The Student Room Group

A level computing

The a level computing at my school uses the board OCR and it includes one coursework practical project, and I'm not very fond of coursework so can someone tell me if the coursework project at a level computing is difficult or not??
Yo my Indian friend, don't worry, you're Indian.
Reply 2
Original post by Carthaginian
Yo my Indian friend, don't worry, you're Indian.

loooool, close but I'm sri lankan
Hi, I'm doing OCR A level computing at the moment. The coursework only applies to the full A level course and it's not too bad to be honest. It's up to the individual how complex or how simple to make your project, and so the difficulty relies almost entirely on what you choose to make. If you have programming experience then the creation really isn't that bad, if you don't then I wouldn't worry either since you'll have your first year to get used to programming a little.It seems to me that the majority of the coursework is more about writing about what you've made, which can be a bit of a pain at times. Although in this new spec I think they have put a few more marks into the creation rather than the written work. Overall though it's really not as bad as it seems as long as you're willing to put the time into making it good and improving it.I wouldn't let the coursework put you off doing the course though if you like the subject of computer science. I don't really like coursework, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be to be honest with you. After all, the coursework is only worth 20% of the final grade, so it's not too big of an element.Also, it's worth taking the course if you think you'll be interested anyway - if you don't like it, or later decide that you don't want to do the coursework, you could take the Linear AS Level instead and then you won't have to do the coursework at all!I hope this helped a little, I'm sorry that this post is so long haha xD
Reply 4
Original post by varshan_k
The a level computing at my school uses the board OCR and it includes one coursework practical project, and I'm not very fond of coursework so can someone tell me if the coursework project at a level computing is difficult or not??

Tbh with you, the OCR Computing spec is crap as hell. I feel sorry for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Aklaol

lol, crap as in hard?
Original post by Aklaol

I don't mind the OCR spec, what's bad about it in your opinion?
lol, crap as in hard?

And I haven't found it bad so far and I just finished the first year, although a lot of people have found it difficult.
Reply 7
Original post by wightsnowolf
I don't mind the OCR spec, what's bad about it in your opinion?

And I haven't found it bad so far and I just finished the first year, although a lot of people have found it difficult.[/QU

is it still possible to do computer science at uni without doing it an uni?? Also, would you recommend it to someone who's interested in computing but they don't know much about it?

is it still possible to do computer science at uni without doing it an uni?? Also, would you recommend it to someone who's interested in computing but they don't know much about it?

I don't think I've seen a university which requires computer science A level for a computer science degree course to be honest. Check on the websites of the universities you are considering. Universities usually look at your A level maths grades to determine if you are likely to succeed in a CS degree. Out of curiosity, what other options are you thinking of taking?

And yes definitely, I'd recommend taking it at A level. If you take it at A level you can see if you actually find it interesting before you commit to studying it at university.
Reply 9
I don't think I've seen a university which requires computer science A level for a computer science degree course to be honest. Check on the websites of the universities you are considering. Universities usually look at your A level maths grades to determine if you are likely to succeed in a CS degree. Out of curiosity, what other options are you thinking of taking?

And yes definitely, I'd recommend taking it at A level. If you take it at A level you can see if you actually find it interesting before you commit to studying it at university.

At the moment I'm doing maths, economics, business and accounting but hopefully I'm going to be changing it to maths, computer science, economics and business.
At the moment I'm doing maths, economics, business and accounting but hopefully I'm going to be changing it to maths, computer science, economics and business.

The universities will definitely look at your maths grade the most out of those in deciding whether to offer you a place for CS, possibly followed by CS if you took that. I'm not completely sure what universities think about economics and business in relation to CS since I don't take those subjects.
Reply 11
The universities will definitely look at your maths grade the most out of those in deciding whether to offer you a place for CS, possibly followed by CS if you took that. I'm not completely sure what universities think about economics and business in relation to CS since I don't take those subjects.

is it okay to do maths for a level without doing CS, and then can I still do CS at uni??

Quick Reply

Latest