The Student Room Group

Average ukcat score and band 3 sjt - help me

Hi! Took my UKCAT test today and to be honest did not the best in it. For your reference, these were my scores:

VR - 540 (shattered)
QR - 830
AR - 650

Total - 2020 Average - 673.33
SJT Band - 3 :frown:

I need some help as I'm completely blacked out on deciding what universities to choose. I am looking at the London Universities in particular - Kings, Queen Mary and St.George.
I am extremely keen on applying to KINGS COLLEGE LONDON as it is one of my dream universities but I am gutted that my SJT Band is 3. Can someone please guide me giving advice as in what I am supposed to do? Help is very much appreciated! Thank you.

Other information:

IB (predicted) - Maths HL - 7 ; Physics HL - 7 ; Biology HL - 7 ; Chemistry HL - 7 ; English A: SL - 7 ; Hindi B: SL - 6.
Total Predicted - 44 out of 45.

I had completed the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) which is an Indian based curriculum before pursuing my IB. This is equivalent to the GCSEs.
CBSE - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology, English,Hindi - 10 Cumulative Grade Point Average out of a total 10 possible. (10/10).

I will be sitting for the BMAT exam in November. Apart from this, I have various research and work shadowing experience. I also have loads of sports participation and other extracurricular activities.
Please help me out here. Thank you very much!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It will be difficult to get into a UKCAT university with that UKCAT score unless they love your personal statement and your predicted grades are super good. Consider applying to BMAT universities if you meet their grade requirements. But I do think your score can meet some university cutoffs, for sure.
Reply 2
Tbh you do not have much of a chance at Kings as it has a really high UKCAT cut off St georges is realistic and perhaps unis that do not look as much at the UKCAT such as Cardiff or Bristol?
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
It will be difficult to get into a UKCAT university with that UKCAT score unless they love your personal statement and your predicted grades are super good. Consider applying to BMAT universities if you meet their grade requirements. But I do think your score can meet some university cutoffs, for sure.

Hey thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea about the cutoffs in particular? Do you have any idea how they use the SJT Band?
Original post by Jehaan
Tbh you do not have much of a chance at Kings as it has a really high UKCAT cut off St georges is realistic and perhaps unis that do not look as much at the UKCAT such as Cardiff or Bristol?

Hi thank you for the reply. Do you have any idea of Queen Mary? and also, do you know how all the three unis judge the SJT?
I'm afraid I do not know the exact cutoffs but do check the UKCAT Consortium for 2017, it typically has a few cutoffs. Another thought that has just struck me is that you may be eligible to apply to the King's EMDP program. To be eligible you must go to a non-selective state school in greater london. I believe their standard offer is ABB (but the offer can range from BBB-AAA)and they do not view UKCAT heavily. It is typically for those who cannot apply to their normal 5-year course. Note that the EMDP course is 6 years long, so the first year is a foundation year.
consider applying to Bristol as one of your option, their admissions process is 70 % weighted on personal statement.
SJT band 3 is real killer, some places even specify band 1, apparently it weighs heavily because its really important decision making as a doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by AspiringSword
Hi! Took my UKCAT test today and to be honest did not the best in it. For your reference, these were my scores:

VR - 540 (shattered)
QR - 830
AR - 650

Total - 2020 Average - 673.33
SJT Band - 3 :frown:

I need some help as I'm completely blacked out on deciding what universities to choose. I am looking at the London Universities in particular - Kings, Queen Mary and St.George.
I am extremely keen on applying to KINGS COLLEGE LONDON as it is one of my dream universities but I am gutted that my SJT Band is 3. Can someone please guide me giving advice as in what I am supposed to do? Help is very much appreciated! Thank you.

Other information:

IB (predicted) - Maths HL - 7 ; Physics HL - 7 ; Biology HL - 7 ; Chemistry HL - 7 ; English A: SL - 7 ; Hindi B: SL - 6.
Total Predicted - 44 out of 45.

I had completed the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) which is an Indian based curriculum before pursuing my IB. This is equivalent to the GCSEs.
CBSE - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology, English,Hindi - 10 Cumulative Grade Point Average out of a total 10 possible. (10/10).

I will be sitting for the BMAT exam in November. Apart from this, I have various research and work shadowing experience. I also have loads of sports participation and other extracurricular activities.
Please help me out here. Thank you very much!

Your UKCAT average is not too bad :smile: my advice would be to try looking at medical schools which:
1) focus more on other aspects of the application than the UKCAT. Some schools don't have a cut off score, but use it in conjunction with other academic/interview performances.
2) do not require a cut off for each section of the UKCAT, or make sure your lowest section exceeds their cut off. Otherwise, your UKCAT average score is solid.
3) do not exclude your SJT band of 3. If I remember correctly, last year some universities would use the SJT band to score applications, and others would not use the test in the application process. However, please check this up as things have most likely changed for this year (likely to have more medical schools using the SJT).

