The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
just imagine what it would be like for someone much dumber like me who also doesnt know half of all students online :tongue:

"dumber" lol wat m8.

How was Camb? Are you back yet or...? :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
"dumber" lol wat m8.

How was Camb? Are you back yet or...? :biggrin:

lets be honest u were worth ss :tongue:
yea it was good thanks. Got back last night. Just gave out info on how the whole uni structure works in more detail which was interesting. effectively it all comes down to they can do nearly anything for u so long as u ask, otherwise it probably wont happen!
Original post by EnglishMuon
lets be honest u were worth ss :tongue:
yea it was good thanks. Got back last night. Just gave out info on how the whole uni structure works in more detail which was interesting. effectively it all comes down to they can do nearly anything for u so long as u ask, otherwise it probably wont happen!

Number Nine was worth S*S*. :'(

Are you going to do any asking or tough it out like you did with STEP/A-Levels? :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Number Nine was worth S*S*. :'(

Are you going to do any asking or tough it out like you did with STEP/A-Levels? :tongue:

lol what do u mean?
Reply 1184
Are pub crawls (freshers event) only for people who actually drink?
Original post by 12284

Well, the main focus of them will be drinking, but if you want to go along to meet people, have a chat and drink soft drinks, nobody's going to stop you.
Original post by 12284

If you want to join them, I don't think they'll say no. There're many students who don't drink because of various reasons, most commonly religious.
Not sure about 'pub crawl' they do during fresher's week, but I know several boys who don't drink for their religion but still go to pubs/clubs with their mates (too) often. I'd assume most people are accommodating to each other for fresher's week pub crawl too.
But you can ask them when you get there. :smile:
There isn't any fixed or general rule for such things, I think... :wink:

Edited to add:
Checked fresher's week time table at my daughter's old college on their JCR website.
They clearly state everyone is welcome for their pub crawls (note: not just one crawl.....) whether you drink or not. I assume it's same at other colleges but, as I said, ask your freshers welcome team when you get there.
Also, be assured they usually have one of two other options running at the same time as pub crawl if it's not your thing, too, so no need to worry about you may feel left out or obliged to join pub crawl.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can you get a room license for term time only? As they kick you out of your room out of term?
Original post by economics92
Can you get a room license for term time only? As they kick you out of your room out of term?

A room license?? You mean whether you're allowed to stay or not?

They have what they call 'residential week,' one week before a term starts and one week after a term finished. With extra cost (in most colleges) , you can stay during these weeks, no problem, though if you book a bit late and your room has been already booked for other purpose on the days you wanted to stay, you may have to move to another available room (and move back to your own room when it becomes empty if it's a pre-term residential week).

International students are often on longer contract than home students, and some of them stay over holidays, too.

Also, if you have some reason you want to stay at a college outside these weeks, you can do so as long as you pay for it. Again, you may be able to stay in your own room if it's available, or if not, stay at an available room they can offer and move back to your room when a term starts.

btw, you have to empty your room at the end of term (or residential week) and bring stuff back when you come back for a new term because they rent out rooms during holidays to conference/holiday schools/tourists or need a room to refurbish/repair during holidays.

Is this what you wanted to know?
Ah yes I see. Thank you. I just didn't want to pay for the room out of term when I wont be staying in Cambridge. The license runs till June so I guess they cover this in the costs.
Original post by economics92
Ah yes I see. Thank you. I just didn't want to pay for the room out of term when I wont be staying in Cambridge. The license runs till June so I guess they cover this in the costs.

"License" only covers a number of weeks that you decided to have as a contract with your college, I think.....
you only pay for the period when your staying in the college. That's why living cost at Cambridge is generally cheaper than other universities.
But it come with an inconvenience of having to empty your room/bring back belongings at ends/beginnings of each term.:tongue:

If you live in a college-owned house off the main site, many colleges usually allow you to leave your belongings in the house during holidays, though.
Also, many colleges have some (very limited) storage space for older students during holiday.
And all the wardrobes my daughter had in her college had a lockable part (about a half of wardrobe) in which she could leave some stuff and lock. Not sure if it's same at other colleges, though.....
(edited 7 years ago)
What is the bar crawl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What is the bar crawl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats where you are scrambling to safety in the King's bar after bigS has just floored you
(edited 7 years ago)
Pub crawl sounds so dirty though, idk y u would want to do it unless u like getting hammered
What is the bar crawl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to a pub with a group of friends. Have a drink. Go to another pub. Have a drink. Repeat...

You are crawling by the end...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Go to a pub with a group of friends. Have a drink. Go to another pub. Have a drink. Repeat...

You are crawling by the end...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ph so like that film the worlds end or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EricPiphany
Pub crawl sounds so dirty though, idk y u would want to do it unless u like getting hammered

It's literally just going to different pubs and having a drink in each, how is that dirty? And yes, people will be getting hammered (cheaper to do this in college bar than in town though) but it's not compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EricPiphany

#unitings
Reply 1198
Ph so like that film the worlds end or something.

Usually there are fewer alien replicants.
Original post by Helenia
It's literally just going to different pubs and having a drink in each, how is that dirty? And yes, people will be getting hammered (cheaper to do this in college bar than in town though) but it's not compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought doctors were supposed to discourage people from getting engaged in such activities.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending