The Student Room Group

Should I get a part time job at nearly 18 years old?

Just about to start year 13. Should I be getting a job to start covering for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily. Although my plan is to save some money ready for freshers week, so that i don't have to think about covering it with finance (which could b a good idea). If you've got parents who can afford to start you of at uni - take advantage of it.

However, if you find a job that's relevant to your course - DO IT!! Work experience is always gold.
Original post by Gnatt27
Just about to start year 13. Should I be getting a job to start covering for uni?

I would always recommend getting a part time job in sixth form. It teaches you to be independent and so many life skills.

You can definitely tell who has had jobs / who hasn't when you go to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27

Yes definitely get a job the experience will always be useful
Reply 4
I have already done 4 weeks worth of work experience though if you say the money's not important only the experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Only jobs around for me would be wait rose or other supermarkets\ shops

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes, I think people should get a jjob as soon as they leave high school
Reply 7
How much would it affect my work though.I achieve ABCD at AS and want to push those up to AAB because I've dropped D and b and C are new spec so don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27
How much would it affect my work though.I achieve ABCD at AS and want to push those up to AAB because I've dropped D and b and C are new spec so don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why getting a job is so important. Most teenagers can manage a part time job and college therefore you should too. It teaches you a lot about time management, managing your own finances and working with others.

I actually think paid work at your age is so much more valuable than work experience - in paid work you need to prove yourself and work hard to ensure you keep your job - those life skills are invaluable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yes you should. If you apply for internships or work experience of any kind while at university it will be looked upon favourably if you have been consistantly employed through college etc. People will tell you that it's only a part time job at a supermarket and that it makes no difference, those people are wrong.

It shows that you have a work ethic and are employable (because you have been).
Original post by mizzsnazzter
This is why getting a job is so important. Most teenagers can manage a part time job and college therefore you should too. It teaches you a lot about time management, managing your own finances and working with others.

I actually think paid work at your age is so much more valuable than work experience - in paid work you need to prove yourself and work hard to ensure you keep your job - those life skills are invaluable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because a lot of teens can manage both doesn't mean OP should have to go get a job right this second.

OP ask yourself why you got the grades you did. If it's because even though you had the time you were just too lazy to put in the work and you're ready to do it this year, getting a job shouldn't affect you too much. If anything it could help improve your motivation.
If you did put in the work and still didn't do as well as you hoped, getting a job could be a bad idea as clearly you will need more time to go over things and make sure you know them. A2 is harder than AS so you need to establish what you need to do early rather than getting distracted by working.

Having extra money is great, but you have the rest of your life to get a job. Put your studies first or you might not even get into your uni of choice.
Original post by wickedisgood
Just because a lot of teens can manage both doesn't mean OP should have to go get a job right this second.

OP ask yourself why you got the grades you did. If it's because even though you had the time you were just too lazy to put in the work and you're ready to do it this year, getting a job shouldn't affect you too much. If anything it could help improve your motivation.
If you did put in the work and still didn't do as well as you hoped, getting a job could be a bad idea as clearly you will need more time to go over things and make sure you know them. A2 is harder than AS so you need to establish what you need to do early rather than getting distracted by working.

Having extra money is great, but you have the rest of your life to get a job. Put your studies first or you might not even get into your uni of choice.

It's because it says a lot about you. If most teenagers can have jobs too then you're clearly missing multi tasking and time management. Not to mention you obviously won't be independent which is a big no no for grad schemes

I really can't stress how important it is to get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
It's because it says a lot about you. If most teenagers can have jobs too then you're clearly missing multi tasking and time management. Not to mention you obviously won't be independent which is a big no no for grad schemes

I really can't stress how important it is to get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is important to get a job, I'm not arguing with that, but it's not the only important thing. It's very easy to say 'get a job, everyone should be able to handle it', but the truth of the matter is not everyone can. Also I'd assume it's probably going to be harder to do A2 now that the spec has changed and they have to stay on top of 2 years worth of content to get the high grades.
Personally I think it's better to ace your exams and get into a good uni without having a job than to fail your exams but have a job, but if OP can find a healthy balance then of course they should go for it.
Original post by wickedisgood
Yes it is important to get a job, I'm not arguing with that, but it's not the only important thing. It's very easy to say 'get a job, everyone should be able to handle it', but the truth of the matter is not everyone can. Also I'd assume it's probably going to be harder to do A2 now that the spec has changed and they have to stay on top of 2 years worth of content to get the high grades.
Personally I think it's better to ace your exams and get into a good uni without having a job than to fail your exams but have a job, but if OP can find a healthy balance then of course they should go for it.

I would agree with that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely yes - apply for anything you can find.

Having a part time job now will allow you to apply for internships when you are at uni, which in turn will allow you to apply for jobs once you graduate. If you do not find a part time job now then you will seriously struggle when trying to find a job after graduation.
Although everyone is saying otherwise, I'd really advise against it.
Reply 16
Why?
Reply 17
Really? I will seriously consider getting one then
@Gnatt27
I'll admit I had a part-time job when I was in year 11 and it was a great assistance in that I had money to spend and was able to be time efficient and how did it pan out for me I got d/c/b on my GCSEs and then i got 2 A-levels whilst i was operating my own business now i operate the same business and have made an increased take home figure of 7330% over 3 years
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending