choose my a levels and it was suggested that I do it. I was originally thinking about basing it on child behaviour as I want to be a primary school teacher. However I am now considering something to do with education in poor/underdeveloped countries. I'm not totally sure what to do though as I know this is a very broad subject. I would prefer to do a written report but I am not sure what else I could do. Any ideas would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Alex347_
Hi, I got my EPQ result today and I got an A*. I'm not here to boast; I thought many of you might like to ask some questions about the qualifications.

I can offer you the best help at [email protected]

How did you start to organise all your research and begin the actual essay?
Hey, i'm also planning to do my epq on economics as well, but i'm struggling to find a specific part of economics to delve into.
Reply 166
Hey how long does it take to receive your results from submission?
Original post by bparris2
Hello. How did you set out the essay. And do u have any tips for the log book. Or anything extra to get that a*. Thanks

I did an abstract (summarizing your report in a short paragraph), Contents list, table of figures, introduction and then started writing my report in accordance to my table of contents with headings at the top. For the log book, make it as detailed as possible e,g, include names, places and any other specific things which you encountered during your project. In order to get an A* you need to fully understand the mark scheme and what it is asking you to do to get top marks and then compare this (be realistic) with what you have produced. Also using model answers are also useful in getting A*.

Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by Maria24365
Hey, i'm also planning to do my epq on economics as well, but i'm struggling to find a specific part of economics to delve into.

Looking at a macro scale might help e.g. I looked at the extent to which the UK has recovered from the 2008 recession and the social, economic and political and international impacts associated with the recession/ recovery.

For you I might suggest looking perhaps at the impact maybe of global economic shocks to different economies e.g. the brexit on the UK economy or the global financial crisis on the US and other economies etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas but its worth isolating what you find most interesting about economics then taking it from there I guess. Good luck! :smile:
Did you do it on a specific area of Economics or on Economics as a whole. Did you give a more broad evaluation of the topic as a whole or not? E.g. Macro and micro economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
please could you help me with my EPQ title, i want to do it on migration but not sure how to title it/
I only have 1 question. How do you get started on an EPQ? I have my topic idea, but need to make it into a question, and I have a couple of websites that I could use for research.. So basically, how do I start it up? I want to make a plan but how?
Original post by perflous
First of all - congratulations! That's a great achievement.

I'm currently doing my EPQ now (I'm in Year 13) and have left it a bit on the late side. How many hours of work did you put in each week, and for how many weeks? I'm doing the Edexcel exam board and I'm doing a social sciences dissertation. I've got a bit of the way through but still need to properly write the main body of the essay.

Do you have any general tips that helped you get your grade?

Hey I'm doing my EPQ, can you help me with my title?
Hi, I got my EPQ result today and I got an A*. I'm not here to boast; I thought many of you might like to ask some questions about the qualifications.

Congratulations on your A* first and foremost! I have signed up to do the EPQ and have decided on a question however I am struggling to present and record my progress with the research. I have started writing log entries every time I do a bit of research about what I have learnt and how I can incorporate it into my EPQ however I don't know if I am going the right way about it!

Can you do this outside of school ?
Currently doing the proposal form. Need it done my Tuesday.

I've been asked to include timings for Evaluation and Presentation.

What do these two aspects involve and what should I put?
Original post by nisha.sri
Can you do this outside of school ?
I suppose you could, but you would need to have it marked by a centre and therefore administered through a centre.
Original post by 04MR17
I suppose you could, but you would need to have it marked by a centre and therefore administered through a centre.

Ah ok :smile: I would love to do it so i might ask my school :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Ah ok :smile: I would love to do it so i might ask my school :smile:
For them it would depend on the subject: because someone's got to be willing to mark it! The problem is that for schools, General Studies A Level is far more valuable (the same to UCAS) than EPQ. This issue is that Unis think the reverse.
My EPQ is due in next Thursday, I've been really hoping for an A or an A* in this! I've worked so much on it haha, saying that I bet I get a C :tongue: :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending