The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vividly clear
And I guess you're like his assistant since I always see you answer with him or for him.

No. I'm not his assistant just another person using tsr to help people achieve
Original post by Trapz99
No. I'm not his assistant just another person using tsr to help people achieve

If you say so, I really don't care.

60% of the comments on this thread have been irrelevant to the original discussion, so you guys just keep it up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Overrated: KCL, has a average graduate salary of 25k for economics despite being situated in London, Aston even tops that.
If you go to KCL you could not get into LSE or UCL.

Unless your a dentist at KCL, your not that special.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Overrated: KCL, has a average graduate salary of 25k for economics despite being situated in London, Aston even tops that.
If you go to KCL you could not get into LSE or UCL.

Unless your a dentist at KCL, your not that special.

Graduate salary statistics don't say anything about the university or the course but the choices that the students at that university studying that course make. An economics student at KCL can do any of the jobs that an economics student at Aston can do and vice versa. Maybe for investment banking and law KCL might have the advantage but overall the graduate salary statistics do not make a university overrated.
Original post by Trapz99
Graduate salary statistics don't say anything about the university or the course but the choices that the students at that university studying that course make. An economics student at KCL can do any of the jobs that an economics student at Aston can do and vice versa. Maybe for investment banking and law KCL might have the advantage but overall the graduate salary statistics do not make a university overrated.

I was just trying to wind that guy up btw.
this apple watch guy thinks he's hilarious ; he's not offs
I have offers from Manchester and Bath and Birmingham for undergrad chemical engineering, which one would you say is best in terms of academic strength?Leaning towards Manchester but want to make sure it's a top-quality University for chemical engineering.
Original post by whydoidothis?
I was just trying to wind that guy up btw.

Original post by fefssdf
this apple watch guy thinks he's hilarious ; he's not offs

Original post by Karimbayoumi
I have offers from Manchester and Bath and Birmingham for undergrad chemical engineering, which one would you say is best in terms of academic strength?Leaning towards Manchester but want to make sure it's a top-quality University for chemical engineering.

"60% of the comments on this thread have been irrelevant to the original discussion"
"60% of the comments on this thread have been irrelevant to the original discussion"

The irony.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
The irony.

Exactly what I mean

You're really picking Manchester over Birmingham and Bath? Both the latter universities rank higher nationally overall and in Chemical engineering + better student experience. The only thing Manchester has over them is it's international ranking which is dubious to begin with considering their global rank is higher than other supremely better universities like LSE. Perhaps in the past, many decades ago, Manchester reigned supreme but now it's just a shell of its former self (much like KCL tbh)
If you can't help a prospective student, then really being silent is a better option, the unis I mentioned are involved in this thread heavily, so it feels more than relevant to ask for opinions on them since they don't seem to receive constant feedback.
Original post by grassntai
You're really picking Manchester over Birmingham and Bath? Both the latter universities rank higher nationally overall and in Chemical engineering + better student experience. The only thing Manchester has over them is it's international ranking which is dubious to begin with considering their global rank is higher than other supremely better universities like LSE. Perhaps in the past, many decades ago, Manchester reigned supreme but now it's just a shell of its former self (much like KCL tbh)

Thanks, tbh Manchester attracts me because of the city and the course. I hear it was always a powerhouse uni.
If you can't help a prospective student, then really being silent is a better option, the unis I mentioned are involved in this thread heavily, so it feels more than relevant to ask for opinions on them since they don't seem to receive constant feedback.

I gave you facts and answered your post. Obviously you seem to want to go Manchester so perhaps that is the place for you.
You're really picking Manchester over Birmingham and Bath? Both the latter universities rank higher nationally overall and in Chemical engineering + better student experience. The only thing Manchester has over them is it's international ranking which is dubious to begin with considering their global rank is higher than other supremely better universities like LSE.

Yes international rankings are dubious yet, the domestic ones that factor in rubbish like feedback quality and student satisfaction that places Uni's like Surrey above Imperial college are proper ways to judge Universities.

Perhaps in the past, many decades ago, Manchester reigned supreme but now it's just a shell of its former self (much like KCL tbh)

Obvious troll, obvious.
Yes international rankings are dubious yet, the domestic ones that factor in rubbish like feedback quality and student satisfaction that places Uni's like Surrey above Imperial college are proper ways to judge Universities.

Obvious troll, obvious.

TBH I think we should take all rankings with a pinch of salt. I think the top 5 universities in our country is obviously Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE. The others don't came close.
TBH I think we should take all rankings with a pinch of salt. I think the top 5 universities in our country is obviously Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and LSE. The others don't came close.

Take out LSE.

They don't deserve to be there.
I gave you facts and answered your post. Obviously you seem to want to go Manchester so perhaps that is the place for you.

This wasn't pointed at you. You actually helped so thanks.
No it didn't, so stop lying and giving out false information on my thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2014/dec/18/university-research-excellence-framework-2014-full-rankings

KCL IS 7th, Cardiff is 17th, not even in the top 15

Please check you are actually aware of what im talking about. The REF has zero to do with the Guardian. The results can be viewed here:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/k/a/s/over-14-01.pdf

TBH only Oxbridge has worldwide reputation and wow factor.