Good luck in your applications!

A

EDIT: if it were me, I would think it was too risky to apply to Kings with your UKCAT score, as it seems borderline and you never know how the boundaries will change year on year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amedic
Your UKCAT average is not too bad :smile: my advice would be to try looking at medical schools which:
1) focus more on other aspects of the application than the UKCAT. Some schools don't have a cut off score, but use it in conjunction with other academic/interview performances.
2) do not require a cut off for each section of the UKCAT, or make sure your lowest section exceeds their cut off. Otherwise, your UKCAT average score is solid.
3) do not exclude your SJT band of 3. If I remember correctly, last year some universities would use the SJT band to score applications, and others would not use the test in the application process. However, please check this up as things have most likely changed for this year (likely to have more medical schools using the SJT).

Good luck in your applications!

A

EDIT: if it were me, I would think it was too risky to apply to Kings with your UKCAT score, as it seems borderline and you never know how the boundaries will change year on year.

Thank you so much! I hope it won't affect me too badly! Do you suggest I apply to 3 BMAT Universities?
Original post by LightAtTheEnd

Not true at all. There are plenty of places that will accept a 673 UKCAT score average, it is a 'good' score and well above the average.

The only issue there is is the SJT band because some unis have started to take this into consideration. Try and avoid these unis if possible but most others should be well in reach.

I wouldn't recommend applying to three BMAT Unis. Two at max really as you never know how your BMAT will go on the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
Not true at all. There are plenty of places that will accept a 673 UKCAT score average, it is a 'good' score and well above the average.

The only issue there is is the SJT band because some unis have started to take this into consideration. Try and avoid these unis if possible but most others should be well in reach.

I wouldn't recommend applying to three BMAT Unis. Two at max really as you never know how your BMAT will go on the day.

Any idea how Barts treats such an application?
Reply 11
Original post by AspiringSword
Any idea how Barts treats such an application?

Barts use your UCAS tarif and your UKCAT score to rank applicants. One thing that helps is the fact that you do IB. Which gives an insane number of UCAS points. Depending on whether they look at your situational judgement score or not they might be a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am sorry to ask a question here,
Man, I am in similar situation... and I really need help, I hope you guys could help me.

My ukcat score is
VR- 580
QR- 830
AR-770
And SJT band 3.....
Average is 726.7, total 2180

I do IB as well! and my predicted grade 41 out of 45.
BioHL 7 ChemHL 6 MathHL 6 Eng B7 Koreanlit6 Geo 6 and 3 additional points.

I am dying, to go to Kings college medicine/
Would I stand a chance?
If not is there any schools that is suited for me?

Thank you, and bless you for the help
Stress is killing me.
I got:
VR : 530QR : 670
AR : 580
SJT: Band 3....

Any ideas which unis? kinda bummed...
[QUOTE=qiqi.leong;67838126]I got:
VR : 530QR : 670
AR : 580
SJT: Band 3....

Any ideas which unis? kinda bummed...

Sorry to hear it didn't go as you wanted :frown: Cardiff and Bristol don't have a cut off and neither does Aberdeen if I remember right. Could you sit the BMAT?
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Sorry to hear it didn't go as you wanted :frown: Cardiff and Bristol don't have a cut off and neither does Aberdeen if I remember right. Could you sit the BMAT?

I doubt so.. cuz Im currently doing my AS and the BMAT test date is in between exam dates... Just needa know which unis would accept my scores :frown:
[QUOTE=qiqi.leong;67838220]I doubt so.. cuz Im currently doing my AS and the BMAT test date is in between exam dates... Just needa know which unis would accept my scores :frown:

I think your best bet is to avoid the ukcat heavies such as Newcastle, kings and SOTON and apply to those which place less emphasis on ukcat scores, such as the ones I've mentioned above :smile: also worth applying to a biomes course at say Newcastle as there's the opportunity to transfer to medicine at a later date.
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
I think your best bet is to avoid the ukcat heavies such as Newcastle, kings and SOTON and apply to those which place less emphasis on ukcat scores, such as the ones I've mentioned above :smile: also worth applying to a biomes course at say Newcastle as there's the opportunity to transfer to medicine at a later date.

Thank you so much!! Really <3
Original post by qiqi.leong
Thank you so much!! Really <3

No problem, good luck!
i got 2630 on my ucat and band 3 on SJT. predicted all A*s for all sciences and maths a levels and had all As for them. do you think i have a chance at QMUL or KCL?

Latest

Trending

Trending