The Student Room Group

ocr computing coursework 2016, I need help!!!!!!!

So i just started year 11 today and first lesson back I’ve been given my coursework in computer science. I knew i would be starting my coursework but not as soon as summer ended. So i ended up being given my coursework unexpectedly and to make things worse my teacher is off school and none of the student know for how long. No teacher has really messed me up because i really don’t know how to even start this coursework.

My coursework is programming 3 tasks in python and i am really struggling with the tasks. This coursework is 40% of my final grade and i really want to do well. so i really hope some people are able to help. please!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I will not be mentioning what the actual tasks are I’m just after hints and tips
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Take time by thinking everything through step-by-step - don't just go straight into the programming. Create algorithms (flowcharts/pseudocode) to help you to understand the main steps of the program and then go from there. The first task is usually very simple and then 2 and 3 build on top of that so you really want to make sure you fully understand what you are doing yourself, as opposed to getting someone else to do the thinking for you. Also, if you don't understand your program properly, you will severely suffer when it comes to doing your write up.
Why not just post your 3 tasks?
Original post by jaskaranbahra
so i just started year 11 today and first lesson back I’ve been given my coursework in computer science. i knew i would be starting my coursework but not as soon as summer ended. so i ended up being given my coursework unexpectedly and to make things worse my teacher is off school and none of the student know for how long. no teacher has really messed me up because i really don’t know how to even start this coursework.

my coursework is programming 3 tasks in python and i am really struggling with the tasks. i can send tasks if people are able to help me. this coursework is 40% of my final grade and i really want to do well. so i really hope some people are able to help. please!!!!!!!!!!

I understand - my teacher left my school before my class finished the OCR Computing A Level course. Long story short half the class had to do coursework on their own and the other half who were further ahead had to learn all of the exam content on their own (our school couldn't find a qualified replacement teacher).

Back when I did the OCR GCSE in Computing, you had to do a design, development and testing. Do it in that order, it is easier to write the progams if you have a rough idea of where to start, even a simple flowchart will help. Do not try to do all of it at once - get one part working then try to do the next part and link it all together. If you need help with a specific function, websites like stackoverflow.com will probably have an answer.

If you need more help with programming, khanacademy.com and codecademy.com will be able to teach you the theory which you can apply to the questions.

I'm afraid I can't give help with the specific tasks in question. OCR are very strict when it comes to sharing the tasks outside of your school. I remember they even changed the practical investigation syllabus because answers were leaked online. I can only give general advice, not how to specifically do a question, sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by !!mentor!!

OCR are very strict about leaking the tasks online - they aren't even meant to leave the classroom.
Original post by Dapperblook22
OCR are very strict about leaking the tasks online - they aren't even meant to leave the classroom.

yes see i don’t actually have the tasks on me i can only remember certain bits

i can only remember them and like i only remember the important bits

I'm sure he could type them up or something and then post them up? Otherwise, OP you're on your own.
i can only remember them and like i only remember the important bits

Okay. But unless we know what the questions are about, we can't help you work things out. It's up to you.
I understand - my teacher left my school before my class finished the OCR Computing A Level course. Long story short half the class had to do coursework on their own and the other half who were further ahead had to learn all of the exam content on their own (our school couldn't find a qualified replacement teacher).

Back when I did the OCR GCSE in Computing, you had to do a design, development and testing. Do it in that order, it is easier to write the progams if you have a rough idea of where to start, even a simple flowchart will help. Do not try to do all of it at once - get one part working then try to do the next part and link it all together. If you need help with a specific function, websites like stackoverflow.com will probably have an answer.

If you need more help with programming, khanacademy.com and codecademy.com will be able to teach you the theory which you can apply to the questions.

I'm afraid I can't give help with the specific tasks in question. OCR are very strict when it comes to sharing the tasks outside of your school. I remember they even changed the practical investigation syllabus because answers were leaked online. I can only give general advice, not how to specifically do a question, sorry.

ok thanks for the websites, i guess the bit I’m really struggling with is compression in python, i have no clue what it is
ok thanks for the websites, i guess the bit I’m really struggling with is compression in python, i have no clue what it is

Compression? Do you mean compressing data files into for example a ZIP folder?
Compression? Do you mean compressing data files into for example a ZIP folder?

compressions of data in a list
Okay. But unless we know what the questions are about, we can't help you work things out. It's up to you.

its to do with compressions in python
its to do with compressions in python

YouTube -> Python compression tutorial

It's literally that easy.

This isn't really the place, hit up the stackexchange or something.
compressions of data in a list

Do you mean concatenation, such as given a list ["Hello", "World"], printing out the whole list as one string or sentence such as "Hello World"?
You said compression, it isn't compression.
Yes, you can compress memory using the built in zlib, but this isn't GCSE stuff, that's way too advanced.
You're probably looking for concatenation, because you just started year 11.
Original post by Carthaginian
You said compression, it isn't compression.
Yes, you can compress memory using the built in zlib, but this isn't GCSE stuff, that's way too advanced.
You're probably looking for concatenation, because you just started year 11.

ok it may be concatenation then
Do you mean concatenation, such as given a list ["Hello", "World"], printing out the whole list as one string or sentence such as "Hello World"?

it may be this yes
Reply 18

The tasks are allowed to leave the classroom.
Source: Teacher is an OCR Computing/ICT Examiner and Moderator.
Original post by Aklaol
The tasks are allowed to leave the classroom.
Source: Teacher is an OCR Computing/ICT Examiner and Moderator.

Back when I had it, it explicity stated on the task sheet to not leave the classroom. I also had a teacher for GCSE who was an OCR moderator before he left our school.

Quick Reply

Latest